Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your fashion accessory weakness???

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
-Spearpoint collar shirts. With stripes. Most of my shirts are this way. Some Vintage, some cheap and new, some custom made. I am obsessive about the collar shape. The club collar comes second.

-30s unlined embroidered ties with small pattern. In general I prefer them to the popular 40s ties with big and bold prints. (but I love some of the latter as well)

-Snap cufflinks. Also known as Kum-Aparts (just look at the name!). I love the way the hold the cuffs together. Also the fact they have two similar ends and just the crazyness of a snap fastener

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
My weakness is diagonally striped ties where there are only two colors on the tie and the stripes are of equal width. I'm like that guy in The One only instead it's whenever I find and attain another of these ties that I become more powerful.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My weakness is diagonally striped ties where there are only two colors on the tie and the stripes are of equal width. I'm like that guy in The One only instead it's whenever I find and attain another of these ties that I become more powerful.

Club ties, I believe is the general description, even when they are not actually attached to a club. I am sure you can get one from your institute of education, whatever that might be.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'd have to say any sort of hat in general...
My barber asked me not to wear a hat on days when I'm to have my hair cut as it makes it difficult to cut (though I'm not sure how.) Thus today I found myself not wearing a hat while walking to my appointment, it was a very difficult ordeal... I actually carried my hat as a sort of comfort along the way and had it promptly on my head when I left the barber.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
I am sure you can get one from your institute of education, whatever that might be.

Haahahaha. Silly Yeps. This is the year 2011, remember. My institute of education doesn't have a school tie. A tie of any sort wasn't even required for graduation. Wasn't even suggested in fact. One guy that I spoke to on the day had actually managed to find a tie featuring our school colors, purely by chance, and wore that. Pretty sad, I know.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Haahahaha. Silly Yeps. This is the year 2011, remember. My institute of education doesn't have a school tie. A tie of any sort wasn't even required for graduation. Wasn't even suggested in fact. One guy that I spoke to on the day had actually managed to find a tie featuring our school colors, purely by chance, and wore that. Pretty sad, I know.

Sorry, Catholic school here (high school and college). I forgot that most schools don't even sell school ties. That is problematic. I could buy a college tie, a high school tie, or a house tie from high school. Yeah, we had houses like Harry Potter, even though we were not a boarding school.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
A lot of schools and organizations have an official tie. Many of the Masonic groups I belong to have official ties. I have a weakness for British regimental ties like those found in the link below. I'd probably never wear any of them in England for fear of insulting someone, but I really like a lot of the patterns.

http://www.mountainandsackett.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=19

Sorry, Catholic school here (high school and college). I forgot that most schools don't even sell school ties. That is problematic. I could buy a college tie, a high school tie, or a house tie from high school. Yeah, we had houses like Harry Potter, even though we were not a boarding school.

MikeBravo

One Too Many

That's not sad, that's awesome (in the modern parliance)

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
That's pretty hardcore Yeps. I grew up in England, in Harry Potter's county of Surrey, and even we didn't have houses in my school. We did have jackets and ties, but I'm reading that even some English schools have gotten rid of the uniform completely now - maybe one in five of them, one article stated - and of lot of the rest are going with either sweatshirts or polo shirts. I just finished university here in the US and the dress code was really relaxed. About as relaxed as a giant cat in a warm bathtub getting a four hand Asian massage. Actually a cat would probably hate that but you get the idea. People wore pajamas to class barefoot.

Nice site Lid, thanks for sharing that. Definitely, wearing the regimental tie would either go really well and get you a lot of free drinks, or end up with it being cut off by an old service bayonet. Hard to call. Those patterns really are great though - the "Sherwood Foresters" is precisely my weakness. I might just have to get that. Pricey though.

It was indeed awesome that the guy managed to find that tie Bravo. Only sad that he was reduced to scouting thrift stores in order to get it for his graduation. The reason I spoke to him was that I couldn't believe my eyes seeing it. He had me convinced that we had a school tie, and I wanted to know where they were selling it. Our colors are green and gold, and pretty particular shades of it at that, and his tie was an exact match. Turned out to be a fluke though.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I went to school and I had a school tie. I have four school ties. One regular one, one red and gold one (150th year commemoration), one leaving-year tie and one old-boy's tie.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
Yay it's the School Tie Thread now. I totally hijacked this mother. What's an old-boy's tie, Shangas? Is that for the alumni, or is it like for Old Kid in Invader Zim? The problem with my school tie, from the English equivalent of my high school, is that the colors were just really jarring - Royal French Navy blue and cherry red. It kinda looked like one of those video games that give kids seizures, otherwise I might still wear it now. My earlier school tie was much nicer - a dark British Racing green with a narrow white double stripe. I could try and get a hold of one of those, but maybe they're only available in one foot lengths.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yay it's the School Tie Thread now. I totally hijacked this mother. What's an old-boy's tie, Shangas? Is that for the alumni, or is it like for Old Kid in Invader Zim? The problem with my school tie, from the English equivalent of my high school, is that the colors were just really jarring - Royal French Navy blue and cherry red. It kinda looked like one of those video games that give kids seizures, otherwise I might still wear it now. My earlier school tie was much nicer - a dark British Racing green with a narrow white double stripe. I could try and get a hold of one of those, but maybe they're only available in one foot lengths.

Okay...

Regular school tie was the one you were expected to wear all the time.
The commemorative tie was issued for just one year. We were allowed to wear that during that year (and from what I remember, that year ONLY). I still have my tie somewhere.
The leaving year tie was of a slightly different design to the regular tie. You could only wear that one if you were in your graduating year.

The old boys' tie or I guess, what you'd call the alumni tie, is the tie that you wear if you've already graduated and you're attending any school-events such as reunions and such. I've got two of those. Never even put them on.

Feraud

Bartender
-Snap cufflinks. Also known as Kum-Aparts (just look at the name!). I love the way the hold the cuffs together. Also the fact they have two similar ends and just the crazyness of a snap fastener
A couple of years back I was browsing a small (really small!) thrift store in my area and asked about men's jewelry. The owner pulled out a box of junk and told me there were cufflinks in there somewhere. After sorting through the mess I eventually found 4-6 pair of snap cufflinks. They were stored unsnapped in the heap of junk! I had to work for that haul.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple of years back I was browsing a small (really small!) thrift store in my area and asked about men's jewelry. The owner pulled out a box of junk and told me there were cufflinks in there somewhere. After sorting through the mess I eventually found 4-6 pair of snap cufflinks. They were stored unsnapped in the heap of junk! I had to work for that haul.
Wow. Nice find. I also found single pieces of snap cufflinks at the fleamarket. Didn't buy them of course. I don't know why they try to sell things that are usuallyworthless when incomplete.

I don't know how old my cufflinks are. But I also have one damaged vintage pair that I bought of ebay and would be perfect art deco. I have to find one like this again. Until then I won't buy other cufflinks.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
-Spearpoint collar shirts. With stripes. Most of my shirts are this way. Some Vintage, some cheap and new, some custom made. I am obsessive about the collar shape. The club collar comes second.

-30s unlined embroidered ties with small pattern. In general I prefer them to the popular 40s ties with big and bold prints. (but I love some of the latter as well)

I am a fan of more conservative tie designs as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo