Your Favorite Film Costumes

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Inky, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Shirin

Shirin A-List Customer

I really like Ginger's outfit here, from Roberta. I like the full sleeves and those two dips in the pants, a lovely detail I think[​IMG]
    Also I would give all my clothes away just to have this dress on Rita from You were never Lovelier. I bet that dress just lit up the room![​IMG][​IMG]

Also love the lace detail on this dress, hey just don't make them like this anymore! I like the romantic feeling of the dress.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. kittypackard

kittypackard Familiar Face

Agreed, C-Dot, about loving "everything Jean Harlow wore." Jean's my gal, and she still sets the bar (in my humble opinion) for '30s glam. This isn't her most glamarous outfit, but it's my favorite-- it positively SCREAMS 1934! :)
    [​IMG]

3. kittypackard

oh my GOODNESS!!!! The outfit Ginger wears in the "Hard to Handle" number from Roberta has been one of my ALL TIME fav's!!! Well done you for singling that one out!!!

4. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

You can only mean this one:

[​IMG]

:)

5. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Agreed. I first saw it when I was a little magpie of a child, and I practically wee'd myself with desire.

Kittypackard: IMHO, you are right! Harlow is the 1930's.

6. Inky

Inky One Too Many

Yes! So fabulously CRAAAAZY! Thank you for finding that C-dot!!

7. Did you ever notice how sheer that dress is and how obvious it is that Ann isn't wearing a bra?
    The hands remind me more of an Adrian design.
    I will post some of my favorites later. This is going to be a GREAT thread!!

8. kittypackard

one of many ....

Very well put, this is going to be a FABULOUS thread!

Here is only ONE of many favorite film costumes ... the red velvet dressing gown Scarlett wears in GWTW when she and Rhett ... um ... well ....... yeah .... ;)

[​IMG]

this is tooooo much fun, ladies!!

9. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

Any movie from the 1920s or early 30s. I love the simple lines, the boyish figure, i just love everything about those gowns... :D

"Our Dancing Daughters" 1929 with Joan Crawford in the middle
    [​IMG]

10. kittypackard

Gorgeous! Ohhh the beauty of silver nitrate!! Thanks for posting this truly gorgeous photo! "Our Dancing Daughters" is playing Wednesday night at the Silent Movie Theatre down here in Hollywood! I'll be there--- I urge anyone else in the area to attend!!!

11. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

Yor welcome kittypackard! :D

12. Inky

Inky One Too Many

thanks for this info kittypackard - i might just be in downtown LA this week for Federal Jury duty (i'll know tomorrow) and if I'm in town maybe we'll go to the movies!

13. Coopsgirl

Coopsgirl New in Town

I loooove this dress Barbara Stanwyck wears in Ball of Fire (1941). I'd have no place to wear it but I want it anyway ;) .

[​IMG]

This outfit also from the same film is very cute.

[​IMG]

I love the dress Clara Bow wore in The Fleet's In (1928) and I actually found one very similar to it last summer at the Sag Harbor store.

[​IMG]

I have got to find a hat like the one Jean Arthur wore in Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936). I've found some in the same style but not the same material and design. Her coat is adorable too.

[​IMG]

14. miss_smith

miss_smith One of the Regulars

Oh, I can tell I'm going to love this thread!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Basically everything out of Singin in the Rain and American in Paris.
    [​IMG]
    And the wedding dress of my dreams!
    Not of the era, but I pretty much loved everything in Atonement except the green dress, which was way too hyped. I loved Briony's little sailorish dress but couldn't get a shot of the front.
    [​IMG]
    This costume didn't seem to get any recognition, but it was by far my favorite:
    [​IMG]

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

How about Bebe Daniels' snazzy Orry-Kelly pajamas in the "Getting To Be A Habit With Me" number from "42nd Street." Very very classy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0zrk_pPjf8

I also approve of the outfits the fellas have on, especially the one who wears suspenders over a tucked-in sweater.

16. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

Superb thread, ladies, and it showcases the excellent taste you all have!

I'm sending the link to this thread to my wife and some female friends.

In my eyes, these photos embody what The Feminine is all about and they show (visually) why it's so worthwhile and beautiful.

(And how sadly far The Feminine has fallen today by contrast!)

17. Here are a few of mine. There are some I love but can't locate pictures for.
    I adore this outfit on Jeanne Crain in State Fair. In fact I love ALL the dresses she wears in this film.
    [​IMG]

My favorite Jeannete MacDonald gown from New Moon.
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous Ginger Rogers in The Major and The Minor
    [​IMG]

18. *Schatzi*

*Schatzi* Familiar Face

Ok so this isn't a costume per say. It's a pair of shoes and I don't believe they were in a movie....buuuut they were worn many times for many different photo shoots. They were Marilyn Monroe's clear platform shoes. She loved these shoes and she could swap out the ribbon for a different colour to match whatever she was wearing (she wore these with swimsuits). I have wanted a pair for years and hoped someone somewhere made a repro version.

With black ribbons:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With red:

[​IMG]

With white:

[​IMG]

Sorry I am in love with these shoes. So vintage, so versatile, so cute!!

19. Antje

Antje One Too Many

OMG what a great costumes love them,
    I'll try to post a pic of my favorite

20. Antje

Antje One Too Many

[​IMG]

My all time favorite dress from my all time favorite movie