Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Bugguy

Practically Family
"Don't get mad-get even"

Attributed to Joseph Kennedy Sr. and later to Robert Kennedy, but Kennedy mystique aside, delivered best by Flounder... "We have an old saying in Delta House: Don't get mad,get even" (Animal House, 1978).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tom Horn: Listen, why are you hangin' around with me?

Glendolene Kimmel: Because you are a link to the Old West.

Tom Horn: If you really knew how dirty and raggedy-assed the Old West was, you wouldn't want any part of it.

skydog757

A-List Customer
"Don't get mad-get even"

Attributed to Joseph Kennedy Sr. and later to Robert Kennedy, but Kennedy mystique aside, delivered best by Flounder... "We have an old saying in Delta House: Don't get mad,get even" (Animal House, 1978).

I think that quote was told to Flounder by the D-Day character. I usually don't quibble but Aminal House is one of my favorites.

Bugguy

Practically Family
I think that quote was told to Flounder by the D-Day character. I usually don't quibble but Aminal House is one of my favorites.

You're absolutely correct. My error. It was a great line and has served me well in encouraging some cooling-off time.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Well Colonel... there are suvivors of all massacres and if any of my men are killed I will personally be the one to hunt you down and put the rope around your neck!"

Major Wollenski "Battle of the Bulge"

Worf

Albert (pointing to dead body lying in the street):

"For three days the highest official in our town has been dead and nobody has even replaced him. Great! Now the wolves are dragging away the body as if to illustrate my point. Bye Mr Mayor! I hope you enjoy being wolf s***!"

...A Million Ways to Die in the West

Last edited:
Peaky Blinders
"My eyes are looking straight ahead and I'm liking what I see."

Chief Inspector Campbell after having ordered the police to stand down in anticipation of the final clash between the Peaky Blinders and the Birmingham Gang led by Billy Kimber.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
There isn't a great difference between our ages, Susanne, but there is a hundred years between the way we've lived.

The Man Between (1953)

skydog757

A-List Customer
(Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, after Holmes has just explained a rather complex reasoning problem to a thoroughly confused Watson):

Watson: (Bumbling and unsure) Oh, of course! Why, a child could figure it out.

Holmes: Not your child, Watson.

This comes from one of the many films that Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce did as the detective and his assistant and is indicative of the nature of their relationship in this film series. Although I loved those movies, I really didn't care for how Watson was presented (dim-witted) and usually treated (snide remarks). I much prefer the more recent interpretations (the Downey/Law films and Elementary) wherein Watson is treated as an equal partner. Holmes is also shown to be idiosycratic and difficult and Watson becomes his buffer or handler, a very necessary role

"You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I would show you but I'm too old, I'm too tired, too f****** blind. If I was the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place!"

... Scent of a Woman

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
There's one other thing about Rudy's and that's trouble. You can get it by the yard, the pound, wholesale or retail.

Pete Kelly's Blues

"You're going to need a bigger boat" from Jaws, what the police chief says to Quint when he first sees the shark.

This one says it all both to the moment in the movie and as a metaphor for any situation calling for a new strategy, especially one requiring more firepower (force, money, brains, time, etc.).

It also has an Occam's Razor simplicity: no fancy strategy, no technology solution, just "that's a damn big shark, we need a bigger boat to catch him" logic.

And it can be applied quite regularly in life when your wife, parents, child, friends, etc. bring a problem to you that basically requires more firepower (again, not necessarily physical firepower, but time, effort or thought firepower) than they have allotted to it. It's a powerful way of expressing what is needed.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"He's always been a king in his world but we'll teach him fear!"

"Call out the Riot Squad and ambulances... Kong's escaped!"

"Don't go on the roof there'll be shooting!"

King Kong... "The 8th Wonder of the World"!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot