Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

GHT

I'll Lock Up
bigger boat.jpg

The line "You're gonna need a bigger boat" from Jaws (1975) is one of the most iconic quotes in movie history. Spoken by Chief Brody moments after the eponymous shark appears behind the Orca.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I know that for every German killed, many of our innocent civilians are executed. But the example of their heroism is contagious and our resistance grows. Oh it’s very easy to talk about heroism in the free countries. But it’s hard to talk about it here where our people are starving. The hard truth is, the hungrier we get, the more we need our heroes.

I must go not because I’m harmful to society, which is you, but because I’m harmful to tyranny.

Albert Lory, from This Land is Mine, 1943

Last edited:
(Holding a gun to Bob Ford’s head, whispering) “If you so much as mention my name to Jesse... Boy, I'd find out about it. You had better believe that. And I'll look you up! I will knock on your door! And I will be as mad as a hornet! I will be hot!” — Dick Liddil, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

“He considered himself a Southern loyalist and guerrilla in a Civil War that never ended.” — narrator speaking of Jesse James, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

“And yet he thought incense was made from the bones of saints, that leather continued to grow if not dyed, that if he concentrated hard enough his body’s electrical currents could stun lake frogs as he bathed.” — narrator speaking of Jesse James, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 589874
The line "You're gonna need a bigger boat" from Jaws (1975) is one of the most iconic quotes in movie history. Spoken by Chief Brody moments after the eponymous shark appears behind the Orca.

I'm sure I read somewhere that that line was improvised off the cuff as well, but that could be an urban myth.

Oh, I know that for every German killed, many of our innocent civilians are executed. But the example of their heroism is contagious and our resistance grows. Oh it’s very easy to talk about heroism in the free countries. But it’s hard to talk about it here where our people are starving. The hard truth is, the hungrier we get, the more we need our heroes.

I must go not because I’m harmful to society, which is you, but because I’m harmful to tyranny.

Albert Lory, from This Land is Mine, 1943

Watched that not long after it came out internationally (though before it hit the UK) - on a longhaul flight, I think. Impressive piece of cinema.

Edward

Bartender
I'm sure I read somewhere that that line was improvised off the cuff as well, but that could be an urban myth.

Watched that not long after it came out internationally (though before it hit the UK) - on a longhaul flight, I think. Impressive piece of cinema.

Ups, hang on.... I misread that. The one I saw on a plane was '"Land of Mine", a Danish picture from 2015 about a group of young - children, really - Wehrmacht PoWs being made to clear landmines on a beach, under the watch of a war-weary and embittered Danish sergeant in the immediate post WW2 period. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/ Worth seeing.

Ups, hang on.... I misread that. The one I saw on a plane was '"Land of Mine", a Danish picture from 2015 about a group of young - children, really - Wehrmacht PoWs being made to clear landmines on a beach, under the watch of a war-weary and embittered Danish sergeant in the immediate post WW2 period. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/ Worth seeing.
That's very funny as I was really surprised when I read your previous post and you said you saw a 1943 movie on an international flight not long after it came out. Showing that one's mind can fill in blanks that aren't there, I assumed you meant after a recent rerelease of the movie on Criterion (probably with a fresh restoration) or something like that and, then, I assumed you meant you watched it on your laptop on the flight.

Edward

Bartender
That's very funny as I was really surprised when I read your previous post and you said you saw a 1943 movie on an international flight not long after it came out. Showing that one's mind can fill in blanks that aren't there, I assumed you meant after a recent rerelease of the movie on Criterion (probably with a fresh restoration) or something like that and, then, I assumed you meant you watched it on your laptop on the flight.

That would make sense. I think I'm just have a bit of a stupid today - it has been a very challenging few weeks at work as the University seeks to ensure we deliver ever more while being staffed at the level we were when our programme was less than half the size it is now.

"Let me tell you a secret, son: there's always a mean old wolf in Grandma's bed, and a worm inside the apple. There's always a daddy inside the Santa suit. It's a world of trickery.” — Jesse James to his son “Tim”, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner