Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

From This Land is Mine, 1943:

Professor Sorel: Children like to follow a leader, and there are two kinds of leaders today. We seem weak - we have no weapons, we don't march, except to air raid shelters. And our heroes are called are called criminals and shot against walls. The other leaders have guns, tanks, parades, uniforms. They teach violence, self-love, vanity, everything that appeals to the unformed minds of children. And their criminals are called heroes.

These books must be burnt. Very well then we'll just burn them. We can't resist physically, but morally, within us, we can resist. We contain those books. We contain truth. They can't destroy the truth without destroying each and every one of us. We can keep the truth alive if the children believe in us and follow our example.

That is an excellent quote (amongst several excellent quotes in the movie) from a movie I love with a performance by Laughton that is stunning. My comments here: #27906. There are so many excellent speeches, like the one you noted, that you need to see this one several times to take it all in.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
That is an excellent quote (amongst several excellent quotes in the movie) from a movie I love with a performance by Laughton that is stunning. My comments here: #27906. There are so many excellent speeches, like the one you noted, that you need to see this one several times to take it all in.
Well said, FF. It was this movie that made me a fan of Laughton's acting. The man can do any kind of part, and do it well. I enjoyed your review at #27906, well said. I try to watch this movie every year because I always see something new.

Here's my short list of favorite Charles Laughton performances in chronological order:

Sir William Porterhouse in The Old Dark House (1932)
Dr. Moreau in Island of Lost Souls (1932)
Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
And because it allows him to do a bit of intentional comedy, Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (1952)

I believe he sometimes got away with things in his performances simply because he was Charles Laughton, but it always seems to work.

I haven't seen all of those, but I pretty much record any Laughton film when it pops up on TCM, so at some point, I probably will. If you haven't seen it, check out "This Land is Mine." Another good Laughton one (especially in the last third when his part expands) is "The Bribe."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Cruisin' for a brusin' on Youtube yesterday and chanced upon a pre-Code
clip beach scene where the gal is behind a boulder rock and states to a guy
drying her dress over a campfire that she thought he had looked at her because
'I don't have any clothes on.' Didn't pause for the cause note femme fatale or flick,
but I'll tell ya scenes suggestive are more arousing than blatant sexual scenes where
nothing is left to imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider