Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourite smell

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
New leather. Like from a jacket or a new holster.

I also love that vintage care smell...If you have one you know what I mean. It's not the musty boathouse smell or the fake p-leather of many newer cars. But rather that smell of old chrome and great memories

Kiri

One of the Regulars
  • Freshly mown grass.
  • Baby's breath.
Sounds weird, I know, but if you've ever had a baby sibling, or are I mom, I think you know what I mean. Perhaps that's why there's a flower called babies breath. :)

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Kiri said:
  • Freshly mown grass.
  • Baby's breath.
Sounds weird, I know, but if you've ever had a baby sibling, or are I mom, I think you know what I mean. Perhaps that's why there's a flower called babies breath. :)
That is true...nothing like the smell of a clean little snuggly when they're sleeping on you.

But man do they grow up fast!!

I will also add the smell of bacon and eggs in the morning!!!:whip:

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Sooo, am I the only kid at heart that loves the smell of a fresh box of crayons? :eek: Honestly, I love the smell, which makes stationery / school supply store clerks think I'm crazy as I take surrupticious (sp?) sniffs of all those lovely boxes... lol I would take that out into space with me any old time!

I like too many things previously posted to list them again, but even though pipe tobacco is listed, I prefer the Cherry Blend.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Wally_Hood said:
Thanksgiving dinner cooking

In no particular order, the following are on my list:

1. The sea.
2. Cinnamon spice.
3. Fresh cotton sheets.
4. Freshly cooked bread & fresh "real" coffee.
5. Castrol "R" racing oil.
6. Leather car interiors.
7. Fresh rain in a pine forest.
8. Coriander & Basil.
9. Bacon grilling (goes with the fresh bread!)
10. The inside of a cigar humidor.

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
Fresh baked bread.
Babies.
Brewing coffee.
Wood smoke.
Bacon
Fresh cut grass
Summer thunderstorm

ETA:
I forgot a couple!

Corn fields at dusk.
Machine shops.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
My favorite smell was the combination of odors that collected inside my Grandfather's tool shed.

He kept his rider mower there, his prize possession, he loved yard work, took pride in his lawn. So there was always the smell of fresh cut grass.

He was also a tinkerer, so the smell of oil was always present for what part he needed to work on for the mower or a power tool.

He was a habitual pipe smoker, the tobacco he favored was rich, with just a slight hint of cherry.

These combined to form a wonderful tapestry, I can still smell them today.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me...

I used to work down the road from the Keebler factory. I always rolled down my car window on the way to work, just in case they were baking shortbread that morning. The smell of warm shortbread on a cool autumn morning is the best.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
jdbenson said:
I used to work down the road from the Keebler factory. I always rolled down my car window on the way to work, just in case they were baking shortbread that morning. The smell of warm shortbread on a cool autumn morning is the best.

Ah, yes, the fragance of the Keebler elves, stoking the three-story high ovens, pushing the ore carts filled with dough, and then, at the end of the shift, the smell of toasted pixie dust as they skipped through the forest to that big, cozy tree. Sorry, but my memories tend to get jumbled up...

kiltie

Practically Family
Edward said:
Uhm.... I don't know that I could ever get it down to just one...

[*] the glove

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When you are all alone and laugh out loud at something, that's when you know it's funny. THIS is funny.

The sense of smell is tightly connected to memory and has links to our lives in ways we sometimes don't even notice. The smell of a loved one that has passed on when you handle their clothes. The smell of the wooden box that holds those old photographs. The smell of those special meals that mom made that were from the old country.

I like the smell of a newly mown lawn.
The smell of when it just starts to rain, not a favorite but it jumps out at me.
Most roses.
Toast toasting in the toaster.
Christmas cookies baking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran