Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favourite smell

Barchetta52

New in Town
Get ready for this one. I love the smell of an old car interior; musty, rusty, but not beyond help. Could not possibly say why, but there you go.

davestlouis

Practically Family
The smell of Marlboro smokes on certain women's breath...one woman from my past was the only smoker I've ever been intimate with and the smell of that particular brand of smokes on the breath of some women evokes fond memories of that little redhead. Otherwise I hate cigarette smoke and its odor.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Okay, I am going out on a limb with this one, but around this time of the year in the City of Angels, you know that it is autumn (often so subbtle it passes by without notice....) when suburban lawns are reseeded. The smell of the manure that is spread on top of the seeds will always remind me of back-to-school/trick-or-treating weather. So, yes, one of my favorite smells is manure, not for the smell itself, but for the seasonal associations. Having said that, manure for herbivores like steers and horses tends not to smell too bad, as anyone who has spent time around a stable--or racetrack--can attest.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
The scent stone pine trees give off some days, from their resin and needles. This goes straight to somewhere deep in my brain and is very comforting.

Other than that... frying onions, rain over leafy soil, freshly cut grass, peonies, cucumber, leek and celery, books, lemon zest, salty skin after a bath in the sea...

And some (a lot of, actually) perfumes :p I like resins and woods the most.

RC

New in Town
The combined scents of coffee brewing and bacon frying when you first wake up and realize someone else is making breakfast for a change. lol

Also pinion wood fires

Crayons when you first open the box

Interior wall paint (even though it gives me a headache after a few hours)

Pumpkin "guts" you pull out before carving your jack-o-lantern

The combined chemical/fuel odors and sea/organic scents of a warf or port - I know for most people that smell is probably offensive, but I associate it with traveling and vacations, so it's very pleasant to me.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Freshly cut grass.
Leaves burning in Autumn.
Fresh ground coffee.
Horse sweat (yes, like the other fella mentioned - go figure! my damp dogs! and their little warm paws - I know!!![huh] ).
Cigar smoke.
Pipe smoke (brings back memories of times' past).
Vanilla.
Irish turf/peat smouldering in the fireplace, mmmm!
The scent of the paper in an old book.
Leather.
Early morning dew on grass.
The smell of after a rain storm with all the vegetation in the air.
Outdoor roasted chestnuts in Valencia...or on the fire at home...
Oranges.
Mulled wine and spiced pumpkin...

Mmmmm...

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The scent of baking bread, when it drifts in through the window from the bakery down the street.

The tang of burning dust that wafts up from the vents on the first day we light the furnace.

Fine coffee brewing.

Wood and leaves burning on cozy autumn days.

The smell of book dust and old wood (accompanied by creaky floors) that you encounter in a proper, been-there-forever library.

Slightly damp cat fur.

Moist garden soil in the spring.

Feverfew leaves.

Ink, absinthe, anise hyssop, thunderstorms, pinon in the air, diesel fumes from a bus that take me right back to my days in London.

Oh, you said one....... :eek:

blade runner

New in Town
I'm surprises no one has mentioned these, but
-freshly popped popcorn
-a home fire of Irish turf.
Also,
-sesame oil
-vanilla
-garlic sauteeing (I'm watching Food Network as I type this, so it is difficult to come up with something besides food.)
-a book that is old but not musty
-pipe smoke

And my favorite of all -- BACON!

Talbot

One Too Many
Barchetta52 said:
Get ready for this one. I love the smell of an old car interior; musty, rusty, but not beyond help. Could not possibly say why, but there you go.

Perfectly natural. If you have to explain it, there's no point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80