Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Hat Likes it Rough

HarpPlayerGene said:
DSC_0007.jpg
Paging Mister Jed Clampett, Paging Mister Jed Clampett! We found your hat!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
lol lol lol

That's sooo true. I must admit, the blue Borso' is one hat that I rarely wear even though I love it. Last night I considered wearing it to a family Thanksgiving dinner gathering. It would have gone great with what I was wearing. Then I backed out. What if one of the kids gets ahold of it? What if gravy gets on it? What if....?

I wore one of my Whippets. Not that I don't value my old Whippets a lot, cause I do, but that shows you how much more protective I am about that blue Trinonfo.

:)

Nice to get that report ...you can stay living in that case....lol lol :D

harbilly

New in Town
I like to hang 'em at places but if not..well.......
I pick them up by the crease, wear them in the snow and rain and abuse the heck out of them - if at the time I am abusing my shoes, coat and everything else.
I have many hats hoping that a lifetime supply hangs in my hall.
What wears out first? Me or my hats.
Only my wife will know for sure - unless my last thought is on this topic and I'm thinking clearly at the time.....

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I don't see why expensive fedoras cannot be worn in the rain. As they are expensive you would expect them to be of good enough quality to survive.

I wear most of my hats in light rain, but if I know I will be spending a long time outside in heavy rain I wear my Tilley, as it looks the way it was when I bought it although its been soaked more time than I can count, been blown into a thorn bush, sweated in and worn in dusty Tanzania by my father.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Some folks advise that handling a hat should be done carefully with both hands, one on each side of the brim.

Both crown pinching and brim handling can cause damage, depending on how much a hat has been worn, or the quality of it to begin with.

IMG_1041.jpg

this one has tears front and back, presumably from putting it on, that were repaired some time ago.

Swagman

New in Town
Dinerman said:
Both crown pinching and brim handling can cause damage, depending on how much a hat has been worn, or the quality of it to begin with.

IMG_1041.jpg

this one has tears front and back, presumably from putting it on, that were repaired some time ago.

What was this when it started out? How long did it take to get in that great shape? :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Swagman said:
What was this when it started out? How long did it take to get in that great shape? :D
Started life in the '50s as a Brent Adventurer. It's certainly seen more than its fair share of adventuring from the looks of it.

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Thwack

Familiar Face
I treat my hats similiarly to my shoes. When I first get them and start wearing them I'll go a little out of my way to keep them clean, I'll place them gently by the door when I take them off, and when I notice some dirt on them I'll stop and gently brush them off. Then as they become broken in and more comfortable I start walking through the puddles instead of around and before I know it they are muddy, creased, and feel great.

The hat is the same way. Until I break it in and it's sitting comfortably on my head (without fear of the wind) I baby it a little. Soon enough I'm flinging it across the room, sitting it wherever, and wearing it in all sorts of weather.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:

IMG_1041.jpg

It looks to have had a full life. Where did you find that one, Dinerman?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
ScionPI2005 said:
It looks to have had a full life. Where did you find that one, Dinerman?
Ebay bad photo special that didn't turn out. It would have cost more to return it than to keep it, so I wear it places where I'd like a hat but know it'd get trashed.

Spencer

New in Town
Hmmmm.

I guess it depends on the hat. My Outback has seen some use, but is very comfortable and I like it just the way it is.
home_0065.jpg

home_007.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Category

Category: For now cautious until I get a backup to make me an integrator:) So I,m in transition. Well written thread start:eusa_clap

Swagman

New in Town
Roughed up Banjo

Dinerman said:
Ebay bad photo special that didn't turn out.

I can relate to that. Here's a Akubra Banjo Paterson I picked up on eBay as new. You can see it next to a real new one.

hat1.jpg

I guess that Heritage quality felt can take a beating.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I do have to say Thank you Scotrace for the generous words at the top of the thread.

That optimo Has been with me through a lot and I crush it and roll it without a hassle. It's a half and half beaver nutria blend that has no problem taking a beating.

This is a great thread Scott.

I like being devil may care with a hat... It took me a while to change friend of mine's opinion on hats once... he likes stiff hats thinking they are tough though i like soft ones with a good memory... I've had this one and treated it worse than any other hat I have... it's been camping and muddied and sat on and scratched at and still no holes... I have vintage hats that haven't taken as much as this one. It's been cleaned and blocked once.

Here it is in the earlier days
Joseph_graphite2-vi.jpg

And here it is closer to now
DeckardBowl-vi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran