Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your message to makers...

jglf

A-List Customer
Gw reply to emails. 3 times I’ve tried to hand over money and wait patiently.
Yup..this is the worst. I’m kind of in a similar situation waiting for my flame panda boots. Sent an email a month after I was told he started working on them, then it took him another month to email me that he forgot to ship them. That was over a month ago. Was initially told 4 months now I’m on month 8 with the shoes being completed for over 2 months and still no shipping info.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yup..this is the worst. I’m kind of in a similar situation waiting for my flame panda boots. Sent an email a month after I was told he started working on them, then it took him another month to email me that he forgot to ship them. That was over a month ago. Was initially told 4 months now I’m on month 8 with the shoes being completed for over 2 months and still no shipping info.
I ordered my FP monkey boots 6 months ago (quoted for 6 months production time) and he hasn't even started making it too. Hope you get your boots soon.

jglf

A-List Customer
I ordered my FP monkey boots 6 months ago (quoted for 6 months production time) and he hasn't even started making it too. Hope you get your boots soon.
I didn’t mind the few extra months it took to make them as I realize delays happen. My Wesco order is being pushed back a few months too. The only annoying part is that they’ve been completed for over 2 months and I’m still waiting for a response with a tracking number and confirmation that they’ve been shipped. Hope yours aren’t delayed too long.

That's the thing - Maybe I want to get pulled in 'cause at this point I know exactly what to expect, which makes things a bit boring. I also know why I don't want to leave my money with makers I've bought from, but it's not because I don't want to... If they fixed the issues I stated above, I can't think of a single reason why I wouldn't give them another go. Ultimately, it's what makes me happy.

Plus, you can see things more objectively when viewed from from a distance. From the outside. That, combined with your experience with all these makers only adds merit to your opinion, one that any maker could only benefit from. Field Leathers is one maker everyone should learn from.

For instance, right now, my Aero HWM alternative is this German made jacket that I got dirt cheap. Am I happy with that jacket? Sure. It's similar to HWM, it's heavy, well made, leather's nice and it's mega-comfortable. But would I be happier if Aero HWM did everything this German cheapo does, even though it'd cost me 50x more? Infinitely more so.
I see your point but have found the opposite to be true. The Windward and Original Wayfarer I have are just literal leaps and bounds above what Aero or any other repop maker can achieve. JL, 5 Star, etc won’t be able to even come close. It’s a tad ironic that when I started buying jackets it was in the vintage market (they just looked so much cooler). Took a number of years and dollars to figure out they actually are. I don’t see myself going back. I’ll wait for the vintage gems. It’s not a sprint in the way you can buy new. It’s a slower, deeply more satisfying experience IMHO. My repro buying days are over.

But to the actual question at hand, I don’t think these companies would be all that warm to a wants list from forum members and I can’t say I blame them. There are companies here that will let you steer the ship from harbor to sea…of course it might sink. I’ve sunk a few:D

Coriu

One Too Many
I would think that the average buyer of a Schott or Vanson is more of an average Joe...not nearly as sophisticated as those on TFL. In that sense, I would think the class of customer represented here would have limited leverage in getting those outfits to change their ways. Although Langlitz has elite pricing, their lack of sophistication on some fronts would lead me to believe they are not targeting this crowd.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I didn’t mind the few extra months it took to make them as I realize delays happen. My Wesco order is being pushed back a few months too. The only annoying part is that they’ve been completed for over 2 months and I’m still waiting for a response with a tracking number and confirmation that they’ve been shipped. Hope yours aren’t delayed too long.

That's really unfortunate in your case, I hope he can safely ship them out to you soon or atleast keep you posted about what's the issue with local restrictions and such. I hope so too, the only good thing that came with this delay is I was able upgrade the leather to a black shinki horsebutt, a Leathers that he did not offer before

I see your point but have found the opposite to be true. The Windward and Original Wayfarer I have are just literal leaps and bounds above what Aero or any other repop maker can achieve. JL, 5 Star, etc won’t be able to even come close. It’s a tad ironic that when I started buying jackets it was in the vintage market (they just looked so much cooler). Took a number of years and dollars to figure out they actually are. I don’t see myself going back. I’ll wait for the vintage gems. It’s not a sprint in the way you can buy new. It’s a slower, deeply more satisfying experience IMHO. My repro buying days are over.

But to the actual question at hand, I don’t think these companies would be all that warm to a wants list from forum members and I can’t say I blame them. There are companies here that will let you steer the ship from harbor to sea…of course it might sink. I’ve sunk a few:D
I wish I could find the vintage jacket I crave...my next one just doesn’t seem to exist, so I’m patiently waiting for my turn with JC. I’ve had a great experience with him creating the Imperial, so my expectations are pretty high for creation #2. I really don’t mind the long wait, I’ve had a lot of fun during this time.

Coriu

One Too Many

Words of WISDOM. It's not a race. Some folks me remind of a guy I fish with. Instead of enjoying the moment, he is always plotting the next great fishing trip. Since I normally buy used, I could go months without finding something. But when I do, it's deeply satisfying.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
This is exactly why I won’t jump into the order via email/social media no website overseas market for anything.

This is exactly why I won’t jump into the order via email/social media no website overseas market for anything.

No kidding. I get that they are busy. But damn. If I handled comms like that being fired would be the least of my worries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ