Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinion on my new Irvin jacket

Heroi

New in Town
Hello guys ! I am new member ;)
I just bought my first Irvin leather jacket at a pretty cheap price (200 euros) , I think it was a very good deal !

Do you ever seen a Irvin jacket like this ? There is no brand on this jacket , I just know this a vintage jacket that come from the 70s

1670161782.jpeg
1670161782 (1).jpeg
1670161782 (2).jpeg
1670161782 (9).jpeg
1670161782 (3).jpeg

Attachments

• 1670161782 (8).jpeg
    1670161782 (8).jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1670161782 (7).jpeg
    1670161782 (7).jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 1670161782 (3).jpeg
    1670161782 (3).jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 47

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks good. Seems like a solidly made civilian shearling jacket. Shearling jacket that has some semblance to the WW2 Irvin and/or B-3 but not exact copies.

Last edited:

Heroi

New in Town
The "A" zipper look like a aero ! But I doubt this one is a aero , there is really no brand indication

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 45

Heroi

New in Town
It looks nice and has some character already. It will be a nice cold weather jacket.
Thank you !

Nice to have somewhere to keep your hands warm too.
Yes I prefer to have pocket like this even if I have gloves

Really nice condition for 1970’s
Yes for a 50 years old jacket the jacket have a nice condition :)

This is my first Irvin jacket, is it common to not have any brand on this kind of jacket ? I also know this jacket is made in England

UK went nuts during the late 1970's and 1980's with these flight jackets, making millions of them. They rarely had any branding, other than the generic "Real Sheepskin" or "Real Shearling" or "Made in England" tag but as @Blackadder noted, it's not an Irvin jacket.
You can still find these jackets floating around cheap but they're usually of good quality, made from heavy sheep hide. Nice to have on a cold day.

I used to know what the A on the zipper was but I forgot...

Heroi

New in Town
UK went nuts during the late 1970's and 1980's with these flight jackets, making millions of them. They rarely had any branding, other than the generic "Real Sheepskin" or "Real Shearling" or "Made in England" tag but as @Blackadder noted, it's not an Irvin jacket.
You can still find these jackets floating around cheap but they're usually of good quality, made from heavy sheep hide. Nice to have on a cold day.

I used to know what the A on the zipper was but I forgot...
Thank you for the "history leason" ! The information you tell me are very usefull

If you remember more information about the "A" zipper don't hesitate to tell me !

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Assuming there are no doubts about the materials used (both outside and shearling itself look to be in amazing condition for its age), you made one hell of a deal here!

As others have said, not really a repro of "The Irvin", but a rather free adaption, but still a very nice, solidly made jacket. I note the large back-panels which strike me as unusual for a "budget" product. I also like the wrist-zippers (my B-3 is a nuisance to slip over the wrists).

No tag is absolutely standard for a heavy shearlig jacket, BTW...

Heroi

New in Town
Assuming there are no doubts about the materials used (both outside and shearling itself look to be in amazing condition for its age), you made one hell of a deal here!

As others have said, not really a repro of "The Irvin", but a rather free adaption, but still a very nice, solidly made jacket. I note the large back-panels which strike me as unusual for a "budget" product. I also like the wrist-zippers (my B-3 is a nuisance to slip over the wrists).

No tag is absolutely standard for a heavy shearlig jacket, BTW...
The previous owner telled me that he cleans the shearling before he posts the picture, I know that the jacket weight 2 kilos for a size 40 US.

I never own a shearling jacket I don't know if 2 kilos is ok for a size 40. Thank for the info about the tag, it my first jacket without a tag

Did someone also identify which leather is used for this jacket thank to the picture ?
(my english is not perfect I know ! :D )

Edward

Bartender
The "A" zipper look like a aero ! But I doubt this one is a aero , there is really no brand indication

Definitely not an Aero. Looks likes a very decent, Irvin-inspired, civilain jacket, though. Most Irvin-style jackets these days (aside from niche reproducers like Aero) have the hand-pockets. Not part of the original design, but very practical if you're not looking for milspec accuracy.

Heroi

New in Town
Definitely not an Aero. Looks likes a very decent, Irvin-inspired, civilain jacket, though. Most Irvin-style jackets these days (aside from niche reproducers like Aero) have the hand-pockets. Not part of the original design, but very practical if you're not looking for milspec accuracy.
I agree definitely not an Aero

Did the "A" zipper is common ? Even if this is not a aero jacket

Edward

Bartender
I agree definitely not an Aero

Did the "A" zipper is common ? Even if this is not a aero jacket

There is a company called Aero Zips / Aero Zip - https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02201333 ; they've been around several decades, only relatively recently (2021) sold off by the original owners, due to retirement - https://zipex.uk/blog/zipex-acquires-aero-zip-ltd/ A lot of British bike jackets used Aero zips in the heyday of that industry - including Lewis at one point I believe. I don't know if this is one of their products, though I don't recollect ever seeing that version before. I suspect it isn't.

Aero Zip have no connection at all to Aero Leathers in Scotland - despite the common flagging of "Aero zips" on leather jacket sales on ebay, which I suspect is trolling for those of us looking for Aero jackets"!

Heroi

New in Town
There is a company called Aero Zips / Aero Zip - https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02201333 ; they've been around several decades, only relatively recently (2021) sold off by the original owners, due to retirement - https://zipex.uk/blog/zipex-acquires-aero-zip-ltd/ A lot of British bike jackets used Aero zips in the heyday of that industry - including Lewis at one point I believe. I don't know if this is one of their products, though I don't recollect ever seeing that version before. I suspect it isn't.

Aero Zip have no connection at all to Aero Leathers in Scotland - despite the common flagging of "Aero zips" on leather jacket sales on ebay, which I suspect is trolling for those of us looking for Aero jackets"!
Thank you for all the knowledge ! Yea if I am not wrong I already see some lewis jacket with the "A" zipper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko