Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Paul Frederick order has been shipped (!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Several months ago Paul Frederick had a special sale of Italian camel and white colored cap toe spectators. Regularly $250, sale $99. Well I jumped at it and so must have a LOT of other people, because for months they've been sending out back-ordered messages, along with messages saying, "Wouldn't you really like to buy something else instead with your store credit". The implication being, please something that we're not losing a bundle on by selling them so cheap. I'm amazed they just didn't say they were out of stock, which normally happens with sales.
Anyway, I just got the email that they were sent. I just hope they're reasonably well fitting! Pics eventually.
http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFCategory.aspx?rootcat=18|Shoes&app=10000&page=1

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They look great! Following the link you posted revealed a blue/white option that looked amazing as well. Hope they arrive within a couple of days for you!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Several months ago Paul Frederick had a special sale of Italian camel and white colored cap toe spectators. Regularly $250, sale $99. Well I jumped at it and so must have a LOT of other people, because for months they've been sending out back-ordered messages, along with messages saying, "Wouldn't you really like to buy something else instead with your store credit". The implication being, please something that we're not losing a bundle on by selling them so cheap. I'm amazed they just didn't say they were out of stock, which normally happens with sales.
Anyway, I just got the email that they were sent. I just hope they're reasonably well fitting! Pics eventually.
http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog/PFCategory.aspx?rootcat=18|Shoes&app=10000&page=1

http://www.paulfredrick.com/Catalog...ategory=Shoes&ProductId=LUC499D&tpc=33&psno=2

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523

Since AE deleted spectators "everyone wants to get into da act!"

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here they are, at the end of my legs. (Is this picture somehow strangely reminiscent of the Wicked Witch of the East?)
They fit, they're comfortable, they're made of delicious leather. My feet are really closer to C width, so they feel a little wide. But they're roomy in the toes. Very very nice.
NewSpectators.jpg

Actually, I think these are just the sort of shoes old Jack Warner might have worn in 1934.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
So, I bought a third class train ticket, and travelled into town to have a look at Bally spectators, i had telephoned before to enquire the young lady "Elizebeth" had never heard of spectators or wingtips!!!!!!

So when I arrived i was not suprised to see that the shop was run and owned by two lovely young ladies from Singapore (i'm guessing Franchise!)

I wanted to take a photograph of the black and white shoes they had but they were worried about me rushing home and making copies!!!!

let me explain one was black with white stitching the other shoe was white with black stitching! ($650.00)

If only they could breed like minks!!! they may throw a litter of Wingtips

http://www.bally.com/

Should I email head office in switzerland and tell them there are too silly gels representing them in the Swan River Colony?

Bugsy

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:

Ironic, I just got notification that they shipped my order today too.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I was day dreaming and thought what if I purchased an ecconomical brogue in a light tan colour, mixed up some fabric or hair dye and pained the toe caps and other, upper section of the shoe to create a two tone black and tan wingtip, has anyone ever tried it?, it sounds do-able

I told a cove at the office about my idea he rolled his eyes?

7292-KESWICK-CSHADE.jpg

Before the paint job

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like it should work. I think I'd go with a dark brown rather than a black as the contrasting color. But it sounds totally feasable and sensible to me. I've seen shoes like that before.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Again, another reasn to appreciate the Lounge. As a swing dancer, I'm always seeing guys wearing those two tone dance shoes at all times of year and in all circumstances. Now that I realize that these shoes are meant to be worn in summer, or warm climates, they make so much more sense. You will see them on me at Governor's Island. I LOVE them. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BinkieBaumont said:
I was day dreaming and thought what if I purchased an ecconomical brogue in a light tan colour, mixed up some fabric or hair dye and pained the toe caps and other, upper section of the shoe to create a two tone black and tan wingtip, has anyone ever tried it?, it sounds do-able
The end product of this technique might be passable at a distance of ten feet or so, but when viewed any closer the method used will be apparent. Also, there's a reason that shoe manufacturers dye the leather sections of spectators before assembly; coloring different sections of a shoe is not as easy as it sounds. Lastly, economical shoes will likely be made with substandard leather (corrected grain, bonded, etc..), which will not take well to after market dyeing and such.

Corky

Practically Family
If you're going to dye leather, use leather dye...

If you're going to dye leather, remove or strip off the previous finish and then use leather dye.

It is easy to find at your local shoemaker's or you can try Tandy's leather catalog.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Here they are, at the end of my legs.
Leg-end-ary! Good catch, Danny. Especially at the price!

At first, those M-shaped vamps looked a little Stacy Adams to my traditionalist eye, but they're actually well executed and have a classic look that's very appropriate to the 30s.

ortega76

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Again, another reasn to appreciate the Lounge. As a swing dancer, I'm always seeing guys wearing those two tone dance shoes at all times of year and in all circumstances. Now that I realize that these shoes are meant to be worn in summer, or warm climates, they make so much more sense. You will see them on me at Governor's Island. I LOVE them. :)

I wear spectators year 'round, as long as it isn't horribly snowy or rainy outside. I realize they are a warm-weather shoe but they are just so snazzy that I love them in any season. I've had jobs where I was described by them- "look for the guy in two tone shoes".

Those shoes are gorgeous, btw. I also picked up a pair. but I got mine a few months ago. Size 8 1/2 always seems to be in stock!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:

I told a cove at the office about my idea he rolled his eyes?

7292-KESWICK-CSHADE.jpg

Before the paint job
Thing is, this brogue is pieced differently than 2-tones are. The classic look is heel and toe caps=both the darker color. That works only if the heel and toe caps are separate pieces of leather. Here, the toe cap is only a stitched shape, part of the back/vamp section. You'd have to mask it off, creating an obvious "redone" look. Okay for a band member or stage actor, but not for day wear.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, are you sure? What I was thinking was that the heel part is all one. The toe looks separate to me. Maybe a closer picture would help. I know that Allen Edmunds has a couple nice two tone brown brogues. Not cheap, but worth the money. That might be a better choice.
I've learned the hard way what cheap shoes can do to your feet over the long run.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
On second look, you're right! There is an edge to the heel cap in the pic.

The whole center section would have to be white, tho, because of the piecing of the vamp. Here's an example of an all-white center.
fashdig3_2.jpg

Another way would be to do only the piece right back of the wingtip in white - a semi-spectator look. Not very 30s, but I have a pair from the 80s that are that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy