Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Top 10 TV Shows

carter

I'll Lock Up
I never did forgive Wiseguy for being the pet project of the dirty-dealing CBS exec who whacked The Equalizer...

Nothin' personal, Carter.

No offense taken. The Equalizer starred Edward Woodard, right? Good show.

Anyone notice how this is helping my memory? ;)

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Perry Mason
The Rifleman
Leave It To Beaver
The Andy Griffith Show
I Love Lucy
The Dean Martin Show
Hazel
Dennis The Menace
Family Ties
The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson

Laura

New in Town
1. The Simpsons
2. Miami Ink
3. Life on Mars
4. Lost
5. Buffy the vampire slayer
6. Angel
7. Family Guy
8. that 70's show
9. CSI (Vegas)
10. The Sopranos

ClayBob

New in Town
1. The Twilight Zone
2. I Love Lucy (any Lucy series)
3. Bewitched
3. The Simpsons
4. The Jack Benny Show
5. Hogan's Heroes
6. Twin Peaks
7. Quantum Leap
8. Then Came Bronson
9. The Honeymooners
10. Leave It To Beaver

HANSOLOJONES

New in Town
You know what guys, I have to add the First season of "The Outer Limits" to the list. I forgot just how scary some of those episodes were!!It's cool to see other WiseGuy fans. What a great show. Pre Sopranos. Ray Sharkey as Sonny Steelgrave was awesome! Ken Whal was also verry good. Was sad to see it go when Whal left the show over creative differences.

Regards,
HSJ.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Eclectic & incomplete

In no particular order:
  • Jack Benny - Rochester was the perfect complement to his dry humor
  • The Life of Riley - so much wisdom
  • Mr. Ed - it was just so silly
  • Ben Casey - he had me at the introduction (you remember: a hand drew the symbol on a chalkboard and a voice-over intoned each one's meaning " birth, life, death, infinity")
  • Dragnet - especially the music used to amplify dramatic moments & the end credit when those hairy muscular forearms and hands wrapped around stamp and mallet appear from stage right to center screen to strike and beat the production logo into a metal plate
  • Twilight Zone
  • Forever Night - the beginning of the fascination with vampires on television that led to the show that will not be named by me, but begins with a B (pun unintended, but I'll take responsibility for it :p)
  • Kojak
  • The Defenders
  • Maude* - I still recall the awe of watching the episode set at a therapist/psychiatrist office which was presented as one uninterrupted thirty minute soliloquy!; no other speakers or action or distracting camera angling, just Bea Arthur talking - and I, for one, was never bored:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
  • Perry Mason - Della was the first serious, strong, non-frilly, froufrouless career woman I recall seeing on TV and she looked pretty
  • Moonlighting - talk about chemistry! Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd were perfectly balanced :D
  • Murphy Brown
  • Designing Women
  • Babylon 5 - probably the most intricate science fiction ever created - second only to TOS & STNG
  • TOS & STNG - through no fault of Avery Brooks, Terry Farrell, Rene Auberjonois, or Michael Dorn DSN never really worked; I think the problem was that the whole Cardassian conflict which the plots were built around was so vague & under-developed that even the insertion of perky plucky Nana Visitor couldn't salvage it; just my opinion
  • The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson - unquestionably the Master MC; stand-up comedian extraordinaire; and the most gallant, witty, urbane host even with irascible wild animals as guests; Ed McMahon perfectly complemented Johnny Carson from the first "Heeeeere's Johnny!" through all the huckstering (they had him pushing dog food for heaven's sake; this being a beer guy through and through) and "ooops" of the show

*Norman Lear turned me on to the power of the sitcom as social commentary. I could have added Sanford and Son, All in the Family, and Good Times, but chose to identify just that one episode of Maude simply because it was outstanding.

Starius

Practically Family
I've been trying to stay away from this thread because I think about television too much as it is.

But here are 10 shows that, at this moment, I most fondly recall enjoying.
In no particular order.

Veronica Mars
Doctor Who (Classic and Current)
Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9 - only)
Le Femme Nikita
The X-Files
The Venture Bros.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Freeks and Geeks
Dark Shadows
The Office​

Top 10 of my childhood which still stand out to me today:
Knight Rider
Airwolf
The Muppet Show / Jim Henson Hour / Sesame Street / Fraggle Rock (I'm grouping these together and you can't stop me)
Transformers
Smurfs (Yeah, thats right. I liked the smurfs. Got a problem with that? huh, do ya?)
Mr. Belvedere
Captain 11
Canyon Kid's Corner
Punky Brewster
Mysterious Cities of Gold​

Starius

Practically Family
Bah... the more I think of it, the more shows that come to mind.... Spielberg's Amazing Stories..... Beauty and the Beast (with Ron Perlman and Linda Hamilton).... V the series.... The Wild Wild West.... Highlander... Moonlighting...

Ah to heck with this! This is why I hate threads like this. I mean, I watched crap like Misfits of Science and loved it. How am I supposed to narrow down to 10? I give up. You win, thread! Do you hear me!?! You win!

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
My favorites (all I can think of now) in no particular order;

The David Letterman Show
The Simpsons
The Twilight Zone
The Sopranos
The Andy Griffith Show (early versions)
Hawaii 50
Barney Miller
Then Came Bronson
Route 66
Kung Fu

carter

I'll Lock Up
OK, I must admit that I keep checking this thread hoping that it has disappeared. BUT IT'S STILL HERE! IT'LL NEVER LEAVE! NEVER......:eek:
Do you have any idea what it's like to toss and turn in your bed at night as shadows dapple your new tilt-out, gas-filled, LowE, windows that you can wash while never going outside? It's maddening. (deep breath) :eusa_doh:

Now,... here are some guilty pleasures that I miss from more recent TV offerings.

Angela's Eyes, The Dresden Files, Daybreak, and I'm buying Season 1 of Jericho. :eek:

So there. OK. Now let me sleep for Pete's sake! :rage:

Starius

Practically Family
carter said:
OK, I must admit that I keep checking this thread hoping that it has disappeared. BUT IT'S STILL HERE! IT'LL NEVER LEAVE! NEVER......:eek:
Do you have any idea what it's like to toss and turn in your bed at night as shadows dapple your new tilt-out, gas-filled, LowE, windows that you can wash while never going outside? It's maddening. (deep breath) :eusa_doh:

Now,... here are some guilty pleasures that I miss from more recent TV offerings.

Angela's Eyes, The Dresden Files, Daybreak, and I'm buying Season 1 of Jericho. :eek:

So there. OK. Now let me sleep for Pete's sake! :rage:

Well, count yourself lucky Jericho is at least coming back for awhile next midseason to wrap up the story line. The only other series I can think of that had that kind of treatment were La Femme Nikita and Farscape. (And both of those series had several seasons to build up their fanbase to demand closure.)

I, too, enjoyed Angela's Eyes and Dresden Files. Luckily, I have both of those series sitting on my hard drive so I can watch them over again before letting them slip away into the ether...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Not in any order, after Twilight Zone:

Twilight Zone (esp. '59-'63)
Jack Benny Program (all of 'em)
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Fawlty Towers
Mr. Ed
Dragnet ('51-'57)
Crime Story
Upstairs, Downstairs
Star Trek
The Honeymooners
The Time Tunnel
Kung Fu
American Bandstand ('64-'85)

WH1

Practically Family
Frasier
Kolchak the nightstalker, Original series with Darren McGavin
WKRP In Cinncinati
MASH, before it became the Alan Alda Ego Show, Best Episodes of the entire series were I Never Heard The Bullet and Dear Sigmund

Anything with Bruce Campbell, I really enjoy Burn Notice, my current favorite

Twilight Zone, Serling made some of the most thoughtful and best written films of all time

Band of Brothers
Jeeves and Wooster all 4 seasons
Brideshead Revisited
Love that Bob
The Jackie Gleason Show
The Carol Burnett Show
Meeting of the Minds, PBS in the 70's, presented historical figures in a round table discussion, fascinating way of exploring history

Sharpe's Rifles, Sharpes Eagles, et al

cashun

New in Town
My favorites are, in no particular order:

Twin Peaks (Audrey Horne is the style I most want to emulate)
Smallville (at least with those delicious Luthor men, we'll have to see how things go
without them. I don't know if I can bear to watch without my beloved John
Glover.)
Gossip Girl (I'm obsessed with Blair and her headbands, oh and that luscious Chuck Bass)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Joss Whedon rules!)
Angel (Joss Whedon rules again!)
Life Goes On (Becca and Jesse: best romance ever!)
One Tree Hill (Still holding out for Brooke and Lucas)
Veronica Mars (I miss my nosey Nancy Drew wannabe)
Brimstone (John Glover is SATAN!)
Reaper (Leland Palmer is SATAN!)
Moonlighting (Zippiest dialogue ever. Nothing like perfectly balanced banter!)
Charlie's Angels (Jaclyn Smith was my style icon before I discovered Film Noir. Every
so often I feel nostalgic for my parted-in-the-middle-cow-licked-
feathered-hair.)

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
My favorites, in no particular order are:

1.) M*A*S*H
2.) Seinfeld
3.) Everybody Loves Raymond
4.) Thirtysomething
5.) Twelve O'Clock High ...A Quinn Martin Production
6.) Band of Brothers
7.) Saturday Night Live
8.) David Letterman Show
9.) Leave It To Beaver
10.) Mad Men ...destined to become a favorite, I'm sure...

Cricket

Practically Family
Most of my favorite shows are no longer on air. But there are a few on TV today that grab my attention. I am just so sick of reality TV. It is eating away at my brain. we tend to watch TV Land, TCM, AMC or History Channel mostly.
But here is my list:

1. The Honeymooners
2. I Love Lucy
3. Gunsmoke
4. Dragnet
5. Twilight Zone
6. Tales From the Dark Side
7. Mad Men
8. The Sopranos
9. Rescue Me
10. Law and Order

See what I mean?

dingus

New in Town
Not in any particular order:

Kolchak the Night Stalker (original)
WKRP in Cincinnati
Twin Peaks
X-Files
Star Trek TOS
Bob Newhart (the original, but I liked Newhart too)
Corner Gas
Matinee at the Bijou (also original, I haven't seen the new incarnation yet)
Sledge Hammer
Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favorite show for a while was called "Test Pattern". I'd watch it every night trying to figure it out. It had no plot, no story line, no characters. I'd watch that thing for hours at a time trying to get into it and get the gist of the program. I finally gave up! I guess everyone else did too - they finally cancelled it and took it off the air.

I think it's been replaced by "The Kardasian's".

IndianHeadTestPattern16x9.jpg

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran