Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zip or buttons on a custom Aero?

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Creeping Past,

You and I are at exactly different ends of a similar project. Today I just received a custom Aero. Mine's shorter, and was based on their A-1 but with zipper front and stand-and-fall collar, plus slash pockets. But as you mentioned wanting "high armholes", I went for this also for better 1930s "style" fit; or "smaller armholes" depending on how you put it. Either way, I was completely pleased with the service and jacket and you will be too.

Since you're going for a worker "look" maybe these 1930s Pennsylvania railroad workers will give a push towards buttons (though granted the jacket is shorter than you want I think and these are snaps). But its an idea.

Clint

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Clint

Great photo - I often dress exactly like the guy on the right of the front row...

Note the age of some of these guys. When wear this stuff this people say, "Aren't you a bit old to dress like that?"

Nerr...

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've got a double breasted Cossack with buttons, and have had zip-up Aeros before.

The buttons are definitely more tricky to do up than a zip, though zips do take a bit of breaking in.

If you're planning on using the jacket to ride a bike then get a zip front.

If you get a zip, then consider an A-2 style windflap. The zip on my old Hercules used to be a cold spot on my chest.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Winston, yep, that jacket's quite near what I had in mind, if short. I guess we're on the same wavelength here.

A yoke is certainly required...

Graemsay, I saw your posts on the button-up Cossack after you got it — an extreme modification, as I recall, and very nice looking. I don't ride a bike (well, not one with an engine!) so no worries about wind chill/cold spots and discomfort. It's just that, although I've nothing against zips, I'm thinking that a short zip on a longer jacket would bug me. As seen in this photo Goodwear's 1950s civilian jacket, the Monarch, which is a fine-looking jacket, there's a great big gap just asking for drafts to whistle through...

I know it's vintage/period correct. But I'm not chained to the idea of strictly authentic repro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ