Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper blues

zebedee

One Too Many
Anyone got 'sharp' aero nickel zipper teeth? My LHB looks like a mouse has clawed the inside facings next to the zipper and it's actually sharp to the touch (sounds odd, but true).

a) do I need to worry about them damaging the jacket further or will the initial cuts be the extent of the problem?
b) sitting here whipping the zipper up and down seems to be the only solution to this problem, but there must be other, faster ways of blunting the teeth.
c) If I decide to send the jacket back to Aero, how much would they charge me to get the hardware replaced with antique brass? The zipper was a little bit 'out of shape' to begin with and hard to use because of slight misalignment. I own four Aeros, and this is the only time I've had an issue like this with any jacket. Odd.

Jim.

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm positive that it reached me that way- I remember thinking that the zip was unusually sharp and seeing the indents- but didn't really think about it before seeing your thread. The jacket is probably six months old now- I stopped wearing it for a while due to cordovan bleed and then wore it anyway. The bleeding stopped, mostly, but while I was cleaning a zipper on a Highwayman, I re-examined the LHB and realised that the abrasions were- perhaps- defects/faults. I'm only really worried if they are going to cut in more over time. I'd rather blunt the teeth than send it back, but, if the zipper is going to damage the jacket, I suppose I'll have to send it in for fixing. It's a pain when these things are near 700 bob. The extra costs of sending will also irritate me, but them's the breaks.

J.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't think you will be able to apply enough force on the zipper to actually dent the leather more just by wearing it.

As mentioned in my thread, they actually hammer the fold in the leather during manufacturing, if the hammering is done to energetically, you end up with damage like the pics i posted.
This could be what happened to yours. I doubt you will make it worst by wearing it.
It is definitely a manufacturing defect though.

zebedee

One Too Many
Have contacted Aero- awaiting reply. My main concern is not the marks as they are (they are on an inner facing) as I don't expect the tailor-making of horsehide jackets to be an exact science (I'd return a suit for a comparable flaw, but I use Aeros in a pretty rough and tumble way and will batter the hell out of them anyway- I didn't complain about a small cut on an outer panel in a previous Highwayman because it was only the topcoat and the hide itself wasn't weakened and the cut never lengthened), but I don't want to find that in a couple of years the zipper has munched through the inner leather facings. If the marks stay as they are, I'm unworried. I'd prefer to wear the zipper teeth down than go through the hassle of returning the LHB (which, in every other respect, is perfect and probably the nicest thing I own).

IXL

One Too Many
I have one particular Vanson jacket that came with a beautiful #10 brass zipper that was so sharp it actually scratched me (I'm a buttercup). It was only the inside-facing side of both halves and was fixed by my taking a rather fine Swiss file to them. Firstly, some painters tape was applied around the area so that the leather wouldn't be filed in case of a slip.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I feel your pain, never had a problem with man-eating zippers though. My problem is zippers from Lilliput. From now on, if I can make a choice... only large zipps for me.

Worf

zebedee

One Too Many
Lilliputan zippers seem to be all too common.

I've now whipsawed the zipper teeth up and down so often that I've solved the issue, I think.

The track problem (because the lower, 'pin-holder' part of the zipper is too short) is annoying, so I wonder if I can find anywhere that will replace it for something more practical- a winter jacket that I can't zip without standing in front of a mirror and pulling the jacket absolutely straight is nuts.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Try to see if the Pull itself is Correctly Seated, it could be the pull Actually acting like a file and sharpening the Teeth, Make sure its not warped or bashed up or whatever.

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm taking the jacket to a local repairs place that offers a 're-zipping' service to see what they recommend- if I can get a chunky zipper 'end' put on the old tracks, I'll be a happy bunny. It's probably cheaper than sending the thing back to Aero when I need it for the cold weather!

LouisBailie

Banned
I just did some research on "zippers" and discovered that the "symmetrical" toothed brass and other similar zippers are made to take the most abuse and are somewhat stronger. If the jacket is closed below the waist they are the ones that are used with a 2 way opening zipper.

I am replacing my Thunderbay, Long Half Belt, Anj-3, A2 and one other "Scottish" jackets' zippers w/RiRi full single or 2 way open symmetricals to keep them from popping or breaking. All my Vansons have already have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda