Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've got a silverbelly Stetson Rancher that I want to have converted to a fedora. I've seen several really nice silverbelly conversions on The Fedora Lounge, and I'd like to find the pics again, for help in deciding what to do with my Rancher. However, after an hour of searching, using both the on-site search function and Google, I've come up empty handed. If someone happens to know where I some of these pics might be located, I'd sure appreciate a link.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Spats McGee said:
I've got a silverbelly Stetson Rancher that I want to have converted to a fedora. I've seen several really nice silverbelly conversions on The Fedora Lounge, and I'd like to find the pics again, for help in deciding what to do with my Rancher. However, after an hour of searching, using both the on-site search function and Google, I've come up empty handed. If someone happens to know where I some of these pics might be located, I'd sure appreciate a link.

Check out this thread -- an amazing conversion by Optimo.

Cheers,
JtL

keox11

Familiar Face
art fawcell : beaver and rabbit ???

Art Fawcell can make rabbit fur hats??? or it only works with hair beaver???

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Spats -- are you looking for a full-out conversion (like what Rick Blaine had done at Optimo)? Or, are you looking to take the Stetson Rancher and do something like this?

Cheers,
JtL

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've found most of the silverbelly conversions that I wanted, but there's one particular hat that I have been unable to find. Well, let me back up and say that I'm mostly sure that this last hat that I'm looking for was a conversion. I seem to recall that it was posted just a few months ago (maybe 6?), but I haven't seen it in a while (maybe 3 months?) As I recall someone converted a silverbelly cowboy hat to fedora. The resulting hat had a silver-ish ribbon that was maybe 1" or 1.5", and a raw edge. Dressier than the Stetson conversion that you posted, but not as dressy as the Optimo, to my eye.

Edited to add: AH-HA! Never mind & thanks to everyone who tried to help with finding this hat. I finally found it.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
keox11 said:
Art Fawcell can make rabbit fur hats??? or it only works with hair beaver???

Art does from time to time make rabbit/hare or Staple hats, but I believe only when he cannot get the color in Beaver. I know that 3 or 4 months ago he only had rust bodies in Staple. Most of his hats are beaver.
Given a choice I'll always go with beaver felt. If you want Staple you should contact Art, but in my opinion the extra cost for the beaver is well worth the price.

Tom N

New in Town
What is this string for?

I just picked up a new in box Stetson Sovereign. The inside has The Golden Century by Stetson. There is also a paper tag on the inside that has "This is Vita-Felt" "Devolped by Stetson and Dupont using 100% fur felt plus a unique treatment making possible a remarkable shape-retentitive hat and a hat that is richer in color and more luxurious." Now my question, there is a 2 foot length of string that comes from under the bowthat has 3/8 inch plastic button at the end covered in the same material as the band with a small metal Stetson logo attached. Does anyone know if this is functional or why it is there? I don't want to cut it off but I cant see how it could be worn. Any help would be appreciated. Email address vidwiz710@aol.com

Thanks in advance

Tom

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge and thanks for posting your question here.

The cord/button is called a wind trolley or lapel cord.
Here's one thread on the subject, but there are more.

Vita-felt is great stuff, and was made during the early to mid-40s. Click this for the thread on vita-felt. It was later re-introduced in the 60s. The golden century Stetson name and the emblem on the trolley button are a 60's thing. A photo would help. (thanks, cv)

To upload photos, you need to first put them on a site like photobucket or flikr and link them here.

keox11

Familiar Face
Borsalino Alessandria : crown ?

Hello

I soon go to customize a "Borsalino Alessandria" style Johnny Depp with Art Fawcett and I want to know the features of this hat!

depp2_gallery__600x400-600x400.jpg

I saw on this site characteristics, but I'm not sure the "crown":
http://www.millerhats.com/borsalinodress_index/index.html

Material: Italian as Felt
Brim: 2 3 / 4 "bound edge
Crown: 5 7 / 8 "open crown???
Band: 3 / 8 "grosgrain double bow

Art Fawcett and Carouselvic told me that the "crown" = 5 1 / 2!

According to you, the "crown" is how much???

Thanks

ps : sorry for the redundancy of my questions (

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Unless you're very concerned with knowing the exact dimensions of the hat for yourself, just show the picture to Art. He'll nail it. I promise.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
keox11 said:
Hello

I soon go to customize a "Borsalino Alessandria" style Johnny Depp with Art Fawcett and I want to know the features of this hat!

depp2_gallery__600x400-600x400.jpg

I saw on this site characteristics, but I'm not sure the "crown":
http://www.millerhats.com/borsalinodress_index/index.html

Material: Italian as Felt
Brim: 2 3 / 4 "bound edge
Crown: 5 7 / 8 "open crown???
Band: 3 / 8 "grosgrain double bow

Thanks

ps : sorry for the redundancy of my questions (
Vive le wide-brimmed chapeau!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
keox11 said:

Yes, the crown on a Borsalino Alessandria is 5 1/2".

And, yes -- Art will be able to replicate this lid without a problem. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Nik Feist

New in Town
Feel the heat

Another possibly inane question. Now that summertime is upon us in the southeast, I was wondering if fedora colors were seasonal?

I'm not a man who can wear a straw hat, so I'm definitely going to be wearing beaver felt, but is it some kind of faux pas to wear darker colored hats in summer? I have lighter-colored hats, but my new fave is a brand-new steel gray fedora from Art, and I guess I'm wondering if that's an odd thing to wear in summer temps. (My runner up is a chocolate brown by Art, which would present the same issue.)

I realize that Bogart and Ford were wearing dark fedoras in Sahara temps, but I also realize that Hollywood costuming doesn't make a lot of sense at times. Also realize that I could just say screw you to convention and wear whatever dang hat I want, when I want, but I hate to break some kind of fedora code...

keox11

Familiar Face
jimmy the lid said:
Yes, the crown on a Borsalino Alessandria is 5 1/2".

And, yes -- Art will be able to replicate this lid without a problem. :)

Cheers,
JtL

cool

that s nice :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Nik Feist said:
... I have lighter-colored hats, but my new fave is a brand-new steel gray fedora from Art, and I guess I'm wondering if that's an odd thing to wear in summer temps. (My runner up is a chocolate brown by Art, which would present the same issue.)

Nobody cares what hat you wear in the Gold States. YMMV in the other states.

Welcome to the lounge, Nik Feist. ;) :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nik Feist said:
Another possibly inane question. Now that summertime is upon us in the southeast, I was wondering if fedora colors were seasonal?

I'm not a man who can wear a straw hat, so I'm definitely going to be wearing beaver felt, but is it some kind of faux pas to wear darker colored hats in summer? I have lighter-colored hats, but my new fave is a brand-new steel gray fedora from Art, and I guess I'm wondering if that's an odd thing to wear in summer temps. (My runner up is a chocolate brown by Art, which would present the same issue.)

I realize that Bogart and Ford were wearing dark fedoras in Sahara temps, but I also realize that Hollywood costuming doesn't make a lot of sense at times. Also realize that I could just say screw you to convention and wear whatever dang hat I want, when I want, but I hate to break some kind of fedora code...
I think about that also, wanting to get the maximum use out of my felt fedoras. I would try and stick to the light colors as much as possible. Wearing a dark felt hat in the summer is like wearing a flannel shirt or sweater in the summer--not only kind of hot but also looks odd in the daytime. I would definitely try to break out a "summer wear" hat line and a "winter wear" line.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I think about that also, wanting to get the maximum use out of my felt fedoras. I would try and stick to the light colors as much as possible. Wearing a dark felt hat in the summer is like wearing a flannel shirt or sweater in the summer--not only kind of hot but also looks odd in the daytime. I would definitely try to break out a "summer wear" hat line and a "winter wear" line.

While lighter colors can definitely be more "at home" during warmer weather, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing darker colors during the summer. Hey -- a felt hat is something that can be really hot to wear during the summer, regardless of color. More important, by far, is the weight of the felt itself. I tend to think "seasonally" about my hats more in terms of weight and style, rather than color.

Nik Feist -- it's perfectly OK to wear a gray lid (or something in chocolate brown) any time, so long as it's comfortable for you. :)

Cheers,
JtL

bradford

Familiar Face
Bashing?

What's the point of bashing your own hat?

I have about 5 hats now and every one has come with already bashed from the hat stores where they have been purchased.

I'm just curious as to why so many people talk about doing their own bashing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21