Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Favorite Opening Film Credits

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now Im not talking the first shot of a movie, or the first sequence of the film, I mean purely the opening credits, that part before the director's name is the last bunch of words on the screen, and the movie begins. Credits you would watch without watching the movie.

Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order.

Serenity
Edward Scisorhands
Napoleon Dynamite
Beetlejuice
The Graduate
Vacancy (LOVE those credits)
23 (the only good thing about that entire film, I love type credits)
Batman Mask of the Phantasm
Se7en
The Rescuers Down Under

LD

Esme

One of the Regulars
I agree, definitely se&en, the first movie that came to mind.
Also, (this probably dates me, but) The Pink Panther.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
Hi Lady Day!

What came to mind first:

Odds Against Tommorow
Vertigo
Mo Betta Blues (beautiful scoring)
The Pope Of Greenwich Village
Russia House
The Red Shoes
French Connection II
The Poseidon Adventure (1972 original)
12 Angry Men, both the original and remake.

There was a film that the great Saul Bass did the opening credits for
were there is a black feline
slinking it's way down a city sidewalk,
but having only seen a clip, I don't know the film's title...
but would add that.

Great thread!
Cheers
Fats

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Catch Me If You Can
Se7en
For mood setting simplicity, the original Alien is disturbing perfection.
As far as END credits go, I always loved Angel Heart.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Maurice Binder's work from his hysterical "babies" titles for 1961's "The Grass is Greener" with Cary Grant through his work on the James Bond films (to Licence To Kill).

I also thought the "swapping letters" titles for the remake "Thomas Crown Affair" were clever.

WH1

Practically Family
For my money it is very hard to beat the opening credits in North by Northwest. The music and the visuals are brilliant and set the bar very high for the rest of the movie, which it lives up to.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I enjoy the opening credits - they set a tone for the whole movie. "The Women" (1939) had wonderful opening credits, flashing the actress/character's face and then the face of a corresponding animal that reflected the character's persona. A fun and creative take on the common opening credits of movies in the early 1930's, which had a pic of the actor (from a scene in the movie), their name and the character's name.

Haversack

One Too Many
Another classic opening credits is the beginning of Preston Sturges's 1942, The Palm Beach Story. It doesn't make much sense until the very end of the film.

Haversack.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Everybody votes for the opening of "Seven", and it was the first thing that came to my mind as well. But the opening sequence of "Electric Horseman" set a great tone for that film. The opening 3-4 minutes of "Thief" was outstanding. "To Live and Die in LA" had a dynamite film sequence set to an equally great theme song.
"Apocalypse Now" had a stirring opening with The Doors "The End" playing while napalm bombs exploded in the jungle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot