Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Favorite Opening Film Credits

Queue

Familiar Face
UWS Cowboy said:
Well, I have to say Watchmen's opening credits are probably the best I've ever seen.

I'll second that. Got in a lot of the important history without holding up the story. I know this is somewhat contrary to the point of credits but I hardly noticed the credits. I knew they were and saw most of them (probably) but the names and titles did not interfere with the narrative which seems to be a huge stumbling block for lots of films.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
filfoster said:
The Third Man: The zither music is awesome;
Schindler's List: sad but so evocative
Any Sean Connery Bond film, just because.
To Kill a Mockingbird
While taste is a personal thing (there's a pointlessly obvious thought!), I was somewhat surprised to see only you, Filfoster, mentioning TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD...not only because it is set in the time period of interest around here, but more importantly because, IMHO, the extended credit sequence is, frankly....maybe a bit better work of art than the film itself. Now that might be food for LOTS of discussion! But, unlike many title sequences, the imagery in this one is intimately tied in to the story....but while visually and intellectually compelling....you can't divine the significance of the objects until you've seen the entire film. Thanks to the DVD/R, one can now go back and look at it again....with new eyes. Just as beautiful and compelling, but now significant too.

There's much I love about this film--truly a classic--but the things about it that make me say: oh, so close....it could have been SO much better! are the fact that...it doesn't really look or feel like the period its set in (to me); and the kid actors seem to me to be just that....kid actors, doing "kid" stuff. While the writing really gets into the head of a child...these children don't much act like children. To me.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
BruceTracy said:
I love the music that plays during the titles of Pulp Fiction but have no idea what the piece of music is called. Does anyone here know? I would love to have it on my iPod.

Miserlou - Dick Dale and his Del-Tones

...make sure you get the right one...there are a lot of different recordings by different artists...

my vote is Last Action Hero...but i can't remember when the credits role...

kiltie

Practically Family
UWS Cowboy said:
Well, I have to say Watchmen's opening credits are probably the best I've ever seen.

Saw this last night, and yeah, they're up there. Very much in keeping with the theme of this site, while being razor sharp, satirically*, and setting you up for the story about to unfold. They really helped out with the parts of the story that were edited from the comic, and the actual titles are relatively discreet.
The costumes are great in that segment, and the action bits are six year old cheddar cheesy.

*coal, midnight, jet, pitch black...

My favorite opening credits sequence is from The Sting (1973) which begins with the actual 1930s vintage Universal Studios logo and segues into a montage of Saturday Evening Post style artwork.

Another creative use of the studio logo was Eddie Murphy's Coming to America which starts with a miniature of the Paramount mountain and some scenery and then the camera pans past the mountain and more scenery until it reaches the fictional African kingdom of the main character.

Other opening credits that I like are from:

Back To the Future
Richard III (Ian McKellen version)
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket (I like anything by Stanley Kubrick)
The Stuntman (great music)
The Great Race
Battle of Britain

cecil

A-List Customer
Don't laugh.

I love bits of old "junk", so when I watched The Junkman the other day I thoroughly enjoyed the opening credits. So much to look at! I believe they are director/stuntman H B Halicki's own toys.

Click herrrre.

Also.. Airheads! Can't find it on Youtube. Dancing guitars wheeee.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW