Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100 year old telephone

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Today I noticed that an old wall telephone I have in my collection has just turned 100 years old. So, I guess it's officially called an "antique" now, not vintage?

It was built in 1909 by the Canadian Independent Telephone Company of Toronto, Canada.
Abbreviated C.I.T.Co., the company did it's best to compete against "Ma Bell" here in Canada by widely appealing to rural farming regions while Bell focused on urban centres.

Now, this phone isn't in perfect condition, the bakelite mouthpiece is chipped and the oak cabinet needs a new writing shelf. All is fixable, project for another day.
At some point, probably the 1930s, the old dry cell batteries on the inside were replaced with a lower maintenance power supply that you could plug into a wall socket.

C.I.T.Co. began to lose business and was purchased by E.S. Rogers in the 1920s. From this company, Rogers would build a multi-million dollar radio empire that lives on today through a company his son started, Rogers Communications.

3763799242_275f96363e.jpg

3763151997_7db2221444.jpg

Early 1920s Advertisement for CITCo.

3763795682_d8149fb7f6.jpg

3763777930_3769709d0e.jpg

Tag on the front of the cabinet

3762992665_ff53fe8e6c.jpg

Inside the cabinet

3762987037_ca647280ab.jpg

Tag on the inside of the door

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
I have a question about these old wall-phones...

Do you use it? And how?

No, I don't use this one, it's just for looks.

Many people have had them converted for use with our more modern systems.
So basically, a new phone is installed inside the old case.

In their original form, you cannot use this telephone today as a regular home phone. There's no dial with proper numbers because dialing was done by the crank on the right. For example, your phone number may be "one short and two longs". That's one short turn of the crank and two long turns on the crank.

Also, with the battery inside these phones acted as 'line boosters'. Your battery boosted the power in the line so the next house on your 'party line' would get the signal.

Party lines were horrible. The people in the next farm over could listen to your conversations for entertainment.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
Party lines were horrible. The people in the next farm over could listen to your conversations for entertainment.

Actually, everyone on the party line could here, as well as the person at central.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
carouselvic said:
Actually, everyone on the party line could here, as well as the person at central.

Yep, that's right. Scary stuff. It was the same here.
I missed some things about the phone because I'm always trying to type fast enough to beat that dreaded Fedora Lounge Forum login timeout.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Actually, these magneto sets can be quite useful without their being modified. A pair (or more) make a topping intercom set-up. Place a couple of alkaline D cells in the battery compartment of each instrument and connect across a line. Either a pair of wires, or single conductor and ground. I've telephoned a half-mile on an uninsuated strand of fence wire with these sets. They are just the thing to set up between the kitchen, basement and garage. Such an intercom can save a good deal of vocal strain.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
Actually, these magneto sets can be quite useful without their being modified. A pair (or more) make a topping intercom set-up. Place a couple of alkaline D cells in the battery compartment of each instrument and connect across a line. Either a pair of wires, or single conductor and ground. I've telephoned a half-mile on an uninsuated strand of fence wire with these sets. They are just the thing to set up between the kitchen, basement and garage. Such an intercom can save a good deal of vocal strain.

Good idea, vitanola, :eusa_clap

It's funny that you mention your intercom concept because that was basically how this phone was originally used.
It was one of two phones set up on a personal telephone line between the main farmhouse and another house built on the property a few hundred yards away where a "hired hand" lived for over thirty years.

The family that owned the property could phone the hired hand from home without having to trudge through the barnyard, especially beneficial in the wintertime when snowbanks got high.

934869967_e0e30c4102.jpg

A photo of the house the telephone came out of, circa 1910.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Someone should market that idea! Vintage intercoms. I can hear the infomercial now...

Are you sick of the boring, white plastic intercoms you have around the house? Are you tired of all the buttons sticking underneath the pad or the boring beeping sounds? Perhaps you'd like something classier? Maybe you live in an older-style house with vintage furniture and need something more 'retro' to fit in with your look? Or perhaps you just want to hide the fact that what you have IS a set of intercoms?

Introducing the retrocom! Featuring smart, wood cases, steel crank-handles and charming, two-gong electric bells, these intercoms, which are built to mimic turn-of-the-century wall-mounted telephones, add a touch of class, sophistocation and a certain 'wotsit' to your home! Simply lift the reciever, turn the handle and talk! No more squinting trying to look at numbers or trying to read instructions off of a glary, digital screen! Enjoy simplicity and class with the new retrocoms! Buy a set today and get another set, free!

Also - Ask about our special dialler-box which allows you to connect several retrocoms at the same time and communicate between different retrocoms all through your house or place of business!

Bingles

A-List Customer
A friend of mine has one of these old phones which has been wired to work on a modular plug... it doesn't have a phone on the inside, it uses the outside mouth and ear piece. Obviously it's an "extension"... or used only to answer incoming calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner