Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Stetson Information

shar

New in Town
Ok guys, I admit it, when I first found the lounge, I had only intended to stop in long enough to get information. While I was waiting to be approved thou, I looked around at all you fine hats and I love them! As a lady, I don't really think I could pull off a Fedora, thou I'd love to have the style to try. Sadly, I'm just a mom and housewife/ebay seller. I think I am going to stick around and I going to start picking up more hats because I feel more confident with all the information here. It's amazing! And I truly appreciate all the work and knowledge on this board.

So let me get to it. I came across a really nice hat at a yard sale and I have been trying to track down what it is. Sadly, I need to money and can't keep this one, but I want to know what it is since I think it's pretty rare. It's a Stetson in wonderful condition. It has the Paris Grand Prize stamp inside and on one side of the sweat band. It's also double marked Saks & Co. New York. From what I have been able to figure out, that dates it to 1900-1910 (ish) Also, Saks & Co. became Saks 5th Ave in 1925 so I know for sure it pre-dates that. It has re order stickers inside, and a lot number. The sweat band is not stitched. It also has the small black and white size tag.

When I say this hat is in great condition, I do mean GREAT! It's very clean, no moth bites, the sweat band looks and feels new-it's soft and supple, and the hat just looks almost new. When I got it, I thought it was probably from the 50's and as the date kept moving back and am shocked that it could be 100+ years old and look this good.

The style is kinda getting by me. It appears to be a Homburg, but the edge isn't banded. While I was cleaning it, I noted that it can be folded out into a classic Fedora, but it seems to sit best as the Homburg. It is center creased and has creases on both sides. What would this style be called?

And my most daunting bit, I have no idea what it's made of or what is the proper term for it. It feels wonderful! Like a super soft plush stuffed animal. I guess is could be beaver and it has a similar feel to a beaver top hat I have, but it seems softer than that. What should I call it?

And then a general question. When you all look at eBay hats, what information do you need to know?

lg00i.jpg

2dacca8.jpg

b88rjc.jpg

kdsemu.jpg

9s897c.jpg

j0cp3r.jpg

2nqf6dg.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Nice clear close-ups of all tags, liner logo, sweatband stamps and construction details such as overwelt brims or ventilation holes are always a big help when looking at hats online. As ar as the felt content goes, in most cases beaver will be indicated somewhere on the hat, often on the sweatband, as beaver fur in the felt is a big selling point.

It's a lovely old Stetson soft hat - sold at Saks sometime in the second decade of the 20th century. Most likely it is hare. You might enjoy the pre-1940s Stetson Dress Hats thread if you haven't found it already. Does the size label on the sweatband have a scalloped edge? What is the LOTXXXX number you found behind the sweat? What is the price on the price tag? If it is larger than 7 1/8 it might draw some interest on ebay. If it is 7 1/8, you should sell it to me! :)

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Hi shar, welcome to the forum...;)

And then a general question. When you all look at eBay hats, what information do you need to know?

For me the size (you'd be surprised at how many sellers neglect to state size :eusa_doh:)the color (digital cameras often have difficulties capturing certain tones) and the dimensions (brim width/crown height) are the most important.
Buyers often know more about hats than the sellers so good photos will give a more accurate depiction than the vendor's waffle. :D

shar

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the great information. And thanks for the welcome. I have a cheap fedora I wear sometimes mostly to irritate my daughter, but being mom doesn't give me much of a chance to wear it. On ladies, it seems a bit much to wear one to the grocery or for dropping off at the PO. I'm kind of quirky so the kids at her school don't seem to mind near as much as she does. But I do think I am going to start wearing one more often. I just love the style and let me tell you, you guys look sharpe in your hats! Kudos Gentlemen..the ladies like!

So back to the hat. It's size 7 1/8, and black with black grosgrain ribbon. The back end of the ribbon is frayed which I see that is kind of common. I've been looking thru threads and am still confused. Is this long haired or velour? Would be nutria do you think? Of all the information on it, there is no mention of what it's made of. When I sell it, should I just not put anything in for that?

I agree lean'an'mean, the buyer will know way more about this hat, but I do wan to give its much as info as I can. I will get better pics with better lighting. And when I get back on the laptop, I will post the pics of the inner tags and the lot # stamp. I see in other treads where you guys are trying to gather all that information for reference. I will add it to that thread too, thou I think this one will mess up the timeline. The lot number on it suggests 30's while this one has to be pre 1925.

Great find, Shar! Although not exclusive to the period, the frayed back of the ribbon bow was highly fashionable in the 20's.

The hat is a longhair finish, not a velour. Had it been nutria or beaver (very rare) it would be specified as these were higher priced models. If you visit the Sweat Stamp LotXXXX thread you will find a couple of variants to the sequence which suggest that an earlier series of numbers ran before 1920. The ones I have seen are 1900 Exposition imprints. Yours might be in this group which would push it back a little earlier in the 20th century.

No worries about giving tons of information on eBay. It will be purchased by someone who knows what it is.

shar

New in Town
Thanks Alan. I mentor people on selling and I often tell them buyers know what they are looking at and the price will reflect that- it'll get where it needs to be so long as you give them good pictures and what info you can. LOL I need to follow my own words of wisdom.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Fedora all the way. A homburg has a broad edge ribbon and curl. Great hat! I'm both disappointed and thrilled that it's not my size. :)

A

Lots of theory on Warner Huston's pages... of mixed accuracy.

Keep in mind that when Saks moved to Fifth Avenue in 1924 it was still branded as Saks & Company (that signage remains today).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters