Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100X Beaver Custom

Duck

Practically Family
There were a few of us at Buckaroo Hatters last weekend (Rusty, Luke and myself) to work on hats or just hang out. There was going to be more people, but life gets in the way sometimes. Well the Major had some hat bodies picked out for the people that attended to make their own hats! I stated that I would like to build a western and the Major handed me a beautiful 6 oz silver belly 100% beaver blank. :eek: That's right 6oz. Lighter than many fedoras!!!
Well with the Major's and Rocky's help and guidance, we made a hat.
Here are some pics of me sanding the blank.
007oj.jpg

017.jpg

Brushing the dust.
020.jpg

Sanding the brim.
010rq.jpg

Finished product.
015m.jpg

Now I did LET Mike perform some of the tasks, such as sewing in the sweat, and cutting the brim. :D I could see myself really messing this up.
Rocky was great with helping shape the hat.
Great bunch of people and friends!!

Those that didn't get to come...well you missed it!!! Oh, I forgot to tell you that Mike had these bodies, sweats, liners, ribbons and bands for us to make our free hat. That is right... No Charge for the hat or the lessons!!
Mike is a gentleman that truly loves his craft and sharing his love of hats with others.
My hat is tipped to ya, Major.

Tone

A-List Customer
Helps to have the right equipment for churning out hats in a timely manner. So how many hats did Buckaroo hatters make during that one visit?

Tone

A-List Customer
Were all the details of your hats made right there on the spot? Sweat sewn in, etc? How long did it take you guys to get a new hat from start to finish at Major Moore's?

RBH

Bartender
indycop said:
Looks great Duck! Wish I coulda been there.:(
We missed you, Dee and the girls.. maybe next time.
Mikes buddy Garland was there... now he is something else. :D
It was great seeing you again Keith!!!
I think if it hadnt been for you and me, Mike would have went to the Colgate Music Show across the street! :eusa_doh:

Duck

Practically Family
Tone said:
Were all the details of your hats made right there on the spot? Sweat sewn in, etc? How long did it take you guys to get a new hat from start to finish at Major Moore's?

Yes, we started with a body,then blocked, sanded,and sanded and sanded, finished, flanged, sewn in the sweat, etc. The only thing that was pre-made was the band, but it still had to be fitted and sewn. We did it in a day.

Tone

A-List Customer
Duck said:
Yes, we started with a body,then blocked, sanded,and sanded and sanded, finished, flanged, sewn in the sweat, etc. The only thing that was pre-made was the band, but it still had to be fitted and sewn. We did it in a day.

Thanks, Duck.
:cool2: Alright, that is pretty darned cool having a hat made in a day (while you wait, so to speak). Sounds like a very cool, visit. And nice western, too, Duck. Few can point to a hat and claim with almost 100% certainty (having a hand in its creation) that, "That's MY hat." ;) :eusa_clap

majormoore

Vendor
You got that right about going across the street, there were many good looking ladies going in over there.

Duck did a real nice job on his hat, he took to it "like a duck to water"

I had hat bodies for all those that had said they were coming , so each could have made his or her hat, maybe there might be next year, never can tell.

New shop is coming along great, will have tons of room to grow as the years come with no problem.

Mike

RBH said:
We missed you, Dee and the girls.. maybe next time.
Mikes buddy Garland was there... now he is something else. :D
It was great seeing you again Keith!!!
I think if it hadnt been for you and me, Mike would have went to the Colgate Music Show across the street! :eusa_doh:

Nikx

New in Town
That looks awesome! I bet the hat feels even better on your head knowing you helped create it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy