Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

11 Sounds your kids probally don't recognize

Connery

One Too Many
This somehow just does not do it for me.:p

Retro_Phone.jpg
:whip:
Grand Vintage Style Retro Cordless Phone

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I miss having an old rotary phone if for no other reason than when you are angry you can SLAM down the head piece. Now a days all you can do is throw the cordless. The problem with that is if you are mad your aim is going to be off.

There were also plenty of cases of people using phones as a weapon -- using them to club a burglar over the head, for instance. What would you do today, use your smart-phone to defriend them on Facebook?

LizzieMaine said:
There were also plenty of cases of people using phones as a weapon -- using them to club a burglar over the head, for instance. What would you do today, use your smart-phone to defriend them on Facebook?

I've seen some of those vintage phones. They have a nice heft and could probably do some damage. :p

Connery

One Too Many

This is what I use ..... no questions asked...:dizzy:

picture-28.png

Renault

One Too Many
As a kid I was always fascinated by the different colored buttons on those old cash registers. Years later when I worked at an electronics surplus store we had one of those machines sitting in the back room which we used to play with. I should have offered to buy it even though it weighed a ton.

Used an old silver prehistoric looking cash register while employed in the consession stand at Barton Springs in Austin Tx., back in '72. What's even funnier, is watching kids these days try to "make change"! ROFLMAO! Most are clueless!!!!!!!!

Renault

Atomic Age

Practically Family

My Western Electric 302 weighs about 5 or 6 pounds. It would surely do some damage, and still work after.

Doug

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I was a kid, my parent's got a cordless phone. It got struck by lightning within 6 months and melted into a plastic mess on top of the TV. But in all fairness, that area is a little lightning prone. Still...

Another advantage of a rotary phone is after you knock your attacker out, you can tie them up with the cord. Triple use: defend yourself, call the police, and secure your assailant.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Another advantage of a rotary phone is after you knock your attacker out, you can tie them up with the cord. Triple use: defend yourself, call the police, and secure your assailant.

Tell that to poor old Al Roberts in Detour!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
In Germany, the TV stations would broadcast a test screen with a very high-pitched sound before actually going off the air.

ard.jpg

Another thing I remember is the bell of the milkman who used to drive through the neighborhoods to sell dairy products, eggs, vegetables - and (the most important thing for us kids) ice cream! :D

And then there was the organ grinder who would come by our window every now and then...

altberlin_leierkastenmann_drehorgelspieler.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
You brought back some memories Mario, thanks:)

There used to be a knife grinder with cart that would come around and clank a bell with a hammer to sound his arrival. People would come out with their knives, scissors, "what have you" and he would sharpen their wares.

The cart was similar to this one depicted in this circa 1968 photo.
knife-sharpener.jpg

Atomic Age

Practically Family
The classic RCA Indian Head Test Pattern. This image would sit on your TV screen for something like 30 min before the actual broadcast would start in the 1950's.

6354087511_ef1d74607e_z.jpg

Doug

JimWagner

Practically Family
I remember listening to my grandfather's shortwave radio and hearing the metronome tock of the time service station, periodically punctuated by the voice from who-knows-where intoning, "universal coordinated time". Dial-up time service may be gone, but I think there are still a few shortwave time service stations out there.

WWV is the time station you are remembering and it's still there.

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwv.cfm

CHU is the Canadian equivalent and is also still in operation.

I read this and chuckled as I look at the rotary phone on my desk, next to my typewriter. I could her my percolator popping and hissing in the next room lol

Atomic Age

Practically Family
WWV is the time station you are remembering and it's still there.

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwv.cfm

CHU is the Canadian equivalent and is also still in operation.

For years people have wondered about the short wave "number" stations that pop up and are gone a few hours later. You would be scanning around the short wave dial, and run across a voice that seems to be just saying random numbers or letters. An example of one of these stations can be heard on this Wiki entry about the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

It turns out that although no government has acknowledged even the existence of these broadcasts, it seems likely that they truly are messages sent to and from spies working for a variety of different governments. These numbers stations continue to broadcast to this day, but as most people don't have a short wave radio, very few people hear them anymore.

Doug

BigFitz

Practically Family
I certainly remember all of them. Of course everyone still goes CHOO CHOO when describing the sound a train makes when most have never heard a steam engine coming down the tracks, including me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80