Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blasphemous A-1 in Natural Vicenza and Olive Knit

A-1

One Too Many
Hi everyone,
I'm planning my second and probably last jacket and looking for thoughts of you.
It's gonna be something a bit out of the ordinary, or as others will call it sacrilegious.

I was thinking about starting with the base of an A-1 model in the natural Vicenza with olive knits. Also cream cat's eye buttons. Maybe also olive or red lining.

Another thing I was considering is to ask for an AN-J-3 or A-2 collar. For me without any knowledge about A-2s, which collar is a handy and good-looking one?

I know it sure won't be everyone's cup of tea here but I think it'll look superb when I put it through my everyday routine.

I am also thinking about choosing more convenient pockets. (Handwarmer pockets with these little triangles on the sides, don't know the proper name)

So it's gonna be a blasphemous A-1 after all.

What are your thoughts so far?
I know, I know, it's hard to decide where to start... haha.

I am thankful for everyone's opinion and thoughts.

When everything's collapsing, trust the kids!
- www.zekimin.com -

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not sure that could be seen as sacrilegious. The A1 was a civilian sportswear design with many variations that was standardized by the military. You are simply returning the basic pattern to its quotidian use. I like it.

Mark

Practically Family
Leather collar is a good idea. I have an A1, the collar is a pain, it's itchy against your neck and has a habit of "pinging" up!
White buttons mmm, maybe some nice natural horn or coconut buttons would look better?

Reactions: A-1

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
A-1 in Natural hide sounds good, olive knits? Why not. I personally would go with russet, though.

With the handwarmer pockets and the normal collar, what you want sounds a lot like a buttoned Happy Days. If you went that route, you'd also get a one-piece-back and spare yourself the trouble of an argument over messing up a historically accurate design.

A-1

One Too Many
Leather collar is a good idea. I have an A1, the collar is a pain, it's itchy against your neck and has a habit of "pinging" up!
White buttons mmm, maybe some nice natural horn or coconut buttons would look better?
Coconut and natural horn buttons sound great!!!
And thanks for the collar advice. I was thinking it might be a problem.

A-1

One Too Many
A-1 in Natural hide sounds good, olive knits? Why not. I personally would go with russet, though.

With the handwarmer pockets and the normal collar, what you want sounds a lot like a buttoned Happy Days. If you went that route, you'd also get a one-piece-back and spare yourself the trouble of an argument over messing up a historically accurate design.

I actually like the back of the A-1. I would want another label either way. I like the wayfarer label a lot!

- www.zekimin.com -

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Red lining is nice! Have you ever consider deer hide? I had a 30's made A-1 I loved. It was sold to me as capeskin leather. Leather expert in Mexico pointed some facts in the difference between deer and goat (capeskin). Anyways, the gentleman had a very nice shop and actually worked for Aero until the early 50's. This old timer was a wealth of knowledge in all aspects of the leather process. It is sad that I do not know anyone with such skills anymore. I am sure they are still exits...

BobJ

Practically Family
I don't know if you would be interested, but Headwind Mfg. - one of the merchants who contributes here on the forum - makes the regular A-1, as well as this 37J1. I like this collar much better than the tall one on the A-1 which looks hard to button. Both the A-1 and the 37J1 come in capeskin, and thin, soft 'glove leather' goatskin. Also, I asked them once if they would put handwarmer pockets on these jackets instead of the patch pockets, and they said they would.

37J1:

A-1:

OR, IN CASE YOU WANT A LITTLE WARMTH AROUND YOUR NECK:
551cad84e8da0265e551e6067032ccae

OR, IF YOU HAVE DEVIL-MAY-CARE SWAGGER:
88cad1abc553c637661d22db3ac8aa6a

LINK: http://www.headwindmfg.com/jackets.html

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think olive knits are a great choice with the natural Vincenza. They will look good when the jacket is in pristine new condition and even more so as the jacket begins to darken and develop character. A jacket like this needs to be worn, and worn often, in order to reach its full potential. A-1 is one of the few members here who has proven that he can give a jacket the undivided attention it needs to really break it in right.
I can't wait to see it!

A-1

One Too Many
Does anyone know if Aero has any leather that is like the natural Vicenza but is more prone to diet and wear? Or does Aero offer the natural CXL for jackets?

I also really like the battered steer and battered tan horse.

I'm just thinking that the Vicenza might turn out too orange for my taste. Not brown enough I mean.

- www.zekimin.com -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24