Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for opinions and recommendations regarding a potential jacket modification

TLW '90

Practically Family
It's no secret that I really love this pioneer wear jacket and it has become one of my absolute favorites just because I think it's so cool.
20230209_101304.jpg

With that being said I know the sleeves are a little long, and it has been suggested that cuff adjustment / closure could be a good solution for this and I completely agree.
they really do fit like a sleeve with the cuff adjustment undone.

I'm just not sure where to go with this,I don't know exactly what to have done, and who I could send it to ( maybe Bedo's ).

I think the best looking option would be a strap with snaps as found on the rear waist of the jacket, but matching snaps are gonna be hard to find.
20230824_135328.jpg

The next best solution which I think would also be the most practical would be a strap with ladder slide buckles, there would be no worry about sizing and of course the adjustability would be great when it comes to fitting over my watch.

What would you do here ?
Would you forget about the snaps matching and go that route, or go with the ladder slide buckles ?
Maybe there's something else you'd go with ?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why not just make the sleeves a little tighter overall? At least from the elbow down?

TLW '90

Practically Family
Why not just make the sleeves a little tighter overall? At least from the elbow down?
overall I like the roomy sleeves for mobility and layering purposes, it feels perfect in just about every way except for the wide open cuffs.
plus I don't want to deal with measurements...etc and end up feeling like I made a mistake.
I'd also like to keep to as minor of a modification as possible because once you start making significant changes it's easy to nitpick and before you know it you've turned the thing into an entirely different jacket.
I just want to make one minor change to add a utilitarian improvement to it without significantly disturbing the nature of the jacket.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Leave it alone. It’s perfect.
I think it's almost perfect ,and I can live with it as is if I have to because I am honestly a bit hesitant to do anything to it, but have sent an email to Steve at Bedo's to see what he thinks and how much it might cost...etc.
I'm not exactly committed to having anything done to it yet, but it'll be great to have a conversation about it with the person I'd have doing the work if I do decide to have something done.

I really would love to have some closure to the cuffs, especially adjustable closure but am a little torn because I want something that could pass as original to the jacket.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
I tried having a look online for some vintage suede truckers to get an idea, but the word " vintage " mostly just turns up cheap modern crap.
It seems however from what I could find that the simple slit cuff with tab and snap button is the most common for a suede trucker.
I'm not opposed to that if I'm right in considering this a trucker, but I'm not sure how extensive that modification would be and again the issue of matching the button snaps comes into play.

I only payed a little over $100 shipped for the jacket , and would be willing to spend as much as $200 for the work if I have to but am concerned that even a small change like this could effect the look of the jacket.

Mandarin

Practically Family
Same problem occured to me and I just had an extra snap added to the cuff.
I went to a local taylor who does alterations.
First picture shows how he added a stud next to the first one. He didn't even need to change the original Lee cap. Only difference is the new stud is white, while the original one is black, but since both are covered, you can't even notice it. Don't remember the cost, but it was way less than 10 €.
Lee.jpg

Next picture shows how the taylor had to replace the original set of snaps since he didn't have a matching stud. In the end, the cuff snaps don't show the brand logo as on the rest of the jacket, but I don't think anyone would notice, and frankly, it doesn't matter.
go west.jpg

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just got a message back from Steve at Bedo's, and he said this wasn't something he was willing to work on at this time.
I assume he's just too busy with shoes right now, but I didn't ask or push.
I don't know who else I could trust to do this if I have it done.

Btw that adjustment I posted the picture of is on the rear waist of the jacket, there is nothing on the cuffs.

TLW '90

Practically Family
An additional push button can be fitted by anyone.
Order the right size and punch the hole with the tool provided and rivet the push button in place.
I can put a snap in myself of course , but where would I put it if the cuff has no closure or anything?

Are you suggesting I just kind of fold the cuff like this and attach a snap ?
20230825_104803.jpg

Because it certainly has nothing like this going on.
20230825_105250.jpg

TLW '90

Practically Family
I tried to contact them but keep getting flagged as spam.

Could this be a sign that I'm not supposed to alter this jacket in any way ?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
how about just buy a natural vegtan strip usually sold for handbag strap perhaps 2mm thick, and a small buckle, and just make your own strap, fold the cuff near the seam similarly left and right and just cinch it with a strap like armband and wear the jacket, after sometime the strap will be part of the jacket and will stay in the same spot

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can put a snap in myself of course , but where would I put it if the cuff has no closure or anything?

Are you suggesting I just kind of fold the cuff like this and attach a snap ?
View attachment 542506

Because it certainly has nothing like this going on.
View attachment 542507
Ah ok. Now I understand the problem.
These are closed sleeves. Then I would do nothing or taper from the elbow. But more likely do nothing.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I would say this, it's only Original once.
I'm starting lean this way myself.

I have been very hesitant anyways , I didn't want to do anything that would alter the look of the jacket and don't think anything but snaps would look right and they'd absolutely have to be exact matches to the originals.

I really like the jacket, it's very comfortable and the roomy sleeves are great when it comes to layering.
The cuffs are only an issue when I review a picture and overthink how it looks, I'm just going to leave it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner