Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Assistance please - Californian California Sportswear horsehide leather jacket half belt 30s 40s?

yeahsee

New in Town
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me more about this jacket? I am specifically curious about the approx year of manufacture. I assume this jacket is from the 1930s-1940s? Would that be correct?

The Californian label is blue with a green mountain range and states Selected Horsehide. It has a main Talon zipper. The breast pocket has no zipper. The lining looks like some type of barkcloth, but feels like nylon. The lining also continues into the sleeves and runs all the way to the inner cuff. The inner pockets appear to be cotton material.

I have included a few photos, including a button and the metal "buckles".

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7030.JPG
    IMG_7030.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7031.JPG
    IMG_7031.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7032.JPG
    IMG_7032.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7032a.JPG
    IMG_7032a.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7033.JPG
    IMG_7033.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_7034.JPG
    IMG_7034.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7036.JPG
    IMG_7036.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 101

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Nice, not seen a Californian quite like this. It appears to have a Talon Sunrise zipper. The stop box has a number code on the bottom edge, or stamped in the middle. This has the look of a Wartime zipper. Check it out, do a pic of the stop box.

Observe

One Too Many
The leather looks amazing on this one. Liner looks to have very little wear for a jacket this old, possibly re-lined?

yeahsee

New in Town
The liner is in fantastic condition, possibly relined. I am no tailor, but considering the sleeves contain the same material as the body, it seems it would be a complicated job.
That is great information about the zipper, and totally correct. Here are photos. It appears to have 3 "dots" and the number 3. It also says Made in USA Talon.

Attachments

• IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7080.JPG
    IMG_7080.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 93

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Love Californians. T hit it right on the nail. Those pulls were mainly used in the late 30's to early 40's. The quality and most of the time the zipper's serial number reveal the zipper's history. Sometimes the serial number is not reliable but the type of metal is a good indication of when it was made.

Peacoat

Bartender
When a new member comes here wanting info about a jacket, I know the odds are that he just wants the information so he can complete his listing. This one was no exception. But if you guys don't mind, I don't either.

It would be nice though if they would straight up tell us they're looking to sell, giving the tfl community the possibility to acquire the jacket. Wishful thinking I guess.

100%. I too dislike the subterfuge.

Because they normally disappear to then price the jackets at some pie-in-the-sky price, I try to ignore them like I do the “do these pants make my ass look sexy?” threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner