Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

11 Sounds your kids probally don't recognize

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I remember the rotary dial and the typewriter (Im 22). Some friends of ours had a phone with a rotary dial, much to my chagrin as I really don't have the patience to use one lol! My mothers aunt used to have a typewriter, so I played around with it when we visited her when i was a child. It was fun. Don't really miss 'em though! :p

Atomic Age

Practically Family
When I was a kid sometime in the early 70's, we were still on a party line. There was only one other house on the line, but now and then you'd pick up the phone, and there would be someone else talking on it.

Doug

WH1

Practically Family
My grandparents had a party line until the early 70's.
I still have one rotary dial phone in my office I use it for conference calls because I can hear better on it.
Do they still have dial up time check... you know "at the tone the time will be..." I can remember calling that every time the power went out to reset the clocks in the house.
I still have a percalator coffee urn for use in my COC. Best coffee there is? My wife purchased it for me when I was selected for First Sergeant, it has been to Iraq and Afghanistan twice. Along those lines we still had one typewriter in the command until 3-4 years ago it was used for weapons cards.

Connery

One Too Many
My grandparents had a party line until the early 70's.

My grandparents had a party line too. The funny thing is back then is was somehow reassuring to know there were other people living in the area. It was pretty desolate back then.:)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I was a teenager, my mother taught me how to pick up and hang up a phone without it being audible on the other end. She perfected it when she was on a party line and had no TV. lol She would kill me if she knew I told someone about that, yet alone posted about it on the internet. My parents were astounded the other night to learn that we only have rotary phones in the house.

I'm pretty sure my high school is still using the movie projectors. They were in the 90s, and since they haven't struck oil, I'm willing to bet they are still showing those same movies. The slapping noise it made while the teacher put on the lights and you elbowed your neighbor.

They don't mention the slide projector movies where you heard the "BEEP" from the tape in the tape player and the lucky student got to press the button on the projector to advance to the next slide. "Beep, swish, click. Blah, blah, blah. BEEP, swish, click."

WH1

Practically Family
Ah the good old slide projector. I will always remember the family slide shows after Sunday dinner. My grandmother was notorious for her parade pictures. Usually there was a series of family members on horseback but it was always the back half of the horse because by the time she got her old camera focused they were half way out of the frame. Needless to say lots of "horses ass" jokes from my grandfather. And they always ended with the bright white empty slide in the tray which blinded everyone.

Actually that is another sound...the click and noise of the projector carousel rotating.

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
Ah the good old slide projector. I will always remember the family slide shows after Sunday dinner...... And they always ended with the bright white empty slide in the tray which blinded everyone.

Actually that is another sound...the click and noise of the projector carousel rotating.

Boy - thoughts of that really take me back..... :)

Olivander

New in Town
Do they still have dial up time check... you know "at the tone the time will be..."

I remember listening to my grandfather's shortwave radio and hearing the metronome tock of the time service station, periodically punctuated by the voice from who-knows-where intoning, "universal coordinated time". Dial-up time service may be gone, but I think there are still a few shortwave time service stations out there.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When I was a teenager, my mother taught me how to pick up and hang up a phone without it being audible on the other end. She perfected it when she was on a party line and had no TV. lol She would kill me if she knew I told someone about that, yet alone posted about it on the internet. My parents were astounded the other night to learn that we only have rotary phones in the house.

Lift one end of the earpiece and hold down the cradle or button with the other hand, or finger if on a 502-type model, then gently lift up finger. To hang it up, do the reverse, but wait until people were in conversation to cover whatever sound the phone made while gently pushing down the cradle or button.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
1. Heard.
2. We've almost all heard manual typewriters in movies, I would think.
3. Never heard.
4. Nope.
5. Heard.
6. Heard.
7. Nope
8. Nope
9. Nope
10. Yup, I have one right behind me as I type. Not on though.
11. Yup, but it was the record player that was broken, not the record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80