Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1890's-1900's early hat manufacture HAWES (Hawes Von Gal) HAT CO

Here you go:

8322225421_0cf99c5e3c_m.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos. Here is a link to your complete album. Be sure to enjoy the research that Joshbru has posted in the earlier pages of this thread... surely the most complete compilation of ads for this company to be found anywhere on the web.

BTW, I don't believe there is an illustration of a top hat in any of the ads aforementioned.

Last edited:

samson22

New in Town
you are quite welcome. Josh is the one that I was sending this to, it looked like he had done a lot of research on the company. I guessed the hat was a little more than $3 so they kept it out of the ads. I still can't figure out if it is silk or skin. I have been in the dry cleaning industry all my life and can identify most fabrics and it doesn't look like silk to me and you can move your hand one way on the hat and it is very soft and smooth, the other way and it is going against the grain is the only reason I thought it might be fur of some kind. I hope Josh can shed some light on it so I can put the information with the hat.

...I have been in the dry cleaning industry all my life and can identify most fabrics and it doesn't look like silk to me and you can move your hand one way on the hat and it is very soft and smooth, the other way and it is going against the grain is the only reason I thought it might be fur of some kind. I hope Josh can shed some light on it so I can put the information with the hat.

Hatter's plush was made from silk with a long nap. The fibers have a defined grain that is easily felt when running your fingers against the grain. In my comparison I mention how difficult it is to find the differences between the fur hat and the silk one. The slightly duller sheen in the fur hat is the most remarkable difference.

Silk top hats were made in the late 18th century and by the mid 19th century, were far more popular than beaver. By 1911, Hawes Von Gal was in the midst of financial difficulties that would cause its demise a few years later. This top hat might have been HVG in branding only, perhaps made for them by Dunlap or another manufacturer. Hard to know. But with their reputation for thrifty prices, it seems unlikely that would sell a fur top hat, especially without noting such in the markings.

I was tempted because of the brand connection, but it was in poor condition too small to wear and I have a marina full of boaters.

Curious for Josh's estimate of the vintage. Is it before or after the combination of Hawes and Von Gal? The retailer was in business in Dansville at least up to the second World War.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

VERY COOL, Alan!!

According to my research, the term "Von Gal Made Hats" first appeared in advertisements sometime in 1911. The "Von Gal" name was used much before that, but the logo that says, "Von Gal Made Hat" looks like it was used post-1911. If there was a factory designation, it would pinpoint a date much better because through the years of using the "Hawes," " Hawes Von Gal," and "Von Gal" names, the company added and left various factories and showrooms. Luckily, the ads usually list the various manufacturing locations and showrooms.

Here is an add from 1912 that shows a sweatband with the logo that says, "Von Gal Made Hat" Fine Quality. It appears to be the same exact logo. So the boater would date from around 1911 to probably around 1920-ish.

1913TheClothierandFurnisherVolume82HawesVonGal1.jpg

Interesting that you would be asking this question today, Josh. When Alan and I met the other day, the hat (of his collection) he mentioned specifically as a favorite was his Hawes.

I hope your outreach turns up others.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
They do pop up on Ebay once in a while but mostly top hats and derbies. I've only seen one or two soft hats from them.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Interesting that you would be asking this question today, Josh. When Alan and I met the other day, the hat (of his collection) he mentioned specifically as a favorite was his Hawes.

I hope your outreach turns up others.

Alan's Hawes soft hat is probably my number one favorite hat of his collection.....and I have LOTS of favorites when thinking about his collection. LOL

They do pop up on Ebay once in a while but mostly top hats and derbies. I've only seen one or two soft hats from them.

That's what I have seen as well. Though, I can also say that about other early hat manufactures. It seems the derbies and top hats are put up for auction (not always in the best shape) and the soft hats just rarely if ever pop up.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
SUPER RARE (probably even rarer than a Hawes hat) Hawes Von Gal Hat Ticket Lot

I bought this lot of NOS Hawes Von Gal hat tickets which also came with three original advertising stencils. There are about 65 tickets in all with sizes 6 1/2 - 7 5/8 represented. Interesting though, there are ton of tickets from 6 7/8 - 7 3/8, but only a few smaller than 6 7/8 and only a few larger than 7 3/8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21