Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s Crocodile Gladstone Bag

cookie

I'll Lock Up
This bag according to the 60+ owner was inherited from his grandfather! Go figure as they say in NYC.

Before:

After a clean and some Cadillac cream (unpolished):

A lot of work to go. Someone lost the key and jemmied the lock upwards...probably find someone to fix it. One crease needs some sewing too.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love gladstones. What a fascinating bag. A pity about the lock. Is that repairable? What about the lining inside? In my experience, old gladstone bags often have terrible linings due to decades of abuse.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You can use that Cadillac on the entire inside of that bag, no matter what the material is. Just apply thin, let it sit for a long time and wipe it off, leather inside or a material inside, the cadillac will give everything a drink and keep it supple.

I have to say the Gladstone is one wickedly nice looking carry case. Now you can waltz around with shoes, money, a machine gun, lap top, what ever you could fit in the bag. It looks fantastic! Thanks Cookie, for sharing the pictures and history.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to say the Gladstone is one wickedly nice looking carry case. Now you can waltz around with shoes, money, a machine gun, lap top, what ever you could fit in the bag. It looks fantastic! Thanks Cookie, for sharing the pictures and history.

This is Sydney; we're up to on average three gang shootings per night, plus a stabbing or two. Please don't encourage the locals to carry firearms, not even Cookie! lol

That is one seriously nice case! Cookie, you'll look grand sporting that one around town.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Love the look of those bags but I find them really unusable in practice. Over 40 years I've owned some astonishing mint ones but gave them away. If I can't carry it with a shoulder strap forget it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I worked in the steel works back in 1978 after I came back from overseas. I lasted 3 months... but the crib room was a real sight at lunch time when the boys (principally displaced steel workers from Britain) pulled out the cut lunch prepared by 'er indoors, Daily Telegraph(local tabloid) and the cards for the Eucha game and post prandial digestion before getting back 'on the tools'.

It all came out of a Gladstone bag.

Glad my bag (pun intended) has attracted so much comment. I have already been in touch with some individuals who will turn it back to its former glory.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
This is Sydney; we're up to on average three gang shootings per night, plus a stabbing or two. Please don't encourage the locals to carry firearms, not even Cookie! lol

That is one seriously nice case! Cookie, you'll look grand sporting that one around town.

I sure do understand there is a lot of hooligans in Sydney, as the news here was just making mention of hostages in a Martin Place restaurant. Perhaps though, it may well be a good reason for Cookie to "pack some heat" for his own personal safety????

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I worked in the steel works back in 1978 after I came back from overseas. I lasted 3 months... but the crib room was a real sight at lunch time when the boys (principally displaced steel workers from Britain) pulled out the cut lunch prepared by 'er indoors, Daily Telegraph(local tabloid) and the cards for the Eucha game and post prandial digestion before getting back 'on the tools'.

It all came out of a Gladstone bag.

Glad my bag (pun intended) has attracted so much comment. I have already been in touch with some individuals who will turn it back to its former glory.

All the best on having it come out looking as good as ever. That bag is a work of art. Beautiful.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
That bag will need a full refurbishment... and is well worth it. A full re-lining, as well as reinforcing/ replacing the backing behind the crocodile leather will restore it to its true glory. What an amazing find. Shoes aint too shabby, neither!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sure do understand there is a lot of hooligans in Sydney, as the news here was just making mention of hostages in a Martin Place restaurant. Perhaps though, it may well be a good reason for Cookie to "pack some heat" for his own personal safety????

A raving nutjob terrorist, as it turned out, who killed two innocent people. Thanks to our brilliant judicial system for letting the scumbag out on bail in spite of more than 40 sexual assault charges against him and a murder charge after he set his ex-wife on fire and burned her to death.

We need to pack heat here to protect our own lives from the results of the country having such a weak judiciary.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A raving nutjob terrorist, as it turned out, who killed two innocent people. Thanks to our brilliant judicial system for letting the scumbag out on bail in spite of more than 40 sexual assault charges against him and a murder charge after he set his ex-wife on fire and burned her to death.

We need to pack heat here to protect our own lives from the results of the country having such a weak judiciary.

I'd settle for robust law reform which is easily possible and eschew Film noir solutions.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That bag will need a full refurbishment... and is well worth it. A full re-lining, as well as reinforcing/ replacing the backing behind the crocodile leather will restore it to its true glory. What an amazing find. Shoes aint too shabby, neither!

You are so right. I might try with some Cadillac cream first as someone just sent me a new bottle LOL!. Already discussed with my cobbler how we can refit the end pieces with his nice Italian shoe leather which he gets in like small flitches.

You can see the aging related folding over which has stressed the interstices in the croc tiles on one side:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff