Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s - fashion with fun, whimsy and chic

Mojito

One Too Many
Interesting question on the fans, Paul. I have seen some court fans, 20s and earlier, in their original boxes - perhaps that is how they were stored and carried?

ThesFlishThngs, that photo of you and your daughter is absolutely adorable. So many lovely elements to it.

BFF's birthday tomorrow, and we're giving her a silver and black beaded 20s vintage purse covered in looped fringe.

I've had quite a few buys lately that I haven't photographed, including a headpiece like that one that used to be in your avatar, Lauren - except this one has blue beaded drops instead of pearls.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paul said:
I know I am going slightly :eek:fftopic: of dresses etc Sorry onto now 1920's fans,

I know the small paper ones wear free giveaways for advertisements and could maybe slipped into a hand bag.

However the large feather one could not be , how were they carried I can only think they were used when you when away for a weekend and stayed in a house carried in a train case or small suit case,

Has any one seen any etiquette about using fans ?

I used to own the largest website on hand fans on the internet: 800 pages of info. I took it down, but have the site and was going to re-post it again for people to browse.

During the 1920's, fans ranged from doll fans to advertising to strip tease. So. The largest fans were sold with and without fan cases for storage. If interested, I can post some of my 1920 fans when I have some time. There might already be some in this thread - I think that I posted some earlier?
Vintage Betty

P

Paul

Vintage Betty said:
I used to own the largest website on hand fans on the internet: 800 pages of info. I took it down, but have the site and was going to re-post it again for people to browse.

During the 1920's, fans ranged from doll fans to advertising to strip tease. So. The largest fans were sold with and without fan cases for storage. If interested, I can post some of my 1920 fans when I have some time. There might already be some in this thread - I think that I posted some earlier?
Vintage Betty

Hi that would be great, I have an original 20's it's nice bit has seen lot better days , it was not too expensive and I starting to make a copy of it for a 20's outfit, I post a photo in the morning.

Feathers

Familiar Face
Paul - you are absolutely ravishing - the hat is a delight!

The 20s (and 30s) top my list and these dresses are turning me quite the shade of green! I have a wedding dress that I won on ebay for quite a good price and included the original gloves, headpiece, and lacy undergarments! I shall have to dig up the photos, though I do think I posted it a long time ago.

Thank you for posting the photos of these beauties, Ladies, keep 'em comin'!

P

Paul

Feathers said:
Paul - you are absolutely ravishing - the hat is a delight!

Thank you very much Feathers.

Here a photo of my fan for onece the photo is better than the item.
20_fan.jpg

What I love to know is if the feather were originally lot longer then now?
The black wood is 12 1/2" long.

so is this a court fan (or was) it's made in wood, silk and backed with paper or is it called something else.

Mojito

One Too Many
Silver Bullion Cloche

Finally found one of these that wasn't in the four figure range! A silver bullion evening cloche/wig:

SilverBullionCloche.jpg

They come in both silk and bullion thread, as seen in these examples on Antiquedress.com:

flapperheadsilverhairsid.jpg

flapperheadpinkhairbkk.jpg

I'm so pleased to finally get one, as I've only seen about half a dozen or so examples of them (including one in extremely poor condition).

Have to photograph all the other things I've bought lately, including some very extravagent headwear...one is a headdress that looks like a cross between something Mucha and Erte would design.

cecil

A-List Customer
Wow, I was just looking at some photos of Dita Von Teese yesterday and wondering what a wig she was wearing was made of. Now I know! That's awesome.

Mojito

One Too Many
Oh, brilliant - does she have one? I'd love to see a link! There's a Man Ray photograph featuring one.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Mojito said:
Finally found one of these that wasn't in the four figure range! A silver bullion evening cloche/wig:

SilverBullionCloche.jpg

That's nice Mojito it will be strange seeing you with a different hair shade also , it will look great i know on you

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks for sending through that link, Cecil - I'd agree that it looks like the same style of wig, and wow!...she looks amazing in it.

Aw - thanks Paul :) A friend and I have been tossing around the idea of wearing some different hair colours/styles at Napier next year. Not sure if how I'd look as a blonde, though, with my dark eyebrows!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mojito, I was just discussing these with a friend a few days ago! Can you tell me, were they meant to be hats or wigs? I've seen them sold as both. And how did they come about?
Congrats on your find!

Mojito

One Too Many
Sorry Lauren - I never got back to you!

I think "wigs" is the correct term - these days we look at them as cloche headwear as they seem too stiff and unnatural to be a wig, but not so back in the day!

The seller of the wig I bought was kind enough to enclose a New York Times Article from 1922 that reads thus:

WIRE WIGS FOR WOMEN

New French Fashion Is Said To Have Many Advantages

PARIS Oct. 28 - Wire wigs for women are the latest beauty fashion of Paris. They have, it is said, many advantages. They fit closer to the head. Their curls do not come out; they are cheaper than hair wigs and they can e tinted to any desired color. Their cheapness, in fact, allows the fair wearer to have a selection in variety of color to suit the time of day and the robe she wishes to wear.

Naturally they are made of the finest wire, but thicker than natural hair, and their weight is inconsiderable.

I love how it feels and looks - very happy with it!

I need to put a whole bunch of pics up, as I've had a wonderful time purchasing lately.

Mojito

One Too Many
Some new acquisitions to add to the 20s thread...

This looks even more spectacular in person:

Turquoisedress.jpg

Lovely green original slip that goes with it. I love the hints of its past - there are a few melted gelatine sequins where the dance partner's hand would have rested!

A friend trying on one of my new bandeaux:

VintageFairs035.jpg

VintageFairs018.jpg

Bandeaux (need to get a good photo of the coat as well - the Santa coat, as my visiting nephews and niece have dubbed it).

VintageFairs014.jpg

And I finally got one of these!

VintageFairs030.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Thanks, Analiebe! I've wanted one for forever - they go for astronomical prices. The more commonly seen versions have faux pearls rather than the blue glass beads.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have a ? and do not know where else to ask. I found the most amazing metal mesh antique collar today. I have never seen anything like it. Like the metal the antique purses are made of.
Would this be of the 1920s period or earlier and has anyone seen one before? I will have to add photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran