Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930 fedora hats

ivansmith1590

New in Town
Hey everyone! I'm about to have a hat made by Art Fawcett from VS that looks like the one Bruce Willis wore in last man standing. Could anyone tell me if this style of hat would look good in today's age? Or could it bring me more negatives?

Derek WC

Banned
Wasn't the Fedora Lounge created because fedora wearing isn't mainstream?

Honestly though, if you want something that goes with modern times, you'll need an incredibly tapered crown with a half inch brim.

Taking Tomasso's usual advice, I googled it and that looks like the standard 1930's style. Tall crown, 2 1/2" brim.

Yet, the important thing is not to let negative comments from other people get to you. What I believe is people give men who wear hats gruff because they are jealous of their confidence, and are obviously self-conscious.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone! I'm about to have a hat made by Art Fawcett from VS that looks like the one Bruce Willis wore in last man standing. Could anyone tell me if this style of hat would look good in today's age? Or could it bring me more negatives?
We fedora wearers don't care about negatives. We are trend setters. It's up to the rest of the world to try to keep up with us. If you like that hat, get it and wear it proudly.

ivansmith1590

New in Town
Your right. I have noticed that most guys are wearing short crowns and stingy brims. After yrs of trying different style hats I have noticed that my passion are for 30's style. You have to choose your hat carefully because people can tell what type of person or mood you are due to the style of the hat. Hip hop look=short crown stingy brim. Conservative look= tall crown.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Agreed, if you like that style Art will make it perfect and you'll love the hat. When spending that much money on such a personal item, the ball is in your court my friend.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I don't wear any of the 'eccentric' things to please anyone else. I do it because I want to, and I like it. Call me what you will, rebellious, archaic, blissfully ignorant, unstable - I don't care. I am typically wearing a fedora, vintage dress clothes, and a pocket watch. Some people think its cool, some people think I'm weird for it. But either way, it doesn't matter. If you're wearing it to make others think you're strange, or to follow a trend or fashion, then that shows and it won't look natural on you. If you project that air of confidence (some would say even borderline haughtiness) then that also shows, and nobody will mind because they see it's something you're passionate about, and they recognize that and think its admirable. (Then of course there are always the ones who can't distinguish left from right for the life of them and can't differentiate between one attitude or the other; but do they matter anyways?) So the cliche answer is this: If you wear it confidently, people see you wearing a hat, not a hat wearing you. And they respect you more for it.

P.S.-Shouldn't this be in hats?

Cheers,

ivansmith1590

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your support. I feel like I have a place to go to relate with others that have similar interest. But I have to confess this is not my first hat. I have three other hats from optimo. But my first from art. Any suggestions on what looks good with a 1930 style besides a suit or blazer

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Your right. I have noticed that most guys are wearing short crowns and stingy brims. After yrs of trying different style hats I have noticed that my passion are for 30's style. You have to choose your hat carefully because people can tell what type of person or mood you are due to the style of the hat. Hip hop look=short crown stingy brim. Conservative look= tall crown.

I like to say: "Hat wearing is fun, hat buying is a serious business"

Hat buying is serious because you are buying a quality article, to last you for many years, and to reflect your own individuality and style. Hat wearing is fun because it reflects your own individuality and style!

I only have a few hats but I always get a good quality item. I look in department stores but I don't like the "plastic" stingies they usually have. They are fine on a young fella, don't get me wrong, but it's not MY style.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Guess we focused in on your 3 posts, and not that you've been here for two years...

High waisted trousers, braces, dress shirt, bow tie? Sproily had a real sweet look going a while ago. Been considering a replica of those trousers for a while now.

sportsq.jpg

Can't beat that for classic 30's IMHO.

And welcome back into the Lounge. We gotta see those Optimos and VS's.

Cheers,

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I don't wear any of the 'eccentric' things to please anyone else. I do it because I want to, and I like it. Call me what you will, rebellious, archaic, blissfully ignorant, unstable - I don't care. I am typically wearing a fedora, vintage dress clothes, and a pocket watch. Some people think its cool, some people think I'm weird for it. But either way, it doesn't matter. If you're wearing it to make others think you're strange, or to follow a trend or fashion, then that shows and it won't look natural on you. If you project that air of confidence (some would say even borderline haughtiness) then that also shows, and nobody will mind because they see it's something you're passionate about, and they recognize that and think its admirable. (Then of course there are always the ones who can't distinguish left from right for the life of them and can't differentiate between one attitude or the other; but do they matter anyways?) So the cliche answer is this: If you wear it confidently, people see you wearing a hat, not a hat wearing you. And they respect you more for it.

People think I'm weird anyway. These days I have chosen to run with it, rather than try to confirm with their expectations. I have a friend who says to me "Hello, strange man".

And I love him for it. And I love all my fellow weirdos on the Fedora Lounge ;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thats always part of the battle - deciding how and if we're gonna be comfortable wearing something we want to wear when its not 'what everyone else does.'

We're going to a big party tomorrow night. Dress is 'cocktail attire.' Most of my male friends are going to wear open-collared dress shirts with slacks. One was talking about dress jeans, if his wife lets him (with a chuckle - har de har har).

Im gonna wear a jacket, vest, shirt, tie, trousers, shoes, pocket watch. Im very comfortable that way, and if Im a little over-dressed, so what. I love the look, and I believe it shows. No one looks at me cross-eyed about it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
We're going to a big party tomorrow night. Dress is 'cocktail attire.' Most of my male friends are going to wear open-collared dress shirts with slacks. One was talking about dress jeans, if his wife lets him (with a chuckle - har de har har).

I would boot them for that. To me cocktail is black tie, or a snazzy suit at least.

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Thanks everyone for your support. I feel like I have a place to go to relate with others that have similar interest. But I have to confess this is not my first hat. I have three other hats from optimo. But my first from art. Any suggestions on what looks good with a 1930 style besides a suit or blazer

flannel trousers, cravat, correspondent shoes and a belt-back jacket!

belt-backclose.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like to say: "Hat wearing is fun, hat buying is a serious business"

Hat buying is serious because you are buying a quality article, to last you for many years, and to reflect your own individuality and style. Hat wearing is fun because it reflects your own individuality and style!

I only have a few hats but I always get a good quality item. I look in department stores but I don't like the "plastic" stingies they usually have. They are fine on a young fella, don't get me wrong, but it's not MY style.

I agree with you word for word on the last paragraph. Also on the statement about hat buying. I would add to the reasons for seriousness of hat buying, at least for me, is not only the money laid down, but the fact that I hate to get rid of any clothing I have purchased, no matter how sorry. And so I might be doomed to live with a poor hat purchase for years before I gather my determination to get rid of it, and then only sadly, even if I didn't like the thing to start with.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

In answer to your question, WHO is wearing the hat? You or the other folks who look at you.? What does it matter what others think or say, WHAT do you feel? Been wearing many styles of hats with a lot of DIFFERENT clothes for 50 years now and I wear what I LIKE with what I LIKE ! If you worry what OTHERS think or say, DON"T wear a hat! It's YOUR head :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo