Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Makeup Tutorial

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I struggle at the moment to do that as my lower lip is quite full - not complaining about that but makes it more difficult to achieve this look - and it is also asymmetrical, one half being fuller that the other, which is a right pain when it comes to putting on bright lipstick and creating a defined shape. Sometimes I think I got it right then I step back 2 metres from the mirror and there it is , the wonky mouth :rage: And I really wish I had become interested in make up at least 10 years ago, that would have been a nice practice time! Instead I only started wearing make up on a frequent basis at around 26, but nothing fancy, just foundation, eye liner and mascara. So now I can't really expect to get it right all of a sudden. But I'll keep practicing!
And thank you ladies for your kind words - it encourages one to keep trying.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:
I struggle at the moment to do that as my lower lip is quite full - not complaining about that but makes it more difficult to achieve this look - and it is also asymmetrical, one half being fuller that the other, which is a right pain when it comes to putting on bright lipstick and creating a defined shape. Sometimes I think I got it right then I step back 2 metres from the mirror and there it is , the wonky mouth :rage: And I really wish I had become interested in make up at least 10 years ago, that would have been a nice practice time! Instead I only started wearing make up on a frequent basis at around 26, but nothing fancy, just foundation, eye liner and mascara. So now I can't really expect to get it right all of a sudden. But I'll keep practicing!

Your lips are beautiful, I can't see anything asymmetrical there. :)

crazydaisy

Practically Family
well, being vain as I am, I did post the best photo - but the asymmetry, although not huge, is real.

Mary

Practically Family
Crazy daisy your eyebrows look great and have a natural 30's arch!

Laura Chase, you're a make-up fairy! Love the picture of how you put on your eyeshadow. It just looks so good and subtle on you.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Mary said:
I've spent the evening looking for 30's make-up tutorials and info of 30's make-up.

I ended up finding a lot of colourized photos of Garbo on this page.
http://www.garboforever.com/Garbo_Colorized.htm

But what colour are her clothes?

Colorized-N-22.jpg

M

Funny, my daily colors are just like this...I wonder if they were actually this vivid, before the colorization (looks beautiful like a technicolor movie).

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I've been looking for some sort of makeup to create the glossy-wet Jean Harlow eyelids. The usual tip is to use vaseline/petroleum jelly, but this doesn't work very well, it gets greasy and rubs off. So off to the MAC counter I went.

harlow-1933.jpg

They had a gloss liquid you can wear over your eyeshadow, which works kind of like a lipgloss. This seemed like the perfect solution, in theory, but it wasn't very wearable because it caked in the crease. It was probably designed for studio use, for photo shoots only. So in stead, I looked for something very highlighting that would go on creamy.

What I found was the Paint Pot Bare Study cream eyeshadow. It dries to powder and it's actually intended as a base, but can easily be used alone (and as a highlighter all over the face too, so it's really versatile!). As you can see, it gives a really nice light-reflecting effect. I think it's the closest you can come to the glossy eyes, while still having something wearable and durable.

The swatch on the left is Bare Study. This swatch makes Bare Study look quite white, but it's actually more like in photo 2 and 3, so this is mostly to show how light reflecting it is:
PP%2B0142%2B.jpg

The middle one here is Bare Study (click for larger photo), and this swatch is most true to color:

DSC03697+2.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Laura Chase, that's very helpful! I was on the look for something like that after I too tried Vaseline with very poor results. I still use it to shine my eyebrows, but for nothing else.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Rockapin-up said:
Iv actually worn vaseline on my lids, not alot I just put a dab if it. My friend thought that I had some sort of bronze eyeshadow on lol

Yes, I have worn vaseline as well, but I didn't find the effect striking enough, and also it was greasy and got clotted up in my crease.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Indeed. It has a very short lived effect. Than it starts to travel. I ended up with oily horrible temples. :eek:
I used vaseline on top of a colored shadow and it made that bitty, color started to move around, gathered in the crease and I had a ungracious, dirty, greasy look. Maybe it is better worn on its own, I don't know. I have rather hooded eyes, and that makes things even messier.
The use of vaseline is illustrated in Making Faces by Kevin Aucoin (which I have just got today, hurray!...) with the mention of the above cons.
I for one want something that can create that very shiny harlowesque effect but it would also stay in place. I am keen to try that Mac paint.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I'm wondering how you keep your mascara from getting all over your brow bone, while wearing vaseline. I found cream shadow to be a mess. Mascara smudged and the cream shadow likes to crease. Too bad, because they look nice in the pots.
My oily skin does that all by itself. After a few hours, I have to whipe the mascara off of my brow bone. :eusa_doh:
You can get a lot of the "mica effect" from different shadows. About every maker makes them, I usually scoop them up when I see them. Some are more heavily "pearl" than others.
I like to wear them at night, with false lashes and liner.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Reporting back: tried Mac's Bare Study, does not work for me - only shines when tried on the hand, barely noticeable when on the eye lid, nowhere near the effect I would hope to create for a 30's look. Maybe somebody with more skill can use it better, I've only tried it in the shop and I am not willing to pay to bring it home:) .

Laura Chase

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:
Reporting back: tried Mac's Bare Study, does not work for me - only shines when tried on the hand, barely noticeable when on the eye lid, nowhere near the effect I would hope to create for a 30's look. Maybe somebody with more skill can use it better, I've only tried it in the shop and I am not willing to pay to bring it home:) .

Aw, too bad, works for me, but I can't really photograph it because the shimmer is really difficult to photograph. I build up a layer.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Drea said:
Here is a 1930's make up tutorial one of my best friends made.. I think it can be used 1940's aswell..enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLgIgI0xbcg

Sorry I couldn't just post the video..couldn't figure out how to do it!

thanks everyone xo

I tried this look via the tutorial and I really had fun! It really creates a fantastic look. Love it!

Side note: Lorac did a Eye IT kit that included a balm/gloss to go over the two shadows in the palette. It was a few years ago and they are discontinued...but it was a fun palette. I bought the platinum kit and have yet to find a shade that matches the wonderful platinum/brown that came in it. It produced the most fun smokey eye....

I hate it when good products are discontinued...sigh...

miss_killin

Familiar Face
ShrinkingViolet said:
There's a reproduction of a 1930s makeup booklet on ebay (search: 1930s makeup) that has really cool pictures in colours. I noticed that the rouge was applied very high up on the cheeks, almost below the eyes. These rouge pots was the best picture I could find, I hope you get the idea.
76010.jpg
AAAAAuOV0yEAAAAAABvbYg.jpg

Aren't they cute? They're from a Spanish company called Gal. I want them all!

I tried this idea in my makeup routine this morning, it looks fantastic!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
This thread has inspired me to start looking at eyeshadow colours that aren't brown! I've known for ages that I should try other colours but the pic on page two with the colours for all the different hair colours was a great inspiration, although I'm still not entirely sure which colour I fall under!

I bought a fab inky blue by Mac called Prussian which I had a brief experiment with whilst I was away at the weekend (surprise trip to Prague - and a chance to buy make-up Duty Free) Although it might be considered a strange colour on a brown eyed lady, it is such a good colour as it is almost smokey grey when a very sheer layer is applied. I think it looked pretty good and I'm really particular.

Next the hunt is on for a good mossy green that isn't shiny. All the Mac ones were very nice but very sparkly which is not what I'm after. As I have very oily skin, I'm not keen on the shiny eyelid look for myself. It's already enough of an oil slick without adding petroleum jelly. :)

Antje

One Too Many
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I'm wondering how you keep your mascara from getting all over your brow bone, while wearing vaseline. I found cream shadow to be a mess. Mascara smudged and the cream shadow likes to crease. Too bad, because they look nice in the pots.
My oily skin does that all by itself. After a few hours, I have to whipe the mascara off of my brow bone. :eusa_doh:

here goes the same for me, I use a eye make up base and that works fine but I think vaseline wouldn't be a great idea for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot