Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Makeup Tutorial

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Laura Chase, yes those were the pictures I was thinking of! I love that Gerda Wegener drawing too.
Artful dodgette, thanks for the hints. I also found this Revlon product, Lash Jewels. It does seem to be targeted at Bratz doll teenagers, though. But maybe it would work if it's possible to apply mascara over the beads to blacken them?

It makes sense that the Maybelline mascara in the pink container is closest to the original formula - of all the mascaras I've tried this one makes the most spidery lashes ever! Here's an old Maybelline cake mascara:

mascara.jpg

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
ShrinkingViolet said:
There's a reproduction of a 1930s makeup booklet on ebay (search: 1930s makeup) that has really cool pictures in colours. I noticed that the rouge was applied very high up on the cheeks, almost below the eyes. These rouge pots was the best picture I could find, I hope you get the idea.
76010.jpg
AAAAAuOV0yEAAAAAABvbYg.jpg

Aren't they cute? They're from a Spanish company called Gal. I want them all!

thease are so adorable, do you have an idea where can i get thease ?
i know this might sound a bit vain :rolleyes: but sometimes i buy cosmetics just for the pretty packaging...

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am addicted

to the Gal lip balm. It sure doesn't hurt that it is on a fabulous tin with a 20s diva on it, in the same colors as my bedroom (I only balm at night, it's red lipstick for daytime).
Nice packaging and you can use the box for something else later!

olive bleu

One Too Many
That was fun to watch..my makeup routine is very similar but toned down quite a bit..i can't imagine the event that would allow me to carry off that much makeup really..2 comments

1.)*off Topic*-Love the cat that waltzes accross the room:)

2.) Do people normally do one eye and then the other??I always go back and forth,finishing one step and then the other.[huh]

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
olive bleu said:
2.) Do people normally do one eye and then the other??I always go back and forth,finishing one step and then the other.[huh]
I always go back and forth too. I think I would end up making it horribly uneven otherwise.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Snow White (1937) wears lovely makeup. Look how her cheeks are rouged!
snowwhite1.jpg

Laura Chase, did you get around to trying out the 1930s techniques? If you do, please post pics! You're so clever with makeups. :)

Mary

Practically Family
I've spent the evening looking for 30's make-up tutorials and info of 30's make-up.

I ended up finding a lot of colourized photos of Garbo on this page.
http://www.garboforever.com/Garbo_Colorized.htm

But what colour are her clothes?

Colorized-27.jpg

Colorized-28.jpg

I find it strange that coulourist can pick any colour of their liking. Do you think the new photos or the old are more true to actual clothes and make-up?

Still the old ones are very informative with where to put blush etc.

According to (I think newer) colourised photos Garbo wore a lot of pink eyeshadow in her films. I've never heard of pink eye shadow in the 30's. Have you ?
Colorized-N-22.jpg

M

Tikismall

New in Town
glamour-girl said:
thease are so adorable, do you have an idea where can i get thease ?
i know this might sound a bit vain :rolleyes: but sometimes i buy cosmetics just for the pretty packaging...

I LOVE packaging! Makeup and girly things should be sittin' pretty on a vanity ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mary said:
I've spent the evening looking for 30's make-up tutorials and info of 30's make-up.

I ended up finding a lot of colourized photos of Garbo on this page.

According to (I think newer) colourised photos Garbo wore a lot of pink eyeshadow in her films. I've never heard of pink eye shadow in the 30's. Have you ?
Colorized-N-22.jpg

M
I had not heard that about Garbo, my are those some pretty pictures!

I first heard of the pink eyeshadow thing on t he very day that I got into the deco dressup - a makeup artist who was doing me up used the lipstick as a powder base on my eyelids, then layered other shades over it. It's a neat effect, it deepens the colors and makes it all harmonize with the lips.

I have blue/green/grey eyes, so the pick eyeshadow looks great on me, makes my eyes themselves look less red, and the iris more contrasty. Maybe not for everyone, but a pink that is like your natural blush color is generally very flattering, and can make you look youthful and rested. I need all the help I can get!

Mary

Practically Family
Very interesting. I should definitly try this at home. (And hope I come at as Garbo;) )

Would you share more of your konowledge of 30's make-up?!

Miss 1929 said:
I had not heard that about Garbo, my are those some pretty pictures!

I first heard of the pink eyeshadow thing on t he very day that I got into the deco dressup - a makeup artist who was doing me up used the lipstick as a powder base on my eyelids, then layered other shades over it. It's a neat effect, it deepens the colors and makes it all harmonize with the lips.

I have blue/green/grey eyes, so the pick eyeshadow looks great on me, makes my eyes themselves look less red, and the iris more contrasty. Maybe not for everyone, but a pink that is like your natural blush color is generally very flattering, and can make you look youthful and rested. I need all the help I can get!

Esme

One of the Regulars
I remember using cake mascara when I first started wearing makeup. NO! it was NOT in the 30's, lol, it was in the mid 70's. It was kind of messy as I recall, not waterproof, that's for sure. I should give it another try, cause I am a little better at putting on makeup now!
Oh, and pink eyeshadow makes me look like I have conjunctivitis.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
ShrinkingViolet said:
These rouge pots was the best picture I could find, I hope you get the idea.
76010.jpg
AAAAAuOV0yEAAAAAABvbYg.jpg

Aren't they cute? They're from a Spanish company called Gal. I want them all!

Oh, cute! I'll have to look for them next time I go to Spain, I bet they are much cheaper locally.

I used to use their violet perfumed vaseline for the lips, back in my teens/early 20's, it comes in a gorgeous, original Art Nouveau tin, and it smells great. Link to the pic, it is a bit big. They have other flavours too.
I don't use vaseline anymore though, I find its addictive for the lips [huh]

I also used pressed powder from the brand Myrurgia, the formulas and packaging are still the original ones (or very similar packaging, since it is plastic now, but it is still the same design), and it is quite cheap. If I remember well it works quite nicely too... I wonder why I stopped using it?? I haven't been able to find a picture of the powder (comes in a pale blue/green box) but I found one of the rouge:

product-403747.jpg

Back then I didn't use rouge, so I have never tried it. Oh, so many things to look for next time I go to Spain! :D :D

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Medvssa said:
I also used pressed powder from the brand Myrurgia
Sorry to be quoting myself, and perhaps being a little bit off topic :eek:

I've found the Myrurgia website and they do have an English version. In the Maderas section there are some vintage packagings to be seen, really gorgeous!

http://www.myrurgia.com/eng.html

Go to: Makeup > Maderas > History

The animation loops so you may want to click on the Maderas logo at the top right to go back to the menu.
You will notice that the History ends in 1936: the start of the Spanish Civil War. You can read more about this if you go to the main menu and select About Us > History > 1929-36 and 1937-49. In the History section there are pictures of beautiful Art Deco and Edwardian perfume bottles. I hope this is slightly in topic :eek:

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:

This is a wonderful tip! I did it today and it put my whole look together, it's a very subtle effect, so don't know if it's so visible on this photo, but there it is.

Oh, and also, may I add my attempt at a 30's Snow White blush, I didn't finish the whole look that day, and mind my hair, the pins are still in the front waves, but I think this blush is the most difficult part, so I practiced.

As you see, I used a large brush, but what you don't see is that I actually also used a smaller brush first (a regular, angled blush brush) to apply the color on the right place. Then I just blended with the large blush.

The blush is juicy peach from Lily Lolo. Warm, peach blushes don't really suit me (red or pink is best on my skin), I think, but it had to be peach for the Snow White look! :)

3309252285_c976bbdc71.jpg

3309251541_0ff44ebedd.jpg

3273234063_3da71acdf8_o.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Wow, that's really pretty Laura! I have to say I have seen your pictures around the lounge and you always look really pretty and natural, I think you are very photogenic. As far as Snow White goes, I have recently realized it's been the look that got me hooked onto vintage when I was still a child. That, together with Ginger and Fred and Vivien Leigh.

I tried a different 30's look after watching that soundless Helena Rubinstein tutorial on you tube; without trying to be very accurate in colours (hey, what can you do, I'm only just learning...) I attempted to get the features contoured correctly. This was part of a triple quest in order to see how I looked better, made up in 20's, 30's or 40's style (still trying to find my place...). My 20's style make up looked like a Mr Manson impersonation :eek: due to my lack of skill :eusa_doh: .
But this is the 30's attempt:
L3n7tB567225-02.jpg

As you can see the eyebrows are not really that thin, as I don't want to go crazy on them, but they weren't made very thin on that video either. Having said that I think I plucked them a tiny bit thinner since. :eusa_doh: Oh, I don't really know what I'm doing...

Laura Chase

One Too Many
You did great on the eyebrows! I would never be able to get them that thin and arched without plucking them completely off. :D So swell job.

As for the lips, they are beautifully shaped. Now, I don't have the look you tried to achieve to compare with, but if anything, I would draw the lower lip a bit smaller, drawing on the inside of your natural lip line. Maybe that would make the lips even more harmonic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot