Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1933 Belted Back TREASURE

Marc Chevalier said:
Isn't it gratifying to know that these things are still around, and haven't all decayed into nothingness? That we can still see them today, in living color, instead of just relying on old b/w films, magazines, and catalogs? That they can still be displayed, touched, and even worn?

Yes, it is. That a garment remains in such good condition after 70-some years is a wonder in itself. Even left unused, fabric can still suffer degradation over such an extended period. Maybe that Southern California climate of yours is better than most places for maintaining the integrity of fabric (pure speculation on my part). Up here on the damp side of the Cascades it would take a temperature and humidity controlled environment to keep the fabric from growing a healthy crop of mildew, I would think, based on what I've seen pulled out of basements and storage sheds around here. Now imagine the likelihood of that fabric remaining reasonably warm and dry for, oh, seven decades or more.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Many thanks! Odd thing is, that belted back suit was half the price of the black diagonal stripe suit ... yet it could probably fetch twice as much (on eBay).

Even odder, that vintage clothing store is oneI haven't bothered to go to for years. Really don't know what made me do so yesterday. It was there, in 1985, that I bought my very first piece of vintage clothing: a heavy grey '30s overcoat with an NRA tag in it. Wonder what ever happened to it ...

Great suit for sure. Your comment put me in mind of something I have been thinking of. Time was in Sf or LA or even Seattle, the shop owner wer a bit older and even if they did not sell a lot of the good stuff, they still picked it up and sold it cheap or expensive depending on the shop.

But I never stop in to the many small shops anymore around here because the owners are all younger women who are catering to the kids and mainly women.

I don't think they would ever recognize a vintge suit anddon't carry any suits in their shop. Shame because that is a great way for them to get inot the general population. Think of all the garage sales estate sales and thrift stores that now are probably throwing out their treasures becaue none of the pickers and hop owners even know enough to pick this stuff up.

Thank god someone had the knownedge to pick this one up. Perhaps they thought it was a kitchy seventies one.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Years of learning from my own mistakes.

Not to denigrate Marc's consiederable knowledge, skill, luck and hard work, but do not underestimate the value of being in the LA area. There are so many small thrift stores that regularly still have good stuff, the number of small vintage shops scattered all over the city, and the demand that keeps the shop owners seeking the stuff. I have always found LA an amazing place for vintge lovers. Of course more demand means more competition for the good stuff. Oh yeah, also the warm climate as mentioned, and the fact that so many factories were in LA and so many people were buying the cool sportswear.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
Does the idea of the big box pleat compensate for the lack of the "action back" on the sleeve wings under the shoulders? Please advise.

By the way Benny it shows you how good your copy was from the guy in Liverpool. He should see this baby IMHO.

Great minds think alike, mate. I showed the pics to Mario the other day. He was also pleased that his work was so accurate, but would you believe, he humbly stated that the jacket looks so good simply because I gave him the design to work from! Otherwise, he stated, he'd simply make a plain everyday suit. He enjoys the variation in his work.

I can't imagine ever finding a suit like the one Marc just found here in Sydney. I'm deeply indebted to Mario for his work in recreating this lost style so that I can wear it today.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I'm always amazed at that suit whenever I see photos of it. A true marvel.

A lucky find, for sure. It's my size, too! *hint, hint* :p

SteveN

One of the Regulars
I know I'm late to the party, but what suit was found in Sydney? Searching for 'Sydney' turns up far too many hits.

I'd be quite keen to know what was found and where. I find hunting for vintage items a great way to spend a weekend and see various parts of the city I would otherwise never visit.

Benny Holiday said:
I can't imagine ever finding a suit like the one Marc just found here in Sydney. I'm deeply indebted to Mario for his work in recreating this lost style so that I can wear it today.

- SteveN

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Just a question, not really belted back related, but as far as the buttons on this suit, anyone have any knowledge on this type. I dealt in vintage for many years and have only seen this type on a vintage suit twice, one was this one in the pics. I do know these buttons from school uniform sweaters when I ws a kid and letter sweaters.

The other one was a suit from the 30s, three piece tan wool with a belted back, single breasted jacket.

Thing is, not only did they not look right, but I looked closely and could tell they wre not put on at the factory or by the original maker. Not done all that well. SO I assumed they were put on in the 70s maybe.

I changed them out and sold the suit years ago. I still think they were after market. Anyone else have any particular insight.

I will say that tan or brown buttons on a grey or blue suit of this era would not be out of line, but not this style.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Just a question, not really belted back related, but as far as the buttons on this suit, anyone have any knowledge on this type. I dealt in vintage for many years and have only seen this type on a vintage suit twice, one was this one in the pics. I do know these buttons from school uniform sweaters when I ws a kid and letter sweaters.

The other one was a suit from the 30s, three piece tan wool with a belted back, single breasted jacket.

Thing is, not only did they not look right, but I looked closely and could tell they wre not put on at the factory or by the original maker. Not done all that well. SO I assumed they were put on in the 70s maybe.

I changed them out and sold the suit years ago. I still think they were after market. Anyone else have any particular insight.

I will say that tan or brown buttons on a grey or blue suit of this era would not be out of line, but not this style.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Marc, if changing the buttons is just too much of a worry I'd be very happy if it ended up with a British postman outside my flat.

What an astounding find! You have the most enviable luck.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Good God - that's half my rent for this term alone.

Whoever got it, I envy their finances AND their new suit. Perhaps I just shouldn't look at this forum for three years to save on my mind slowly crumbling into a mess of envy.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
To beginn with, you maybe should not look at what Marc's got in his treasure trove. Whenever I see one of his incredible finds I feel a terrible aching in my purse and my online banking system shuts down with a blue screen of death... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda