Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 People, Clothes IN COLOR

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Below are screen captures from a series of COLOR home movies filmed at the New York World's Fair in summer, 1939.

These images show ordinary people of that time. It's a rare chance to see, in blazing color, what our ancestors looked and dressed like.

cap004.jpg

cap005.jpg

cap007.jpg

cap003.jpg

cap006.jpg

cap002.jpg

cap008.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cool.

They look pretty much just like folks today, just better dressed. I often tend to push the fact that things actually were in color, not just shades of grey, into the back of my mind. It's nice to see the past in color. Thanks for posting these.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Bless, you, Marc, for providing photographic proof that not everyone looked like the movie stars. These are brilliant, and really, the way many of us would have looked had we lived back then. Kudos. Please share more!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc, these are great! I'm sure I'd cry if I watched the footage... this kind of stuff effects me... it's real, not smoke and mirrors, it's the REAL 1930's that really happened and not some idealistic interpretation from Hollywood!

This photo is amazing! I love the two girls and the guy on the bench wearing a ringer T-shirt with a pith helmet and sunglasses! lol
cap054.jpg

=WR=

Steve

Practically Family
I'm floored; I've never before seen color photos (or screencaps, as the case may be) from that long ago. Wow, just wow. They all look so natural, not standing out the way we do when we dress that way; it makes me sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925