Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 People, Clothes IN COLOR

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
The rampant hatlessness is disturbing.

Well, we should remember that the fair started in April of 1939... fair weather was in the air! The attire did change as the seasons permitted. The fair lasted well into 1940 so, fair goers would have had to dress for the seasons.

I find it amazing to see these images even yet I knew color film existed as early as 1937 or so... it wasn't till 1939 that it was readily available... yet, it was still rather expensive.

To see color from 66 years ago, it kind of brings it closer to home... to see how people really looked kind of helps us in being less critical on our own period impressions I think.

The '39 World's Fair in color is just amazing!

=WR=

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Better times

Did you notice that NOT ONE of the people pictured in those shots at the NYC Worlds Fair had a CELL PHONE, an IPOD, or a DIGITAL anything!. They also did not have a SKATEBOARD, a T-Shirt, or SAGGING Pants.

Gee, the art of FINE DRESS, Gentlemen and Ladies, CONVERSTATION, interaction with one's FELLOW MAN...

LOST.............

Oh, and I bet a dime went a lot farther back then:D

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Andykev said:
Did you notice that NOT ONE of the people pictured in those shots at the NYC Worlds Fair had a CELL PHONE, an IPOD, or a DIGITAL anything!. They also did not have a SKATEBOARD, a T-Shirt, or SAGGING Pants.

Gee, the art of FINE DRESS, Gentlemen and Ladies, CONVERSTATION, interaction with one's FELLOW MAN...

LOST.............

Oh, and I bet a dime went a lot farther back then:D

There's little doubt in my mind that folks in 1939 had similar romantic notions about their crummy present and glorious past. People basically don't change. The good old days never existed.
Great photos tho. Thanks Marc.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Andykev said:
Did you notice that NOT ONE of the people pictured in those shots at the NYC Worlds Fair had a CELL PHONE, an IPOD, or a DIGITAL anything!.

Really? You're kidding... that's crazy... WOW!:p

One reason why I don't pack a Cell phone... I like being free! People seemed to get a long quite well with out Ipods and digital distractions.

Oh, they wore T-shirts... just plane colored or white ones like the the guy is wearing with his pith helmet!;)

=WR=

Brooksie

One Too Many
Thank you Marc, it was so neat to look through these pictures...they almost look like they are from a slightly later era-must be because of the color. I love how everybody has a hat!

Brooksie

Wild Root

Gone Home
Brooksie said:
I love how everybody has a hat!

Brooksie

Wait a sec... Some see very little hats and some see lots of hats... I saw an even balance of both with out and with hats my self.

You may notice that the younger teens didn't have hats... mostly the mature crowd had hats.

Interesting yes?

=WR=

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Andykev said:

Probably most of them would have loved to have a mobile 'phone, they just wouldn't have believed you such a thing exists and works.

And there's this bloke in a tee-shirt on the bench.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
One reason why I don't pack a Cell phone... I like being free! People seemed to get a long quite well with out Ipods and digital distractions.

i don't have a cell phone either Root. the irony is however that people in the 30s embraced technology, the new, and the faddish with a real zest. in a way that is what the decade was about.....MODERNISM. their modernity just looked better than ours.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Ah yes! The Phillip Medicus collection- nearly 6 hours of glorious World's Fair in marvelous kodachrome (The man's bespectacled son appears in 3 of the pictures).
I got a few "reels" from the collection (plus pictures from two other collections) and they get better every time I see them. Beautiful stuff.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Re- Cell Phones and Ipods...

If they woulda had em they woulda had em.

Re- dressing- don't forget there were things just as scandelous then as there are now! Think of the different fashions with the "bobby-soxers" and whatnot. Left people scratching their heads, I'm sure!

Novella

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
I find it amazing to see these images even yet I knew color film existed as early as 1937 or so... it wasn't till 1939 that it was readily available... yet, it was still rather expensive.

Color images from the 1930s are great - I do like the reminder that the world was always in color, regardless of what the photos left behind would persuade a person to think. But what really amazes me are the color photos from the 1900s. The first time I saw autochromes I was shocked to find out that photographers had the ability to produce color photos so early!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sound's good!

Say, speaking of 1939... right now I'm listening to a Broadcast from Sept. 21st of 1939... and they mentioned the Harvest Moon Ball, they said that Jitterbug dancers should be 18 years or older before they sign up for the competition. The grand prize is an all expenses paid trip to the New York World's Fair... how cool is that!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Novella said:
Color images from the 1930s are great - I do like the reminder that the world was always in color, regardless of what the photos left behind would persuade a person to think. But what really amazes me are the color photos from the 1900s. The first time I saw autochromes I was shocked to find out that photographers had the ability to produce color photos so early!

True! I have seen that photo from WWI and its just amazing... in fact, a friend of mine told me he saw some photos that were color as early as the 1890's!!! Now, where he saw them I can't say but, I'm going to ask because I want to see them so bad!

RE: Cell Phones and technology

Yes, they did embrace advancements in technology then... the fair was about modern ideas and the world of tomorrow... but, that world of tomorrow was way different then what we have now! I just know that if they had cell phones then, they wouldn't have them in Church, Movies and Restaurants... it just seems that every one is plugged into something today... drivers are distracted more then they have ever been before! Trust me, I can go on and on about this but I wont.

Moderation in everything I say.

=WR=

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MudInYerEye said:
There's little doubt in my mind that folks in 1939 had similar romantic notions about their crummy present and glorious past. People basically don't change. The good old days never existed.
Great photos tho. Thanks Marc.

And the people back then who dreamt of the world of the future!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Sound's good!

Say, speaking of 1939... right now I'm listening to a Broadcast from Sept. 21st of 1939... and they mentioned the Harvest Moon Ball, they said that Jitterbug dancers should be 18 years or older before they sign up for the competition. The grand prize is an all expenses paid trip to the New York World's Fair... how cool is that!

=WR=

Say, on which part of the broadcast is that?

Wild Root said:
True! I have seen that photo from WWI and its just amazing... in fact, a friend of mine told me he saw some photos that were color as early as the 1890's!!! Now, where he saw them I can't say but, I'm going to ask because I want to see them so bad!

19.jpg

Tain't 1890, but it's close (1872, in fact). But I digress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925