Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s Boating blazer and cream flannels

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-1940s-Cambridge-University-Red-Blazer-and-Cream-Flannels-/171249841892?pt=UK_Men_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item27df4936e4

I rather like this combination.

Edward

Bartender
Butlins Redcoats in 1945, Filey, Yorkshire camp:

Holiday_Camp_Gets_Going_Again-_Everyday_Life_at_a_Butlin%27s_Holiday_Camp%2C_Filey%2C_Yorkshire%2C_England%2C_UK%2C_1945_D25923.jpg

Most of these seem to have braiding on the jacket, with the exception of the one on the far left. Still, it's very plausible that this pairing is a Butlin's uniform of some sort, given the coincidence of it being with these trews. If someone only worked for them for a season, it's entirely possible they still had the unifrm but never wore the bits again, thus the apparent good condition of these... Just specualtion, but given how iconic the Butlins Redcoat uniform is, and the fact that it has been around since 1936, it's hard to imagine anyone else opting for this as a means of casual dress or w.h.y..

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I doubt that this is a Butlins jacket. The named and dated label from a cambridge tailor seems unlikely for a uniform jacket. I would assume that Butlins had their jackets made-up en masse from a large scale supplier, rather than a tailor.

Abridged

New in Town
The 1940 date doesn't seem to fit either, by this time all Butlins and most other holiday camps had been requisitioned for military or government use and remained closed until the end of the war. Of course it could have been paired up with the trousers later for use as a camp uniform or maybe worn for a stage/band act.

Edward

Bartender
I doubt that this is a Butlins jacket. The named and dated label from a cambridge tailor seems unlikely for a uniform jacket. I would assume that Butlins had their jackets made-up en masse from a large scale supplier, rather than a tailor.

That would make sense, yes - unless some really fastidious and independently wealthy young Redcoat went pp(!). Just seems odd anyone would adopt an outfit so clearly and ionically associalted with a commercial brand. Then I'm still assuming the two pieces always belonged together.

The 1940 date doesn't seem to fit either, by this time all Butlins and most other holiday camps had been requisitioned for military or government use and remained closed until the end of the war. Of course it could have been paired up with the trousers later for use as a camp uniform or maybe worn for a stage/band act.

Ah, yes--- you're right on that score. I missed the comment on the date in the text (I don't always place much faith in dates given in eBay auction titles).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot