Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1943 Article: "Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees"

ShortClara

One Too Many
The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine. This was written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II.

"Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees: There's no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.

Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:

1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.

2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.

3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.

4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

5. Stress at the outset the importance of time the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.

6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.

7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.

8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.

10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.

11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy."

from Richard Harter's World

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Well, I'm glad to see how concerned the employers would be for my well-being, and that I'd be hired due to my "husky" build. I don't know if "even-tempered" goes along with that, though! lol

Great post, ShortClara!

zaika

One Too Many
some of that is just plain old common sense! lol enough rest periods, being considerate (not just around women, but everyone), being tactful...

boy...i'm glad that i'd be hired for being 'husky' too. although i'm not even tempered nor efficient! lol

yeah, great post SC!

ShortClara

One Too Many
hmmmm... I suppose I'd be crazy and inefficient then! Well, crazy, yes... inefficient - never! :) But I'm a young married, so I have pep, even though I'm crazy. Hmm - these stereotypes are confusing my pretty little head! I think I'll see the doctor for females now. :p

Nashoba

One Too Many
ShortClara said:
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

I think that somehow...this one bothers me. The other one that bothers me is the women not being able to find their own initiative...I have more initiative than some of the men i've worked with...ah well...modern standards I suppose...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh we all know those times were sexist lol

I mean it took a World War to GET women in the workplace. I think those articles are funny and my internal equal opportunity meter is raging but that was the time.

Makes me glad I live today :)

Go *husky*

LD

katiemakeup

Practically Family
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

Love this one!

Josephine

One Too Many
katiemakeup said:

Love this one!

one of the first phrases I learned in Spanish: Yo est una pequita flora! :D

(and I'm sure I spelt it wrong...)

dostacos

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
I think that somehow...this one bothers me. The other one that bothers me is the women not being able to find their own initiative...I have more initiative than some of the men i've worked with...ah well...modern standards I suppose...
well today they would get a full court smack down on that one. that would be what ya might wanna call ILLEGAL:eusa_doh:

I guess we should cut them a little slack since before this time most working women had very few jobs, nurse, teacher, librarian and these were for a new category of job.

Of course today almost all of those would buy the management a serious case for harassment other than treat 'em nice and make sure they have uniforms that fit, I suspect the rest won't fly;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
The following is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine. This was written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment; let's not forget when this was written and the context of July 1943.

Everything changed in the US after Pearl Harbor. Massive mobilization, men enlisting in droves, workplace positions to be filled by people who were essentially unskilled labor. This country made a massive shift in an incredibly short period of time.
This article was probably put to bed six months or less after Pearl. The author(s) must have been flying by the seat(s) of their pants and using the best information available to them at the time.
These are old chestnuts in today's world but in 1943 they were doing the best they could.
We have those men and women to thank for the progress we've made since then.
Ladies, I honor each and every one of you and those who helped create a world where you can truly be who you are today.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
That is so funny, thanks for posting! Glad I live today, no matter how ugly the hipster pants are.

I wonder if there are any counterparts to this articles? "Helpfull hints for learning your husband to help in the house"? I,m sure that would be just as funny!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting this! I love reading these old articles, watching the old films, ect. Sure, we think they're quaint and old-fashioned, but it shows that employers tried to care for their employees.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another thing to remember is that these rules were targeted for the most part at factory/industrial workplaces. Women had been making up an increasingly large part of the overall workforce for years -- the 1930 Census indicated that nearly a quarter of women over the age of 13 were already working outside the home, most in clerical or service-sector jobs, and by the end of the thirties less than half of all families were built on the working father/stay-at-home mom pattern. But the idea of women working in blue-collar heavy-industrial places like airplane factories or shipyards was absolutely unprecedented, and these sorts of companies could be brutal places even for men to work -- one reason why the labor movement fought so hard for reform during the thirties. So while such rules may seem quaint and condescending today, they're an understandable response to the changes going on at the time.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment; let's not forget when this was written and the context of July 1943.

This article was probably put to bed six months or less after Pearl.

Ummm...wouldn't that have been June 1942?

This article is posted somewhere else on the Lounge; I'm sure I've seen it before.

ShortClara

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
So while such rules may seem quaint and condescending today, they're an understandable response to the changes going on at the time.

Yes, I totally agree. Crazy to think we all have the War to thank for our emancipation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy