Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning stains out of M-51?

TheMilkman

New in Town
Hey! Noob here. I recently bought an originally issued M-51 field jacket, my first military jacket. I’m overall very pleased with the quality, however there are a few somewhat faded stains on some parts of the jacket. They seem like they could be oil or something.

Does anyone know any tips for getting stains out of something like one of these field jackets? Or just for proper maintenance in general? I’ve found conflicting answers online and nothing super specific to these Field jackets. Thanks!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depends on the stain. I don't see reason for special care, just cotton shell and lining. Dish washing liquid or baking soda works on grease and oil. White vinegar if wine or blood. To my knowledge, none of the aforementioned will damage the cloth or discolour it. So pretty safe to try all. Tougher stain will be paint and glue. Solvent for those may cause discolouration.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I like OxiClean triple action for cotton. Removes even old stains. I spray the stain with OxiClean, let sit 30 minutes, then wash the entire garment in a regular detergent. The damn thing is amazing.

TheMilkman

New in Town
Depends on the stain. I don't see reason for special care, just cotton shell and lining. Dish washing liquid or baking soda works on grease and oil. White vinegar if wine or blood. To my knowledge, none of the aforementioned will damage the cloth or discolour it. So pretty safe to try all. Tougher stain will be paint and glue. Solvent for those may cause discolouration.
This worked great! Got most of the bad stains, the faded ones left just make it look lived in. Thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner