Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Schott-Beck Motorcycle Jackets

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what people thought of having to pay 30% more than Buco for one and having vinyl parts.
Today we think of pleather as cheaping out. Back then it was sold as the hard wearing alternative to leather.

IMG_7011.jpeg
IMG_7013.jpeg

unhatted

One of the Regulars
Today we think of pleather as cheaping out. Back then it was sold as the hard wearing alternative to leather.

Ah that figures. It does appear to be heavy wear areas rather than hidden ones—I was confused as to why they used leather on e.g. the underside of the epaulettes but vinyl on the inner pocket. And in fairness to the marketing the vinyl parts of mine do look factory fresh, though I’ve seen those parts cracking elsewhere.

Funny how things change, I’ve read accounts of people gleefully chucking their old tube amplifiers away when solid state was invented…

It’s funny because even the old horsehide Perfectos had vinyl on the inside hem.

I’m fairly sure my inner hem is leather. Does this mean the hem vinyl was replaced by leather before the other bits? And given the above, I wonder if people grumbled about cost-cutting(!)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
And in fairness to the marketing the vinyl parts of mine do look factory fresh, though I’ve seen those parts cracking elsewhere.

Here's another Schott with pleather parts. The inside hem looks to be in good condition, one of the sleeve gussets not so much.

IMG_7045.jpeg
IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_7049.jpeg
IMG_7047.jpeg
IMG_7048.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many

View attachment 599074 View attachment 599076

Hilarious they say it won’t crack!

I wonder what ads from the 50’s looked like and what the cost was.

When nylon came out in the very early 50’s it was also heavily marketed across the board by all brands as a hard wearing alternative.

I can’t imagine anyone in the 50’s thinking that anything is a good alternative to horsehide.

Here’s a page from the 1967 Schott catalog (Edit: maybe end of ribbon label era or beginning of cactus label era)

The “Bolta-Flex” bottom facing is mentioned as a selling feature for added strength.

IMG_7973.jpeg

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Schott wasn't the only manufacturer using pleather parts...

Buco j24L

All leather except for one sleeve gusset.

IMG_7098.jpeg
IMG_7099.jpeg
IMG_7097.jpeg

'50s Sierra. The right side lapel and epaulet are made out of pleather. Note the back side of the epaulet which is smooth instead of fuzzy. Meanwhile the part that needs to be hard wearing, the inside hem, is made out of leather. Totally random.

IMG_7092.jpeg

IMG_7093.jpeg
IMG_7096.jpeg
IMG_7094.jpeg
IMG_7095.jpeg
IMG_7100.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Schott wasn't the only manufacturer using pleather parts...
After a long discussion with @jeo and closer inspection in daylight I have come to the conclusion that it was false alarm on the Sierra having pleather parts. On closeup you can clearly see the natural fibers. It probably feels and looks like plastic because it's heavily corrected leather with a very thick and hard topcoat.

IMG_7145.jpeg

I'm still undecided on the Buco's gusset though. It has a spot where the topcoat is peeling off and on closeup you can see weird orange fibers sticking trough. Someting I don't see anywhere else on the jacket. Those fibers might be from the canvas that was used as a base for the pleather?

IMG_7147.jpeg

IMG_7151.jpeg
IMG_7150.jpeg
IMG_7149.jpeg

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
After a long discussion with @jeo and closer inspection in daylight I have come to the conclusion that it was false alarm on the Sierra having pleather parts. On closeup you can clearly see the natural fibers. It probably feels and looks like plastic because it's heavily corrected leather with a very thick and hard topcoat.

View attachment 599622

I'm still undecided on the Buco's gusset though. It has a spot where the topcoat is peeling off and on closeup you can see weird orange fibers sticking trough. Someting I don't see anywhere else on the jacket. Those fibers might be from the canvas that was used as a base for the pleather?

View attachment 599623
View attachment 599633 View attachment 599624 View attachment 599626

I knew it!! I’m pretty sure the Buco is leather too.

View attachment 599622

View attachment 599623
View attachment 599633 View attachment 599624 View attachment 599626

You've no worries, that's all leather 100% on both jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner