Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s GERMAN GREY FEDORA by OTTMAR REICH similar Silverbelly Open Road Eu 57

nightandthecity

Practically Family
now on ebay (along with various other tasty bits of vintage.....)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271694583953?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

"....Beautiful 1940s/1950s era snap-brim trilby/fedora hat by “Reich”
Maker was almost certainly Ottmar Reich of Lindenburg, Germany (operating 1838-1990). I can't find out much about the retailer (Fritz Reiher) except he was in business during the 1940s.

I have a pro measuring tool, and this measures as UK 7 (Euro 57, US 7 1/8). I normally wear UK 7 and it fits me well.

Brim is 2 1/8”, height at front is 3 ¾” and at back 3 ¼”.

Silver-grey fur-felt body with a hint of tan – very similar to the “silverbelly” colour used by Stetson for their iconic Open Road hat. “Doeskin” (napped suede-like) finish to the fur-felt.

Light brown leather sweatband with maker's stamp (Reich Doeskin Lincoln) Bavarian retailer's stamp (Fritz Reiher, Ingolstadt) and owners initial pins (KH). Thin silver-grey ribbon with matching rim binding. Silver-grey satin lining with REICH DOESKIN LINCOLN label.

The name “Doeskin Lincoln” suggests this was considered an American (or possibly British) styled hat, so the similarity to the Stetson Open Road and other silverbelly, thin ribbon US hats of the era is probably no coincidence.

Overall very good condition with no problems that I can see. Lovely, top quality hat. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner