Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Hercules Outerwear by Sears

patina

New in Town
Hello,

I have a question. Aside from a label, how would one tell what type of leather (cowhide, horsehide, ect.) the jacket is made of? The reason I ask, is because I bought a Hercules leather jacket and the label reads: "Styled and made in California" Hercules Outerwear Sears with a palm tree. There are no tags indicating the type of leather material. If anyone can shed light on this it would be great.

Also, this jacket is very stiff. What can be used to bring it back to a supple soft leather feel?

Thank you,

- Pat

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A couple of coats of pecards leather conditioner will bring back its suppleness. As far as the type of leather, you might want to put up some pics and let us have a look at it.

patina

New in Town
Ok, here are some pics of the jacket...

I found a tag to the right of the label that states cowhide. So that answers that question. However, how do I fix some of the scuff marks and the the stiffness. Also, I would really like to know what year this jacket comes from. If this jacket is made from cowhide, does that make it cheaper. Were Hercules jacks popular because they made good quality jackets? If anyone could answer that would be great.

p1194518567-6.jpg

p1194503242-6.jpg

p1194502813-6.jpg

p1194502827-6.jpg

p1194503001-6.jpg

patina

New in Town
Just wanted to add this. The original post states that the jacket is a 1950's Hercules. I am not sure at all of this. I was told it looks like 1950. Would definitely like to know the decade it comes from though.

I'd use Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Jacksons-Rejuvenator-21978-00/dp/B0039WVZGE

Then, after it's softer, I'd go with the Pecards for maintaining.
Watch out for that collar if its cracking.

This looks to be from the 50's. There is nothing wrong with cowhide, but these were a bit less expensive than Horsehide or Steerhide. Sears was a very popular department store and mail Oder catalog back in the 20th century USA. They sold good quality merchandise for resonable prices. Hercules was their higher grade clothing line.
Did yours originally have a belt that slipped through the back?
Here's my version of that jacket...but from a couple years earlier:

Last edited:

patina

New in Town
I'd use Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Jacksons-Rejuvenator-21978-00/dp/B0039WVZGE

Then, after it's softer, I'd go with the Pecards for maintaining.
Watch out for that collar if its cracking.

This looks to be from the 50's. There is nothing wrong with cowhide, but these were a bit less expensive than Horsehide or Steerhide. Sears was a very popular department store and mail Oder catalog back in the 20th century USA. They sold good quality merchandise for resonable prices. Hercules was their higher grade clothing line.
Did yours originally have a belt that slipped through the back?
Here's my version of that jacket...but from a couple years earlier:

handymike,

Thank you so much for the reply. No the jacket never had a belt at all. I bought it from eBay for $25.00 USD. Can the jacket be darkened by using the oil treatments? I would really like to get a dark tumbled leather look to it if I can. Please let me know.

- Pat

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Obenauf's LP will darken the leather and mask some of the color variation the jacket has acquired over time. On boots, I've noticed the leather color returning back to a lighter shade over the course of a few weeks, but after applying a coat of it to my Windward, I think it will remain a darker shade for quite some time. It's kind of a waxy substance, so it will make the jacket a bit sticky.

Patina, if yours is that 50's reddish-brown, it will darken a bit and the lighter areas will mellow out a bit. I sold one like that awhile back (similar color) and I'll try to get you some pictures later on. It gets a bit "burgundy-ish".

***Here are pictures, the lighter areas were very worn before the Dr Jackson's....
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?77556-FS-1940-s-Penney-s-Horsehide-Civilian-Half-belt-Jacket-Sz40&highlight=&styleid=8

Last edited:
What I meant about the belt is that I think there might have been one originally. Are there openings on the sides of the Half-belt piece on the back?

patina

New in Town
I apologize, yes, the jacket did originally come with a belt...

p1196661715-6.jpg

Is there a chance someone has a replacement belt for sale? Also, the lining in this jacket is somewhat dirty. Can anyone recommend a way to clean the lining?

Thank you,

- Pat

patina

New in Town
Handymike,

Will the "Tandy Leather Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator" fix/smooth the collar cracking? Also, what is the best method for cleaning the lining of your leather jacket. This jacket's lining is dirty and does need cleaning?

Tanks,

- Pat

No, cracks can't be fixed, only kept from getting worse.
Not sure about the liner, It might be rayon.

Last edited:

patina

New in Town
HandyMike,

Ok, so is it alright to use the Tandy Leather Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator over the collar cracks?

Thanks,

- Pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner