Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Sears Oakbrook D-Pocket Jacket

Novos

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I bought a 1950s Sears Oakbrook d-pocket over a year ago, because I've always been keen on the d-pocket style, and this one tends to pop up a reasonable price. It also has some pretty neat detailing. But my question for you fine folks is about the fit. I like the jacket a lot from the front (I deleted the photo because I know it no longer fits there), but when I look at the back I'm not happy. It's a Jekyll and Hyde situation that has me unsure how to proceed.

The sleeves are bulgy. Also the "action back" seems a bit off, it puffs out all the time regardless of what I'm doing. I thought it may have to do with the weight I've gained, but it puffed out and looked odd even when the jacket fit 100% a year ago. I know the jacket doesn't quite fit as well as it once did. :eusa_doh:

But has anyone ever done any altering to these particular jackets, such as re-stitching the arms, stitching/gluing down the action back, or is this just crazy to even ask? I know finding a tailor in my area to do such a task would be difficult.

I know I have a lot of threads with a similar purpose, but I hate to sell stuff that I genuinely like but have an aspect that is a little off.

Take a look at the pics and let me know what you folks think.

8095960111_eef20175bb.jpg

8095960189_5c9d5c4c91.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at the point where I quit blaming the jackets. It's me that needs the alterations. Look at some catalogs - even crap clothes look good on a fit guy. I'm trying myself, but even with some improvement, I see the jackets will only look so good. I don't think that jacket is big enough for you from the front-facing shot. Do you have any others that you like that we could see?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'm at the point where I quit blaming the jackets. It's me that needs the alterations. Look at some catalogs - even crap clothes look good on a fit guy. I'm trying myself, but even with some improvement, I see the jackets will only look so good. I don't think that jacket is big enough for you from the front-facing shot. Do you have any others that you like that we could see?
You and me both brother!

Novos

One of the Regulars
Very true all, and sound advice. Feel ashamed for this thread. Anyways, I guess it will be sold! Sometimes it just takes a kick in the butt. :)

Since the jacket is relatively common, I was hoping someone had a similar experience/gripe.

Last edited:
Very true all. Feel ashamed for this thread. Anyways, I guess it will be sold! Sometimes it just takes a kick in the butt. :)
No no! Do not feel bad. I just think sometimes we - me included - expect a jacket to fix "us". Those old Sears type jackets are not too flattering. And if one is not in good shape, it will accentuate that. Trust me, I put jackets on and I get bummed out. 20 years ago I looked pretty darn good, but I worked hard at it. Now, I'm trying again, but it gets harder with age. Don't be bummed, but if it motivates you to do better, there's a few of us here doing just that. One guy lost a boatload of weight and looks nothing like he used to. Think positive. Sorry if I bummed you out.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Oh no, no worries! I was momentarily bummed, but what you say is sound. I guess I expect the jackets I have to grow with me ;) , but that never seems to happen. It's a bit silly to try to alter a jacket so severely, regardless of how weird these Sears Oakbrook ones fit.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Don't be discouraged. As Butte said, a lot of us are trying to shed some of the tonnage we have put on. I think it fits fine. It's a motorcycle jacket, not NY cat walk jacket. Besides, if only models could wear jackets, all the leather companies in the world would have gone out of business decades ago!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
One more voice of encouragement. Like Butte and others here I KNOW I don't have a body for form fitting leather... YET! But I look forward to the day I start selling off coats and jackets because they're too BIG. Hang in there guy and keep em flying!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy