Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1955 Buick Super

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Interesting how the 55 Buick was the first since 41 NOT to have the toothy grille. But it still looks like a Buick! It's fascinating to me how the GM designers took what was basically the same body and differentiated the identity of all their marques so clearly. The man who drove one of those 50's Buicks was the man who had ARRIVED.
To me the toothy grille evokes Buick even more than the ventiports.
I think Oldsmobile's problem was that it had the image of the conservative fuddy duddy's car, even tho it had fine engineering, whereas Pontiac cultivated the hot car image more. When my grandparents had their 1934 Olds, I think that image was justified. Images die hard.
GM created the whole idea of cars matching the owner's self image, so I guess when the self image that Olds represented became too uncool, it was doomed.
Anyhow, I miss riding in those old land yachts.

undertaker

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Undertaker, get those shots posted, love to see them. I think that Buick in the picture is a Special, but I'm not sure. At least that's what the lettering back on the rear fender appears to indicate.

dean

Yes sir it is a Special. Notice that it only has three ventiports in stead of four like the upper end Buicks. I will look later and see if I can find those snap shots of mine.

Regards,
J.S.

undertaker

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Undertaker, get those shots posted, love to see them. I think that Buick in the picture is a Special, but I'm not sure. At least that's what the lettering back on the rear fender appears to indicate.

dean

Dean,

Here are couple of photos of the Buick I drove in highschool. My dad bought it for me for the sum of $800.00. I sold the care shortly after I married in 1998. I know where it is now and have tried several times to buy it back but have not been sucessful.
Buick2.jpg

buick.jpg

buick3.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of these photos but they are copied from some old Instamatic snap shots.

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff