Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st American Volunteer Group

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
December 20, 1941.

Flying-Tigers-P-40.jpg

December 20, 2010 marks the 69th anniversery of the activation of the A.V.G. and their first combat, which occurred over southern Yunnan Province. In their first engagement, a combination of the First and Second Squadrons, shot down nine out of ten Japanese bombers with a loss of one A.V.G. aircraft.

logolg.gif

Although, the A.V.G. was blooded over China, it was the air battles over Rangoon that stamped the hallmark on its fame as the Flying Tigers. The cold statistics for the 10 weeks the A.V.G. served at Rangoon show its strength varied between twenty and five serviceable P-40's. This tiny force met a total of a thousand-odd Japanese aircraft over Southern Burma and Thailand. In 31 encounters they destroyed 217 enemy planes and probably destroyed 43. The A.V.G. losses in combat were four pilots killed in the air, one killed while strafing and one taken prisoner. Sixteen P-40's were destroyed. During the same period, the R.A.F., fighting side by side with the A.V.G., destroyed 74 enemy planes, probably destroyed 33, with a loss of 22 Buffaloes and Hurricanes.

imagesCAJO0SY2.jpg

Winston Churchill, added his eloquence to these statistics, cabling the Governor of Burma, 'The victories of these Americans over the rice paddies of Burma are comparable in character, if not in scope, with those won by the R.A.F. over the hop fields of Kent in the Battle of Britain.

Air Vice Marshal D.F. Stephenson who replaced Manning in January, 1942, noted that while the ratio of British to German planes in the battle of Britain and been one to four, the ratio of Anglo-American fighters to Japanese planes over Rangoon was one to from four to 14.

Flying-Tiger-P-40-Tex-Hill-Print.jpg

CURTISS-WRIGHT P-40B TOMAHAWK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity Built: 241
Top Speed: 352 mph
Cruise Speed: 280 mph
Ceiling: 32,400 ft
Rate of Climb: 3,000 fpm
Range: 730 to 1,230 mi
Armament: (4) .303 caliber and (2) .50 caliber machine guns
Engine: 1,040 hp Allison V-1710-33
Empty Weight: 5,590 pounds
Loaded Weight: 7,600 pounds
Wing Span: 37'-4"
Length: 31'-9"
Height: 12'-4"

http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/

Last edited:

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
You know it is, alright. Are you a member of the AVG forum on the link you put up? It's a great forum with a good number of members who are very knowledgeable and very dedicated to the preservation of the AVG. I'd definitely love to have a signed litho like the first litho you posted. I do however have a copy of the third picture of Tex Hill's plane. The only autographs I was able to get over the years is James Howard, R.T. Smith and Tex Hill.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
I had the great privaledge to meet several of the "original" AVG some years ago at a local air show , a great bunch of Great men to say the least, Tex Hill, James Howard, R.T.Smith, etc , I am very glad to have had this opportunity and to have gotten their autographs as most but not all of those I met are now gone ! Siggy

Story

I'll Lock Up
“These are American pigeons,” said Chen Wenguang, who founded the special military pigeon unit. He remains, even at the spry age of 82, an avid pigeon aficionado who given any opportunity happily launches into a long discourse about the health and abilities of each pigeon breed.
The birds in the PLA unit are descended from a batch brought over from the U.S. by the Flying Tigers, a voluntary group that helped the Chinese fight the Japanese on China’s western front during World War Two.

http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/...28-china-raises-tiny-reserve-army-really-tiny

Edward

Bartender
Question here.... I've been struggling to find an appropriate thread for this one, with no luck so far. I've got the bug to put together for myself a decent AVG repro jacket (the Hell's Angels version has the most appeal, though part of me is tempted by the Panda Bears as that seems to be by far the least reproduced). Also been toying with the idea of an A2 for the later 23rd Fighter Group - possibly easier, given the greater proliferation of A2 repros on the used market... Anyhow. I know there is a little wriggle room for the type of jacket, given the AVG were mixed on what they took out to China (I've seen photos of an occasional A2, and even a US Army tanker jacket in use with the AVG - wish I could remember where now). I've read conflicting reports as to whether it was M422s or M422as that the AVG ordered up from the USN. Were both used, or was it definitely only one or the other? (Asking largely because I note that it seems far and away more of the latter are reproduced today).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Question here.... I've been struggling to find an appropriate thread for this one, with no luck so far. I've got the bug to put together for myself a decent AVG repro jacket (the Hell's Angels version has the most appeal, though part of me is tempted by the Panda Bears as that seems to be by far the least reproduced). Also been toying with the idea of an A2 for the later 23rd Fighter Group - possibly easier, given the greater proliferation of A2 repros on the used market... Anyhow. I know there is a little wriggle room for the type of jacket, given the AVG were mixed on what they took out to China (I've seen photos of an occasional A2, and even a US Army tanker jacket in use with the AVG - wish I could remember where now). I've read conflicting reports as to whether it was M422s or M422as that the AVG ordered up from the USN. Were both used, or was it definitely only one or the other? (Asking largely because I note that it seems far and away more of the latter are reproduced today).
This should help! http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31213-The-G1-and-the-flying-tigers&

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I used to read everything I could find on these guys. Now that I live in their neck of the woods, I really should do my own AVG tour, going to places in Burma, and visiting Kunming. Shoot, I can get to Kunming by bus. Does anyone know if there are AVG related sites or museums in China?

I'm guessing anything in Burma would have to be discovered by luck and determination.

Story

I'll Lock Up
From mid-December past

CHANGSHA - A museum commemorating the Flying Tigers, a US air squadron that helped the Chinese fight the Japanese in World War II, opened to the public in central China's Hunan Province on Tuesday.

The Flying Tigers Museum, located at the Zhijiang Airport in Zhijiang County, houses 1,387 pieces of historical artifacts from the Flying Tigers, which are on public display for the first time.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-12/19/content_16030413.htm

Edward

Bartender
The Chinese are into their history now (they are actually a very nationalist people, and the PRC government plays up this notion of patriotism a lot), so no wonder the AVG is favoured again... It would be interesting to see how they treat it, given the political intent of the AVG project having been slanted against the Maoists. I hope eventually to visit myself. I'd be wary of wearing a jacket with a blood chit featuring the Chinese Nationalist flag if you do visit. Less problematic for Laowai than a local, but even so you'll make no friends. It'd be fascinating to see - the Military Museum in Beijing is as interesting for the narrative as the artefacts.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Don't worry Eddie, there's no way I'd bring anything bearing the nationalist flag into the PRC. I've lived long enough in the far east to know that this would be ill-advised. The most I would do would be to wear my unmarked A2.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Anyone possibly have a image/photo showing an emblem that is "supposedly" of the 74th Fighter Squadron, it has a cartoon Pilot wearing a leather helmet w/goggles riding a goofy looking horse , the pilot has a 50 caliber machine gun with a short ammo belt held along side his body , the design is o a round background, I have seen two blurry photos of this design, one a "sign type" either wood/metal on the running board of an Army truck, the other an actual "leather" patch in color .

Would greatly appreciate any help with this, will make someone a leather patch of this if they can find a good clear rendering !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny/Siggy

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Is this really the 74th FS? I've been selling as the 23rd Fighter Group for ten years.
According to the book published by the Air Force, intitled, "World War II Combat Squadrons Of The United States Air Force, The Official Military Record Of Every Active Squadron". No kidding, that is the title! Your patch, is the official patch of the 74th Pursuit Squadron, during WWII. The 74th still exist, and flies Warthogs, with a different patch. There have been several different patches in the intervening years.

Yeah, I have that book, It's got quite a few discrepancies, I also have the sister book for Groups. It shows this tiger over shield design as the 23rd Fighter group. Also, Tex wore this patch as commander of the 23rd FG and he was commander of the 75th FS. I'm thinking some info got lost or confused along the way. Can't pinpoint them, but like I said, some info in the books is misleading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner