Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

21 7/8s'' size hat on a 21 3/4th - 22'' head?

If your head measures between the two dimensions you mention does that not make it a 21 7/8 by default?
I think the most important question is how do you arrive at the dimension of the hat? It is very hard to arrive at an exact measure of the inside of the hat without at least a 1/8" variance. If the hat is a good deal grab it and if it is a bit tight buy a stretcher and ease it out. If it is a tad big buy some spacers. A 1/8" diff is an easy fix. If we are talking more then it gets problematic

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
If your head measures between the two dimensions you mention does that not make it a 21 7/8 by default?
I think the most important question is how do you arrive at the dimension of the hat? It is very hard to arrive at an exact measure of the inside of the hat without at least a 1/8" variance. If the hat is a good deal grab it and if it is a bit tight buy a stretcher and ease it out. If it is a tad big buy some spacers. A 1/8" diff is an easy fix. If we are talking more then it gets problematic

I wasn't sure how sizing works.
The seller - a reputable seller - measured the interior circumference at 21 7/8''

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't sure how sizing works.
The seller - a reputable seller - measured the interior circumference at 21 7/8''
It's usually more accurate to measure length and width of the crown opening. You then add the two numbers - and divide the result by two. The new result will be very close to the US-size of the hat (21-7/8" equals US-size 7).

I know this sounds weird and "unscientific", but the method has on numerous occasions proved to be surprisingly accurate. A lot more accurate than a circumference measurement :)

RJR

It's usually more accurate to measure length and width of the crown opening. You then add the two numbers - and divide the result by two. The new result will be very close to the US-size of the hat (21-7/8" equals US-size 7).

I know this sounds weird and "unscientific", but the method has on numerous occasions proved to be surprisingly accurate. A lot more accurate than a circumference measurement :)
I agree,but remember that things made of natural materials will shrink/swell periodically.A band block or stretcher is a good investment.

Unless you can show me the circumference on a sizing device, I would rather trust the length/width measurement. I've had pretty good luck when I ask that of a seller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran