Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3.7" QF Mountain Howitzer

Story

I'll Lock Up
A total shot-in-the-dark, but does anyone have the operator's manual for this in their collection(s)?

3.7inchHowitzerBarzanOperations1932.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
The sure look Japanese; with those hat w/the flaps in the back. I thought that they were, too until I saw the shorts. I don't think the Japanese ever wore short pants. At least, I don't think they did.

An operator's manual? You mean you have one in the back yard that you are dying to try out?

I would try the RFA museum. They probably have one you could copy.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
An operator's manual? You mean you have one in the back yard that you are dying to try out? .

Snark away, resident of the land of back bacon. :D

From previous experience, US museums have been easier to deal with than those in the UK. Unfortunately, APG doesn't have one in their files (although I remember them having a copy about 15 years ago).

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Chas said:
The sure look Japanese; with those hat w/the flaps in the back. I thought that they were, too until I saw the shorts. I don't think the Japanese ever wore short pants. At least, I don't think they did.

An operator's manual? You mean you have one in the back yard that you are dying to try out?

I would try the RFA museum. They probably have one you could copy.

The gunners in the photograph are clearly British Empire (possibly the Iraq Army) as they are wearing British 1903 pattern gear. I can't quite tell, but they appear to be RRA rather than RFA or RGA. This would place the action at 1924 or later, making it a little late for the Samawa operation in 1923. This could indicate that it was in support of the notorious actions to use air-power to (at first) subdue insurrection and (finally) enforce the payment of taxes by dissident Mesopotamian (Iraqi) tribes. This lasted until the early 1930s.

This is the series of actions that created the (probable) myth that the RAF had used mustard gas on civilians 50 years before "Chemical Ali" did so*. There were certainly suggestions that gas should be used, and at least one author (Geoff Simons in "Iraq from Sumer to Saddam") seems to indicate that it was mustard (i.e. lethal) gas. Other indications are that it was "only" tear gas that was used. A statement by Winston Churchill is ambiguous,
"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas...It is sheer affectation to lacerate a man with the poisonous fragment of a bursting shell and to boggle at making his eyes water by means of lachrymatory gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes...It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gasses: gasses can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected."

In other words, most of the references in this passage suggests tear (lachrymatory) gas, but the phrase in bold suggests (in todays terms) mustard gas. It depends on the definition of the word "poisonous".

* There is some confusion between this action and the 1920 subjugation from the air (probably with machine guns) of Kurdish tribes. At the time of the 1991 Gulf War, there as a favoured statement among anti-war propagandists that the last force to 'gas Kurds' (before Saddam's forces) was the RAF...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I am glad the bartenders haven't 'pulled' this thread as it appears to be pre-WW2. I find it interesting and was preparing a defence based on the fact that the 3.7" QFMH was, in fact, used in WW2, albeit with modern disc wheels and pneumatic tyres. No need, and thanks, guys!

I have looked in great detail at a better version of the IWM photo provided by Mr. Story and, under magnification, I can't see what was making me think the gunners had RRA AoS. I therefore agree with the IWM that they are RFA and therefore this must be 1923 rather than 1924.

I will accord to Mr. Story the honour of describing the intricacies of this interesting weapon, if he wishes, but I would just like to add that it is a screw-gun (i.e. the barrel screws together in two sections). Indeed, the whole piece (carriage, trails, wheels, barrel and breech) breaks down into six (I think) sub-assemblies, each of which is capable of being carried on a mule (i.e. just over 100 kg each).

My grandfather was in one of the first units (RFA) to be issued with the weapon, on being shipped to Italy to take part in the Battle of Vittorio Veneto in 1918. As a mountain weapon the GFMH had its advantages, but its main problem was the length of time it took to assemble it and bring it into action. On a fluid front (which most mountain warfare is, by definition) this is a major drawback. By the time you have set up, the enemy is in the next valley! Frustrating, but as grandad used to say, the mountains of Italy were better than the mud of Flanders, which he had just endured... They actually got to fire the thing a few times before the war ended!

Story

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
I am glad the bartenders haven't 'pulled' this thread as it appears to be pre-WW2. I find it interesting and was preparing a defence based on the fact that the 3.7" QFMH was, in fact, used in WW2, albeit with modern disc wheels and pneumatic tyres. No need, and thanks, guys!

As with most WWI weapons, there are distinct links to WWII.

H.Johnson said:
I will accord to Mr. Story the honour of describing the intricacies of this interesting weapon.

Thank you, but your thumbnail description suffices. As for the WWII history, it was used in NW Europe (by Canadian units), in Italy, in the East and North African campaigns, and against the Japanese both in the dark early days and the final push to victory.

Interestingly enough, the spoked-wheel Iraqi weapon above was part of their OOB in 1941, when they tried to drive the British out (with Nazi help). While there's a decent OSPREY book on the subject, an online primer can be found at www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/opsrep.html

H.Johnson said:
My grandfather was in one of the first units (RFA) to be issued with the weapon, on being shipped to Italy to take part in the Battle of Vittorio Veneto in 1918. They actually got to fire the thing a few times before the war ended!

No pics, I suppose - he was too busy sweating? ;)

And the manuals I'm looking for are ...

Gun Drill:
26/Manuals/1391 QF 3.7-inch Mk 1 Howitzer on Mks 1 - 3R Carriage, 1934.
26/Manuals/1664 QF 3.7-inch Mk 1 Howitzer on Mk 4 Carriage (Provisional), 1936.
26/GS Pubs/432 QF 3.7-inch Mk 1 Howitzer on Mks 1 - 3R Carriage, 1941.
26/GS Pubs/432 QF 3.7-inch Mk 1 Howitzer on Mk 4P Carriage, 1941.
Handbook:
26/Manuals/469 QF 3.7-inch Howitzer Mk 1 on Mks 1, 2 & 3 Carriage, 1930.
26/Manuals/1738 QF 3.7-inch Howitzer Mk 1 on Carriage 3.7-inch Howitzer Mks 1, 2, 3 & 4P, 1939.
Maintenance Manual:
WO Code 1450 3.7-inch Howitzer, Ordnance QF Mks 1, 1/1, 1/2 and 3 on Carriage Mks 1/1, 2/1, 2P, 3/1 and Mks 2, 2/1 Indian, 1946.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran