Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering if anyone here has found a sturdy golden era styled boot? I'm looking for a low (6 inch ankle) lace up type. It can't have any modern looking parts, i.e. logos,velcro,etc. I like the look of the Alden 405 (the Indy boot) but it is a bit expensive at almost $300. I may yet get a pair but would like to look at some alternatives. Thanks. Best regards, Sefton

shamus

Suspended
Redwing does make one, and I see a lot of the horsehide wolverine's on ebay. And it's real vintage, but usually odd sizes.

Those Indy boots do look quite nice. I personally bought a pair of West Coast Shoes Engineer boots, but had them custom made to look like a pair of 50's engineer boots.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I just picked up a repro of a 1927 Sears catalog and it's remarkable how little work footwear has changed. Red Wing's standard six eyed moc-toes of today conform to the same essential pattern to those of 70 or 80 years ago. Comfortable too.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the ideas gentlemen! I checked out the West Coast website...those are some serious looking boots. Shamus, what is the difference between the standard engineer boots and the custom 50's that you ordered?

MudInYerEye, yeah, those old Sears catalogs are great. Now I just need a time machine so I can get some of that stuff!

Biltmore Bob, I like the look of the service shoe. I haven't found (in my limited experience) that the repros. hold up to well next to the originals. It's possible that I had a rare bad experience when trying a repro. Expensive and not very well made. again, thanks for the info!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
These are from Allen Edmonds-

00015.jpg

These are from River Junction- and relatively cheap for a fine product- $99.95
hightopshoe.jpg

Pretty good everyday boots that can be dressy too-

B
T

shamus

Suspended
what I did was ordered the Boss Boots from West Coast Shoes, but in Brown, which you have to ask for, then went with the "Motor Cycle Police" toe and the lowest sole they had. This best looked like the classic 40's-50's engineer boots. And now with a little Breaking in, they're starting to look it too. ( I had just done some brush clearing so there is a bit of grass bits still on them...)

boots1.jpg

boots2.jpg

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Sefton...

The GI Captoe Russets that I got are turning out to be worth the money. They are a good work boot if a little heavy. They claim to be made in PA, supposedly by the same company that makes Corchoran Jump Boots. Whether that is true or not I do not know, I have to take their word for it. They took about a week to break in, and I did not get any blisters. I would even be willing to shine them up and wear them with a less than formal dress outfit that called for brown shoes.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have a pair of them too Bob. Mine didn't last so well though, they cracked up a bit around the foot-bend. But I have had them re-heeled, so I guess I just about got my moneys' worth out of 'em.
They are in fact made by Cove Shoe Company- who use the Corcoran name to make their Para boots seem authentic but they're not so close in construction or quality to the WW2 article. It's just the name Corcoran, not the same WW2 company at all.

B
T

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I reckon time will tell...

I just got mine in August. They appear nicely made. After the break in period I haven't been wearing them much, maybe once a week or so. I'm rough on shoes and boots. Been wearing my Wolverines, they're much easier to get around in.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Vladimir Berkov said:
I think Red Wing makes a boot that looks sort of like the Alden Indy boot.
I found the folks on COW talking about this Red Wing. It's a style 1908 or 1909 I believe. One has a mocc toe and the other is a plain toe. It's a beautiful looking boot and I would definately buy it,but... It is only for sale in Europe and may not be available anymore! :cry:

Why are the best looking (classic style) Red Wings not sold in the U.S.? :rage:

If anyone has a U.S. source please post the info. Thanks!

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Alden

Sefton I have a pair of the Alden Indy Boots that I've had now for almost 5 years (under $200 When I bought) and I'm getting ready to have my second pair of heels put on.

They're great. I've gone thru two sets of heels and it looks like the boots could last at least thru two more sets.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I'm really getting tempted by those Alden's. It sounds like they are a sturdy boot indeed. Unfortunately they are more like $300 now :eek:

Alden changed the color of the leather a few times in the last few years. What color are yours?

If I can hold off on the Aldens for a while I may check into some Japanese market Red Wings. I will be in Japan sometime in the next couple of months and Red Wing makes several vintage styles not for sale here in the States.
Thanks for the info. can you post a few pics of your Aldens? Regards, Sefton

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Sefton, I'll try and get some photos in a few days. They've gotten a bit darker over the years but they started as a reddish russet for lack of a better description. If I remember right they were $189 at the time I bought them. I really like'm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner