Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s fashion photography

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i am constantly amazed by 1940s fashion photography. the colour photographs in particular have a very modern look. gone is the softened phosphorescent bloom of the 30s and instead we see a crisp and clean use of colour and space, and some very avant garde use of setting, props and pose. but enough chin music. let's look at some examples....

erwin blumenfeld
blumenfeld2.jpg

norman parkinson
normanparkinson.jpg

normanparkinson.gif

constantin joffe
70909_l.jpg

horst p horst
70868_l.jpg

horst193920mxsmaller.jpg

horst19550iosmaller.jpg

john rawlings
70854_l.jpg

70079_l.jpg

cecil beaton
70846_l.jpg

see more here:

http://www.condenastart.com/

AcmeNews

New in Town
Glamour vs. Sexuality

One of the great things about that era of fashion and fashion photography is the emphasis on glamour and style. Today's popular fashions, and the photographs trying to sell it, are all about sexuality. Like all fashion, this, too, shall pass. Classic styles will always be elegant, and in style.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the thing is you become desensitized to constant in-your-face sexuality seen everywhere, and subtle images like these seem so refreshing. it's nice to see women in photographs looking like they have dignity.

AcmeNews

New in Town
Thanks, Scotrace

I guess I'd be considered an occassional visitor of electronic lounges. Thanks for the warm welcome.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Great photos! My fave is this one:
horst193920mxsmaller.jpg

One thing I did notice, even back then the models seem very thin.

They were quite thin, but the average 'model' height was around 5'7"--a lot shorter than what is considered desirable today.

I think the modern edge to the photography has much to do with the publication it was shot for. I have a number of Mademoiselle magazines, which were aimed for college-age women, and the photos are somewhat softer in feel. However, the look of the photos you posted holds up very well even in today's times--and at least the models look very well put together, unlike the often disheveled looks you see in fashion mags today (with hair askew and heavily smudged eye makeup) :)

Etienne

A-List Customer
It is refreshing indeed to see women who look polished, feminine and bearing pleasant facial expressions. I am SO tired of looking at photos of women models today who have harsh, angry, hard looks on their faces!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol that is one thing that is kind of ridiculous in women's magazine's is all these ads for perfume or clothing that have these angry, pouting women in pretty much every single one of them. I wonder why they think that will sell me their product?[huh]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The petulant look.

It's everywhere today. I guess that advertisers think people in general will relate to the, "I'm petulant, and ill humored, and totally dramatic, so don't you dare mess with me,... and you best take me seriously" look.---> :mad:
lol I don't get it myself,...[huh] seeing someone that looks petulant while trying to entice me into buying a product just doesn't work on me. Has the opposite effect on me, I don't want to buy or use any product that would put me in such a bad frame of mind.

I prefer something along these lines, especially since Barbara Stanwyk is in it. :whistling
ladieshomejournaljuly44015.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'm not so sure about this petulant thing that a few have mentioned here. go back and look at the first image. she is DEFINATELY petulant. several of the others have a cool, aloof air too. remember that these images are editorial and wouldn't have had copy all around them extolling the benefits of some lipstick or other, so they didn't have to try hard to be jolly looking. they could be petulant and moody or ambiguous in the 40s too.

Naama

Practically Family
Thank you so much for posting those pictures! They are so great! It's hard to believe that they are really from the 40's they look so modern..... I love them!

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo