Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s fashion photography

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
more additions to my own thread of fashion imagery, these by Cecil Beaton:

CecilBeaton-2.jpg

CecilBeaton-3.jpg

Beaton.jpg

incidentally the woman in the red dress is my ideal. if you look like her please drop me a PM and we'll get married.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
It's everywhere today. I guess that advertisers think people in general will relate to the, "I'm petulant, and ill humored, and totally dramatic, so don't you dare mess with me,... and you best take me seriously" look.---> :mad:
lol I don't get it myself,...[huh] seeing someone that looks petulant while trying to entice me into buying a product just doesn't work on me. Has the opposite effect on me, I don't want to buy or use any product that would put me in such a bad frame of mind.

I prefer something along these lines, especially since Barbara Stanwyk is in it. :whistling
ladieshomejournaljuly44015.jpg

I love the cross promotion, "starring in Paramount's "Double Indemnity"

It ain't nothin' new. Maybe just more subtle now (or is it?)

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Two things occur to me. The first is the nice tension that comes from the obscured features in many of the photos, also the dramatic diagonals ... the strongest "line" you can present.

The second has to do with the petulance issue which does seem to have gotten worse in more recent decades ... after lightening up a bit in the 1960s. I suspect that the angry, scowling, look has been analyzed to death by the fashion industry. It may appeal to women as a symbol of empowerment and it has the effect on men of getting them to scramble around to try and make the sexy woman happy ... or to make them feel that if they are a "real man" they could potentially tame this savage beast. I caught my niece trying this out on me when she was about five. Somewhere she had picked it up and she was DAMNED good at it. Interesting because she grew up in a household with no TV. I told her to knock it off, that it didn't work on relatives and it probably wouldn't work until she was older!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot