Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s' style popularity

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's a lot of nonsense meant to convince readers that they can do "A" but not "B", straight from the Infallible Mouths of the Experts. Next year, they'll be told to do "B" but not "A".

In the mid 1980s, GQ magazine wrote that double-breasted suits should never have six buttons, only four. "The chest buttons are a decorative waste", it said. Funny thing is, whenever GQ goes on to contradict itself, it calls those earlier pronouncements "mistakes". Of course, it always ends up praising the "mistakes" later on -- when they come back in fashion.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah Baron if you're short and stocky there isn't much magic that can be done by wearing a single breasted coat, huh? I guess as long as its not horizontally striped. A frined of mine is 5'6" and I think he looks great in double breasted- better than a modern cut suit....but....[huh]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think that suit looks nice. I'd wear one!

I don't care what the "experts" say, I'm 5',6", quite stocky, and I regularly wear plaid DB suits.lol

Man, I really, really hope wide Forties lapels come back. Since vintage is hard for me to come by, I have to go with modern suits and have them fit to me. It's been dismaying to see that lapels were getting narrower, just when I want them to get wider!

Brad

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're 5'6" Brad? Your avatar says 6'2" and built like a rugby full-back. I'm 5'8". With our taste in clothing, if we ever get to meet one another in person it'll be like Cagney and Bogart! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy