Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5 Tube Radio Phonograph combos

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking at several basic 5 tube table model radio/phonographs on Ebay the last several days and am wondering how much difference there could be among them. There was a RCA Victor 55U and a 65U, that both went for about $64, and a GE that seems very similar that was unsold at $30, plus a Detrola and a Sears, and a Bakelite Emerson, I think.
Condition, and I guess cabinet styling, aside, what difference is there among them?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a Crosley 52-TP, which is yet another variation on this theme -- basically, all of these are the standard AC-DC "All American Five" circuit, with a crystal-pickup 78rpm phonograph patched into the audio circuit. The radio part is very basic and easy to get into good working order, and the phono part works well providing the crystal isn't shot -- and if anyone has ever applied a soldering iron to the terminals while monkeying around with it, it *will* be shot. Replacement cartridges are available if you look around -- basically, any set-screw crystal pickup with a 2 volt output will work if you can fit it into the arm.

So basically, the only difference is cabinet style -- inside, these are pretty much all the same thing. Not hi-fi by any means, and not something you'd want to play one-of-a-kind records on, but if you've got a stack of Kay Kyser and Harry James records you want to enjoy, they'll sound fine.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
About the only substantial change would have come with the replacement of octal tubes with miniatures, around the early fifties. This type of phono didn't last too long into the 50s, being supplanted by the portable LP/45/78 players around mid-decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart